Porsche to end IMSA GTLM effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post

GTO cars were a step up technologically from Trans Am. While TA cars were legal in GTO, the frontrunners in the class were far more than just TA cars. Not the best comparison to draw.
    I understand that, the point being though that high power tube chassis cars with low downforce would be a simpler, cheaper, yet still spectacular route to fill out fields if need be.

Comment

The crux of the biscuit is that the sanctioning bodies (and others) really want/need whatever GTLM/GTE Pro might morph into is for it to be a manufacturer series.
      IMSA's GTD is primarily oriented toward privateers, though IMSA's allowed factories to support new model entries. WEC's GTEAm is just privately entered GTEPro cars, sometimes the 'old' model.

WEC acceptance of a GT3 based series might be the more problematic as Europe and other areas have a significant number of GT3 based series that fall into various Pro/Am and Am/Am categories.
      US is much less, but has moved a bit that way now that the World Challenge series has morphed into another SRO venture (side complaint that 60 minute races are not endurance races and don't need 2 drivers).

There's a real chance that IMSA GTLM could become a one make 2 car entry in 2021 with only Corvette and perhaps an occasional Ferrari guest appearance. For WEC, Porsche's continuance in 2021 seem tenuous at best.

With COVID and COVID related financial issues, GT convergence may be the only path to reconstitute a manufacturer/pro GT class.

A good view on things.
      https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...t-convergence/
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Paul Miller racing announced it has pulled out of IMSA, at least for the time being. Sounds like at least the remainder of this season.

Comment

Took a look at the 240 entry list. GTD is down to eight full-season entries before the series even leaves Daytona.
          Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Yeah, only 26 total entries at this point.
            Perhaps with everything that's going on, I should leave out the 'only' and just say 26 entries.
            BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
              Yeah, only 26 total entries at this point.
              Perhaps with everything that's going on, I should leave out the 'only' and just say 26 entries.
              Probably correct. Not likely to be much, if any, better next year either regardless of what happens COVID-wise. With major overhauls coming soon, some prospective entries are going to wait for the new equipment. GTD is the only one you could really hope to see a boost from next year.

It's an interesting time. 2022 is going to see a major overhaul of the equipment in almost every major motorsports championship in the world - the only ones that aren't either already had a major overhaul fairly recently, or is running mainly GT3 cars, and even the GT3 class itself is expected to see some changes in the coming years.

Comment

Thinking back on this, IMSA could potentially save the class, at least in '21, by giving a big BOP break to privateer programs to run cars if Porsche and Ferrari are willing to supply them. Maybe that drags Ford back, too. I don't know how GM and BMW would feel about it, whether having more cars to compete against is worth the nerfing their cars would take. But that would give them a full year (or potentially more) to transition to a GT3 Pro setup.

Which I guess brings up another question - what made the costs go so high in the class over the last 4 years that there's no privateers left? And can that be reined in to bring them back, at least temporarily?

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post
                  Which I guess brings up another question - what made the costs go so high in the class over the last 4 years that there's no privateers left? And can that be reined in to bring them back, at least temporarily?
                  It's not so much the costs, it's that GT3 is becoming more and more appealing by the day. The costs are very close between the two(the highest-price GT3 cars are actually a lot pricier than GTE cars, but a few models are also a fair bit cheaper - it kinda balances out across all the available models), but they get some of the cost back via more customer sales due to the wide adoption of GT3, and the developmental benefits of GTE over GT3 are minimal.

This is why I've been saying for a while that convergence is inevitable, and is only a matter of determining what to retain from each side.
                  Last edited by FormulaFox; Yesterday, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X