No announcement yet.

2021 SCCA thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A seventh Swift 014 has been added to FA, and an F4 has been added to the FX entry list!

Jason Miller's Wynnfurst has finally appeared on the P1 list as well.

Comment

Very impressive Run-ons entry, it's going to be a crowded paddock, parking on the golf course? Hans Peter will crush the Atlantic field with Mirl Swan trailing is my bet. Nice to see French junior in dad's Ralt RT41, my favorite Atlantic chassis. Also impressive is 42 entries for FV, not bad for a 60 year old VW based car, also nice come back for FC with 24 entries. I assume you no longer have to finish top five in division to get an invitation, just finish a couple races? Kind of degrades the event a bit, no longer the "Race of Champions" but the "race of event finishers," not exactly the same ring to it.

Comment

The standard this year was: 3 Majors races must be entered and appearances made, which means the car and driver must appear on the track and be recorded by the timing and scoring. In the 3 2-race majors weekends, there must be 3 finishes recorded, defined as completing 50% of the winners total laps. Believe it or not, this is tougher than some previous years. For last year's truncated season, holding a National license and breathing were the Runoffs minimum requirements.

In 2017 the Speedway grounds accommodated just short of 1000 competitors, a record, so it can be done, and will be done again.
        Last edited by dalz; 07-22-2021, 12:23 PM.
        "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

The FA entry list is approaching 20 cars! Currently at 17; One Ralt RT41, one Swift 008, one Phoenix F1000, one Swift 016, six PFMs, and seven Swift 014s! Gonna be interesting.

I notice Flinn Lazier has not entered anything, though.

Comment

Signs of life for the ol' RT41-Toyota--James French topped the RA Cat Majors field. Then again, it's James French.
            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
              Signs of life for the ol' RT41-Toyota--James French topped the RA Cat Majors field. Then again, it's James French.
              High speed tracks like RA, Daytona, and Indy seem to be where smoother-aero cars like the Ralt should be able to shine. But now that those Swift 014s are getting the Mazda engines squeezed into them I worry that power may overcome this. That being said, only one of the 014s entered so far is expressly listed as having the Mazda engine, so I can't say how far these conversions kits have spread so far.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post

High speed tracks like RA, Daytona, and Indy seem to be where smoother-aero cars like the Ralt should be able to shine. But now that those Swift 014s are getting the Mazda engines squeezed into them I worry that power may overcome this. That being said, only one of the 014s entered so far is expressly listed as having the Mazda engine, so I can't say how far these conversions kits have spread so far.
                I'd guess that it's at least several. Some of the heavy hitters (Swan, Keith Grant) have abandoned their .016s(!). But Hans Peter and others to be entered will keep the .016 in the mix. Indy qualifies as high-speed; the longest straight this side of RA.

Met Vaughn Scott this weekend at Gingerman. Superb craftsmanship on his P2 Suzuki converted Formula Ford chassis. There are complaints that the P2 class is getting too close in performance to P1. It may the most fiercely fought engineering class currently, even amongst the store-bought cars. If the P1 guys don't want to get run over, they'll have to do more than order a Stohr and pry open the crate....

My team has made progress but I'm starting to fear that we're just too far behind the curve at this stage in this innovation battleground. Maybe the guy in the seat ain't helping....
                Last edited by dalz; Today, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                  I'd guess that it's at least several. Some of the heavy hitters (Swan, Keith Grant) have abandoned their .016s(!). But Hans Peter and others to be entered will keep the .016 in the mix. Indy qualifies as high-speed; the longest straight this side of RA.
                  Indeed. I suspect we'll see the 16s back in force at VIR next year - I'm sure those tunnels will be highly preferred.

Met Vaughn Scott this weekend at Gingerman. Superb craftsmanship on his P2 Suzuki converted Formula Ford chassis.
                  That car has always been one of the most interesting P2 cars to me ever since I first stumbled across it right around when he finished it. I was quite happy to see it in person at MO a few years back.

My team has made progress but I'm starting to fear that we're just too far behind the curve at this stage in this innovation battleground. Maybe the guy in the seat ain't helping....
                  Keep trying. You'll get somewhere eventually.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X