No announcement yet.

2020 SCCA Runoffs discussion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished where he started. Not bad given how things went at the start.

Comment

• Just got back from RA, and Schwartz's. Yes, not a good start. A lot of wing, I couldn't pull anybody and got mugged from all sides. Then the tires seemed to wake up and with some misfortune striking my competitors, it came back to me. I'll take a podium in the (most likely) final FM race.

The real story was Jason's tire choice. At the 3-minute warning he rolled up to the grid with softer-grade Goodyears with enough grooves carved into them to be considered rain tires. Rain tires are open choice,, with no restrictions. Srarting 6th, he decided this was his best shot at a podium. I wasn't included in the rules-pushing plans because at P4 I was "still a player". He said it worked for about 5 laps, then it was hang-on time. They were shredded. There are sore feelings. We go back tomorrow to sift through all the protests, against him and several others. Maybe I'll move up....

Originally posted by senorsoupe
      Outside of the caroussel isn't going to work Dalz!
      You have to have optimism, until pessimism accumulates.
      Dale
      Lake Effect Motorsports Formula Mazda

Comment

• Let us know how the protests turn out. We won't see any reporting on them unless it ends up involving something like 8 of the top 10 finishing cars. :P

Comment

• We won the original protest. The tech chief says it's airtight. A spite-based appeal of the original ruling was filed, but it had just been thrown out. It took up most of today for no reason, which I think was its primary intent. Oh well.
          Dale

Comment

• Thanks for all the “insider” views about the runoffs and SCCA. I’ve enjoyed the thread as well as being there to watch. We have talked to a number of involved folks around town this week. A sizable team from Puerto Rico, A guy that alone hauled his trailer from Houston and spent the week finding and fixing a surprise problem and finally having a satisfactory race and many others. One fellow got to check off his bucket list of running at Road America. He had no clue there was an Elkhart Lake Village, famous racing tavern Siebkens or that real road circuit racing in the 50’s led to the founding of Road America. He got to go and drive the old circuits and have lunch at Siebkens.
            Talking briefly with author Bert Levy was enjoyable, he and David Hobbs were doing book signings.
            Meeting Dalz was a highlight, a gentleman and knowledgeable and savvy racer. Thanks for your time and congrats to you and your team for a great run!

Comment

• Thanks goner, it was great meeting you! It's always nice to connect with TFers in person, and I'm never disappointed. We're all here for the same reasons, and it's obvious when we get together.
              Dale

Comment

• So were there any whispers on site about possible changes to classes for next year? Even just a guy walking around throwing random ideas on the wall to see if he could get racers behind them? :P

Comment

• Class changes are typically clandestine, closed-door affairs orchestrated by the High Priests of the Competition Rules Politboro--er, Bureau. They are implemented with timing meant to minimize what anyone can do about it.

I emailed the CRB (until VERY recently they preferred letters through the mail!) about the FX class creation and the premise that it was an "incubation" class that a previous class could "break out" of, and what criteria and timeline such an action would follow. Like writing a letter to Elvis as a kid, i got a response of, "Thanks for your interest!" And no further information was forthcoming. Life in The Club....
                  Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by dalz View Post
                    Class changes are typically clandestine, closed-door affairs orchestrated by the High Priests of the Competition Rules Politboro--er, Bureau. They are implemented with timing meant to minimize what anyone can do about it.

I emailed the CRB (until VERY recently they preferred letters through the mail!) about the FX class creation and the premise that it was an "incubation" class that a previous class could "break out" of, and what criteria and timeline such an action would follow. Like writing a letter to Elvis as a kid, i got a response of, "Thanks for your interest!" And no further information was forthcoming. Life in The Club....
                    Is there a reason why they're this openly hostile to racers? Power trip? Financial incentive I'm not thinking of?
                    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Class changes are typically clandestine, closed-door affairs orchestrated by the High Priests of the Competition Rules Politboro--er, Bureau. They are implemented with timing meant to minimize what anyone can do about it.

I see the SCCA is still the same.... I'm a member.
                      And don't forget the heat!

Comment

• Originally posted by thehairpin View Post

Is there a reason why they're this openly hostile to racers? Power trip? Financial incentive I'm not thinking of?
                        The CRB is made up of of racers, car owners and builders, and general club insiders. They're elected, but how do you know what you're getting unless you know them personally. I'm sure that there are a myriad of agendas that they bring and are thrust upon them.

There WAS a system of car count for all classes that spelled out the average number of cars that had to show up for national races that dictated if a class would be put on a watch list or be dropped. But it was amended, bypassed and ignored until, I guess it faded away.

I'm sure manufacturers and other big interests influence the classes, the rise of Super Touring and the club-owned Enterprise classes are examples. The whole FX affair tiresomely documented here is solely a creation of a CRB member and racer who went against all common sense and advocates from several classes to do what HE (and probably a few of his buddies) wanted. It happens.
                        Dale

Comment

The whole FX affair tiresomely documented here is solely a creation of a CRB member and racer who went against all common sense and advocates from several classes to do what HE (and probably a few of his buddies) wanted. It happens.
                          And it's particularly annoying because FX is, in concept, something the SCCA needs. But little about it has been handled properly.

Comment

The CRB is made up of of racers, car owners and builders, and general club insiders. They're elected, but how do you know what you're getting unless you know them personally. I'm sure that there are a myriad of agendas that they bring and are thrust upon them.

There WAS a system of car count for all classes that spelled out the average number of cars that had to show up for national races that dictated if a class would be put on a watch list or be dropped. But it was amended, bypassed and ignored until, I guess it faded away.

I'm sure manufacturers and other big interests influence the classes, the rise of Super Touring and the club-owned Enterprise classes are examples. The whole FX affair tiresomely documented here is solely a creation of a CRB member and racer who went against all common sense and advocates from several classes to do what HE (and probably a few of his buddies) wanted. It happens.
                            Would said member ne the guy who goes on the club racing message boards (elsewhere, not here) and complain about USF2000 cars not belonging in club racing?
                            Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by thehairpin View Post

Would said member ne the guy who goes on the club racing message boards (elsewhere, not here) and complain about USF2000 cars not belonging in club racing?
                              Hmm, I dunno, I haven't seen posts like that from him. He posts infrequently on the leading club OW racing forum, never saw anything about CRB politics from him. He's a successful racer in his own right. He was not at the Runoffs this year.
                              Dale

Comment

• On-demand videos are all up: https://www.scca.com/videos?categori...a-2020-runoffs

Go and enjoy that which you missed live!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X