No announcement yet.

HPD/Acura to split with Team Penske after this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While Joest Mazda was far from a 'disaster', it did not produce the results Mazda expected. After all, they hired the team that ran the all-conquering Audi diesels. And I'm sure Mazda paid top dollar to get Joest. Mazda expected Joest to put the Mazdas at the sharp end of the grid and produce wins on a consistent basis...maybe a bridge too far.

At this point, though a small sample, Multimatic is producing as good a results as Joest at what I'm confident is a lower price.
    Will have to admit a more favorable BoP has helped.

To put it on topic, could Acura have Joest in mind? What are Joest up to these days?
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Looks like Dane Cameron. Juan Pablo Montoya, Helio Castroneves and Ricky Taylor all need to look for a new ride in 2021.

https://racer.com/2020/07/30/penske-...ions-for-2021/
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
        Aim Vasser Sullivan are currently in GTD, with a pseudo factory Lexus effort. I doubt seriously they would want to pay for customer Acura GTDs. So if they go Acura, they move up to DPi (LMDh future).
        I believe the Lexus team will have to be a customer team in 2021. This is the same IMSA-mandated transition Meyer-Shank went through with the Acura NSX GTD program. GTD is supposed to be customers-only.

Meyer Shank is already an Acura team with GTD entries. Can't recall, but they may have run DPi or LMP2 in past. I'm sure they'd love to get a factory deal for DPi.
        MSR won Petite Le Mans with an Acura LMP2 in 2016, when it was a customer program. MSR has been successful with the Acura NSX customer GTD program. Won the GTD championship last year, and has won several races.

In 2021 the Acura DPis will not be customer. They will be Factory, but the factory teams will be expected to develop some source of funding (Sponsorship). The new teams will be significantly supported by American Honda.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post

And yet you still don't think that Acura is looking for new partners....Even though it has been expressly noted that they ARE. We just don't know specifics of in what way - another single partner, or multiple single-car entries(which seems more likely).
          Of course they're looking for new partners, the topic is 2021. I don't think they'll start a new DPi venture next year, which is what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeremi View Post

Of course they're looking for new partners, the topic is 2021. I don't think they'll start a new DPi venture next year, which is what I said.
            They wouldn't be "starting a new venture." They'd just be partnering with a new team with the current equipment - no different than the Mazda program going from Joest to Multimatic, only taing place in the offseason instead of mid-season.

And it has been made VERY CLEAR that is the goal.

WTR is now being thrown around as possible new partner to HPD/Acura, and Wayne Taylor himself has confirmed that the team has no deal with ANY DPi manufacturer in place for 2021 at this time(and has been talking to "three or four" OEMs), so this is a very real possibility.

Comment

It is not VERY CLEAR that HPD will show up in DPi next year. Which is why I think they may skip a season and see how '22 looks.

Comment

It is not VERY CLEAR that HPD will show up in DPi next year. Which is why I think they may skip a season and see how '22 looks.
                It is very clear that the goal is to have a program in 2021. It's only a matter of finding a partner. They already have the cars ready to go.

Comment

It is very clear that the goal is to have a program in 2021. It's only a matter of finding a partner. They already have the cars ready to go.
                  It is very clear that of course they're going to leave the door open to accomplishing this, and maybe they will. The problem is they are hinting about "new realities", which makes it VERY CLEAR starting over with new partners during a pandemic may not be a path HPD is willing to go down.

Comment

It is very clear that of course they're going to leave the door open to accomplishing this, and maybe they will. The problem is they are hinting about "new realities", which makes it VERY CLEAR starting over with new partners during a pandemic may not be a path HPD is willing to go down.
                    The "new reality" deals with the matter of whether or not to go forward with DPi2.0, which is scheduled to debut in 2022. (I expect issues stemming from COVID to delay it to 2023, but no decision has been made on that as of yet)

COVID is not a severe enough roadblock to stop the program when it comes to equipment that has already been built and can be run by whomever they partner with. It has been stated as clearly as it can be (without one side looking like they're throwing the other under the bus) that the Penske/Acura split was due to a difference of opinion on how to handle the program - Penske wanted exclusivity, HPD/Acura wanted the option to partner with multiple teams.

Comment

Dude, this is why I have you blocked on Racer, you never let go and just let people have a different opinion. Nobody cares which guess is right, I don't care if mine is wrong. Get over it.

Comment

Dude, this is why I have you blocked on Racer, you never let go and just let people have a different opinion. Nobody cares which guess is right, I don't care if mine is wrong. Get over it.
                        It's not a matter of a difference of opinion. You've outright ignored what's been stated on the matter and are refusing to pay attention to when someone points out what you've overlooked. If you've blocked me on Racer, or anything else, over this sort of thing, then you're effectively admitting to refusing to acknowledge any facts that don't align with what you chose to believe. Not even effectively in fact - you outright admit that you don't care if you're wrong, after all.

It's not about being right or wrong. It's about actually paying attention to what's going on. You can have any opinion you want, but if it doesn't line up with reality you should expect to be called out for ignoring the facts.

I am NOT the only one here who's tried to point out what you've overlooked on this matter.

Comment

IF Penske can move their sports car resources back to Indy Car, I'd love to see them have a car for McLaughlin, Cameron, or Ricky Taylor. I'd also wouldn't mind seeing them keep the sports car operations running with a factory GTLM effort.

Comment

It's not a matter of a difference of opinion. You've outright ignored what's been stated on the matter and are refusing to pay attention to when someone points out what you've overlooked. If you've blocked me on Racer, or anything else, over this sort of thing, then you're effectively admitting to refusing to acknowledge any facts that don't align with what you chose to believe. Not even effectively in fact - you outright admit that you don't care if you're wrong, after all.

It's not about being right or wrong. It's about actually paying attention to what's going on. You can have any opinion you want, but if it doesn't line up with reality you should expect to be called out for ignoring the facts.

I am NOT the only one here who's tried to point out what you've overlooked on this matter.
                            He's still talking.

Comment

He's still talking.
                              And you're still trying to act like you have some kind of moral high ground(news flash: you don't) for ignoring the available information because it's been pointed out by someone you don't like(news flash: Your opinion of me has no bearing on the validity of your refusal to acknowledge the information available).

Comment

Originally posted by aeros71 View Post
                                IF Penske can move their sports car resources back to Indy Car, I'd love to see them have a car for McLaughlin, Cameron, or Ricky Taylor. I'd also wouldn't mind seeing them keep the sports car operations running with a factory GTLM effort.
                                Sadly it looks unlikely that anything is happening for the Penske sportscar program 2021. I suspect Penske is aiming to establish a partnership with someone for DPi2.0 in 2022, which honestly isn't the worst of plans they could follow.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X