X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SCCA Road Racing classes

Interesting bit of news:

https://racer.com/2019/12/18/new-car...a-road-racing/

Summary: Formula Mazda has been replaced by Formula X, which will run F4, tube-frame USF2000, and Formula Mazda cars.

Prototype X has been added which can run pretty much any big-deal prototype car - Daytona Prototypes, Le Mans Prototypes, WSC, GTP, GT Lights.

Though both classes will be at all national events, Prototype X will not be Runoffs eligible in 2020, but Formula X will be.

Formula X, IMO, is a long overdue idea. I like the idea of Prototype X, but we're talking big-dollar machines so I doubt it will do too well.

Makes sense, the FM's are getting pretty long in the tooth and in some areas, F2000 (or Formula Continental) participation is down a bit.

PX offers the owners of 'historic/vintage' prototypes a chance to come out and play. Hoping a few do so.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Does the SCCA have any single-make classes left?
      Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin View Post
        Does the SCCA have any single-make classes left?
        Formula Enterprise, Spec Miata, Spec Racer Ford, and you can kinda-sorta say Formula Vee :P

Comment

Thanks!
          Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Forgot to mention something a bit worrying: Formula B/1000 is being folded into Formula Atlantic.

The reasoning for this is obvious; FA and FB both fluctuate entry-wise a lot, and FB is a good class for modern homebuilds, which FA lacks, so it's a fair idea to bring some of that back to FA. But it's worrying because there's a big performance gap between the two, which makes FB less attractive(particularly come the Runoffs). Unless there's some rules tweaks(at the very LEAST, the FB cars will need a lot more tire), this could kill off an entire class.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post
              I like the idea of Prototype X, but we're talking big-dollar machines so I doubt it will do too well.
              Sort of reminds me of the days of Jerry Hansen...

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

Sort of reminds me of the days of Jerry Hansen...

Just an aside, I ran into and had a nice little talk with Oscar Koveleski (same era) on the infield at the Daytona 24 about ten years ago. He enjoyed talking about his days in the Can-Am 40ish years earlier....

Excerpted from: http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/11/oscar-koveleski.html , "In 1970, he won the ASR National Championship at Road Atlanta, beating 27-time National Champion Jerry Hansen by just one-tenth of a second."
                Last edited by jimclark; 01-13-2020, 12:16 AM.
                "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

To my surprise, Jacek Mucha got an Oreca FLM09 fielded at the first Super Tour event this past weekend. I didn't expect to see ANYTHING in PX until three or four rounds in with how late that got announced! Don't know anything about the guy other than he entered the Runoffs a lot in CSR and FA back in the Road America period, so no idea if he just happened to have the car already.

Hope he's the first of many, even if we only ever see FLM09s in the class.

Comment

As a, well, lifelong FM driver, I think it sux. But I understand; if a class's nationwide participation numbers fall below a standard, this is what can happen. I should be happy it didn't get dumped to regional-only status. The most curious part of the new Formula X(pired) amalgam is that USF2 cars were not folded into the also-thin FC, their genetic sibling. This is uncharted territory, three spec cars rolled into one National class.

There were no FMs at this weekend's first Majors race at Sebring, just 2 USF2s and 2 F4s. The USF2s were faster, but none posted particularly fast lap times. A well-prepared, well-driven FM could've won. I guess that's all we can ask for.
                    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by jimclark View Post

Just an aside, I ran into and had a nice little talk with Oscar Koveleski (same era) on the infield at the Daytona 24 about ten years ago. He enjoyed talking about his days in the Can-Am 40ish years earlier....

Excerpted from: http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/11/oscar-koveleski.html , "In 1970, he won the ASR National Championship at Road Atlanta, beating 27-time National Champion Jerry Hansen by just one-tenth of a second."
                      I used to see Oscar all the time at the vintage weekends at WGI. I made me a card-carrying member of the PRDA. Through him I met the now departed Tony A2Z and the also departed Doug Magnon. I also had the pleasure of visiting the Riverside International Automotive Museum when I was out here on vacation before we moved. Sad that it’s all gone now.

I think Oscar liked Road Atlanta. I was there in 2013 and 2015 for the Petit LeMans weekend. The next time that I saw Oscar was at WGI in 2014 and I told him that I had been to Road Atlanta. He told me about how it was back in the day compared to now.

For a short time there was an additional vintage weekend at WGI in the summer that was on the same weekend as the British Grand Prix. For 2-3 years they would open the International Motor Racing Research Center in the Village of Watkins Glen so that about a dozen or so of us could watch the early morning F1 races on their big projection TV. A few of the guys were lifelong Watkins Glen residents and went all the way back to the street races. Being a transplant, it was just fun to listen to them. Anyway, on the Sunday morning of the BGP, our usual dozen ballooned to about 30 or so. I had the honor of sitting between Oscar and Tony. They were hilarious, as old friends often are...

Comment

Forgot to mention something a bit worrying: Formula B/1000 is being folded into Formula Atlantic.

The reasoning for this is obvious; FA and FB both fluctuate entry-wise a lot, and FB is a good class for modern homebuilds, which FA lacks, so it's a fair idea to bring some of that back to FA. But it's worrying because there's a big performance gap between the two, which makes FB less attractive(particularly come the Runoffs). Unless there's some rules tweaks(at the very LEAST, the FB cars will need a lot more tire), this could kill off an entire class.
                        A class that began with a lot of hype and promise collapsed into rules bickering and poor management of such. There was only one FB at the Runoffs; they let it run with the Atlantics. There is a lively discussion of its downfall--and who's to blame--over on the leading OW club racing forum.

No, an FB will never be in the ballpark with a Swift .016, whose development is still rocketing forward thanks to well-heeled FA racers.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post

A class that began with a lot of hype and promise collapsed into rules bickering and poor management of such. There was only one FB at the Runoffs; they let it run with the Atlantics. There is a lively discussion of its downfall--and who's to blame--over on the leading OW club racing forum.

No, an FB will never be in the ballpark with a Swift .016, whose development is still rocketing forward thanks to well-heeled FA racers.
                          Oh, they were in the ballpark in 2018 - only half a second between FA and FB pole time.

Trouble is, that does seem to be a bit of a fluke, as 2nd in FB quali was two seconds off pole. In my observation, FB usually seems to be closer in speeds to FC - which is where my issues with this truly lie. I think it would be FAR more suited to fold FB into FC, particularly with the new FX class in play having other cars that aren't far off the speed of current FCs. Open the restrictors on FCs and put a slight restriction on FBs, and you've got a good match.

Basically, while I'm sad to see FB be gone as it's own class, it's not THAT it's been merged into another class so much as WHICH class they merged it into that bothers me about it.

Comment

Oh, they were in the ballpark in 2018 - only half a second between FA and FB pole time.

Trouble is, that does seem to be a bit of a fluke, as 2nd in FB quali was two seconds off pole. In my observation, FB usually seems to be closer in speeds to FC - which is where my issues with this truly lie. I think it would be FAR more suited to fold FB into FC, particularly with the new FX class in play having other cars that aren't far off the speed of current FCs. Open the restrictors on FCs and put a slight restriction on FBs, and you've got a good match.

Basically, while I'm sad to see FB be gone as it's own class, it's not THAT it's been merged into another class so much as WHICH class they merged it into that bothers me about it.
                            Are you seeing a pattern? FB could've been moved to FC, USF2 could've been moved to FC (which has been advocated by several FC principals)...there is a longstanding FC racer who also is a father, perhaps godfather, on the competition rules board, who is making sure his FC playground is not tainted.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post

Are you seeing a pattern? FB could've been moved to FC, USF2 could've been moved to FC (which has been advocated by several FC principals)...there is a longstanding FC racer who also is a father, perhaps godfather, on the competition rules board, who is making sure his FC playground is not tainted.
                              Actually, the OLD USF2000 cars don't belong in FC, either - they're TOO FAST.

Seriously, go back to the 2016(last year of the old cars) USF2000 records. Look up qualifying for Indy GP. Now look at FC quali at 2017(Indy) Runoffs. The FC cars were TEN SECONDS SLOWER than the old USF2000s. The old USF2000s were THREE seconds FASTER than the Runoffs FA pole time! And that's no fluke - most of the cars were in the ten second over FC range, with the slowest still being five seconds faster. All but the slowest five cars in USF2000 quali were faster than FA.

So yeah, some weird decision-making going on here - the old USF2000s definitely belong in FA!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X