• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LMDh updates - 3 to 6 manufacturers?

https://racer.com/2021/04/05/insight...ew-golden-era/

Three mfg committed - Acura, Porsche, Audi

I'd say GM is a shoo in

After Acura, Audi, and Porsche, which brands among Bentley, BMW, Ford, GM, Hyundai, Lamborghini, or McLaren will be next to plant their flag in LMDh? I don’t expect all seven to be represented on the WeatherTech Championship grid, but for the first time in more than a decade, there’s a reason believe we’re headed towards a new golden era in North American endurance racing.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

All the things said there were also said about DPi. How many manufacturers did we get there? Four. Only three of which were the actual manufacturer getting involved. So I'll believe it when I see it.

GM is not a guarantee from what I've been hearing. Their new head of motorsport is rumored to want the prototype program axed and the money spent on the Corvette GT and NASCAR programs.

Comment

If I were GM I'd rather invest in the GT program, too - it revitalized the image of the Corvette as a world beating sports car, and it has inherent value they couldn't get from LMDh.

I bet Ford will do a prototype, even though I'd rather a Mustang GT3.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post
        All the things said there were also said about DPi. How many manufacturers did we get there? Four. Only three of which were the actual manufacturer getting involved. So I'll believe it when I see it.
        Yep.

GM is not a guarantee from what I've been hearing. Their new head of motorsport is rumored to want the prototype program axed and the money spent on the Corvette GT and NASCAR programs.
        One thing is for sure when it comes to the NASCAR programs it's not as if Chevy has to spend anything on R&D (unless they want to study decals), just advertising.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
          One thing is for sure when it comes to the NASCAR programs it's not as if Chevy has to spend anything on R&D (unless they want to study decals), just advertising.
          They'll be spending money in the engine bay. Though certain teams build engines for each manufacturer, those engines are developed with manufacturer assistance. With hybridization an eventual inevitability in NASCAR, the manufacturers will probably be increasing that assistance a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post
            If I were GM I'd rather invest in the GT program, too - it revitalized the image of the Corvette as a world beating sports car, and it has inherent value they couldn't get from LMDh.
            I think they could get some value from LMDh if they tried hard enough.

Though if GM hadn't given up on most cars, Buick would probably have been a good brand to try in Prototypes - prior to stabbing us car buyers in the back, GM was trying to reinvent Buick into the modern era's Pontiac, and it seemed like they were starting to succeed right before they gave up. A Buick LMDh would've been big for such an effort if they were still trying.

I bet Ford will do a prototype, even though I'd rather a Mustang GT3.
            Don't get your hopes up for either. Ford barely seems to care about any motorsport outside of NASCAR right now, and they weren't happy with the amount of power IMSA settled on for the electric part of the LMDh specs.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post

So LMDh is already ahead....with 3 mfg already committed. Anything above that is gravy over DPi...right?

With GTLM becoming GTD Pro, the level of money GM has to spend to play in the top production sports car ranks just went down considerably. Yeah, there'll be a one time NRE to build the true GT3 Corvette, but a GT3 car means the potential of customer sales to bring in revenue (unlike GTLM).

Maybe overly optimistic, but I'm thinking Caddy stays in the prototype game.

Only way GM makes a racer Buick is when NASCAR finally breaks down and puts together an SUV series (and given the number of them being sold, I still think it's a good idea).

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post

So LMDh is already ahead....with 3 mfg already committed. Anything above that is gravy over DPi...right?
                As lnog as it's the actual manufacturer, yeah.

With GTLM becoming GTD Pro, the level of money GM has to spend to play in the top production sports car ranks just went down considerably. Yeah, there'll be a one time NRE to build the true GT3 Corvette, but a GT3 car means the potential of customer sales to bring in revenue (unlike GTLM).
                Don't be so sure about that. GT3 isn't as cheap to develop as it's often assumed, it just seems that way because they earn back a fair bit of the expense through the sales to teams. The cost to develop a whole new GT3-spec Corvette is not going to be that far off the cost to originally develop the current GTE car.

Don't get me wrong, I still expect GM to do a GT3 Corvette, I'm just pointing out that the amount GM has to spend will only go down SLIGHTLY, not "considerably."

Only way GM makes a racer Buick is when NASCAR finally breaks down and puts together an SUV series (and given the number of them being sold, I still think it's a good idea).
                Oh, I'm not expecting even that. My point was that had GM not given on most of their car line, it might've been a good idea.

Comment

Penske and Porsche: https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/05/04...ir-up-in-lmdh/
                  "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                    Plus allowing to privateers.
                    Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Great news for Penske and Porsche! The only downside is I can see it forcing them to cut a car from the Indycar program to free up staff.

Comment

Sometimes your wishes come true.

Just more o' the same..... http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...-and-imsa.html
                        "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Quite the sportscar news everywhere.
                          https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...m-penske-lmdh/

some nice details...its's a four car effort.
                          The new program is called Porsche Penske Motorsport, and will compete in both the IMSA WeatherTech series and the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) with two cars set to be entered into each series.
                          Hmm, a 4 car Porsche/Penske attack on La Sarthe to try to add that 24L trophy to Roger's display case!

Ricky Taylor, Pablo Montoya, Helio Castroneves, Dane Cameron, plus Simon Pagenaud

Comment

Now, if only the Sunoco Penske livery that was always so good lookin' on everythang.....T/A, CanAm, USAC, F5000, and WSC (was it ever on a Matador?)...... '

34.jpg?w=1200&h=.jpg

I know that's more than a wish tho'.....more like an impossible dream......but maybe.....if only.........
                            "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

There was Sunoco decals on the Penske Matador. But it was always RWB with either AMC or Coca Cola as the major sponsor IIRC.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X