Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for someone who wants to attend the Rolex 24 someday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for someone who wants to attend the Rolex 24 someday?

I’m thinking about taking the Rolex 24 off my bucket list in the next couple of years. Any tips for a first timer? Maybe arrive Friday morning and head home Monday? Any recommendations for a Rolex rookie?

Friday's good as you get the "whatever it's called these days" race. ('don't think you can do my sleep in stands thing or if you're planning on camping. If the camping option, act fast. Back in those early days, it was no problem. Motorhomes have taken a bunch of acreage. I don't know where you're from but I head home (240 miles straight south on I-95) after it's over Sunday.

I haven't been since the revamp of the place so I might not be the bestus advisor. I've been to the 24 I don't know how many times (30+) since '75 (I moved to S. Fl. in '73 at 18) and since the mid 80s, I just git infield/grandstand (free reign in both) ticks. 'Used to camp on the infield Thurs.-Sun. those first 10ish years but no more, 'too much of a hassle.

I'll visit the infield once or twice during the race but spend most of me time in the stands (you can see like 95% of the circuit and pits). 'Feet from the cars going by, T4 of oval at top speed 'til braking for T1 into the infield. 'Don't know if you can get down to the exit of the infield, where they're coming nearly straight at you as they climb back up on the banking (oval T1), since the remodel. (just checked GS map and looks like you still can:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...050E91D09&_z=z

Even more betterer: http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...148E7AF72&_z=z

Provisions in the car (obviously you can come and go from the facility with a pass out and I like to have my stock of brewskies, 'specially at Speedway prices) and still a visit to a restaurants or stores during the event. I sleep in the stands, bundled up and blanketed at times (gets cold). 'Get my best sleep to the music of the cars going by feet away.

Back in the GARRA days and before, there were Forums devoted to the series (GARRA, IMSA, etc.) where you would have been able to get some major input about more. I wore the extries (paddock, meet &greets, etc.) out in my "formative" years.

Sorry I can't be more help offhand. Any questions go ahead and PM me. I'll do my best fer ya.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Originally posted by racefanindy View Post
      I’m thinking about taking the Rolex 24 off my bucket list in the next couple of years. Any tips for a first timer? Maybe arrive Friday morning and head home Monday? Any recommendations for a Rolex rookie?
      Lots and lots of caffeine!!! You won't want to miss a minute.
      "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Save your money and go to Sebring road course not Daytona roval.
        No signature required

Comment

I went for the first time last year. Take rain gear.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2008 5A Football State Champs
          2015 6A Football State Champs
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by turbopanzer View Post

Lots and lots of caffeine!!! You won't want to miss a minute.
            Yeah.....'need it to keep from falling asleep during lengthy "safety" yellows. (Gotta be sure to keep 'em close and runnin')

Faaarrrr less, shorter, FC yellows "back in the day" (I know, I know, I was camped down at the West Horseshoe in the 3 hour redded for watered gas, in '76. Good tent break with girlfriend tho' )

https://alex62.typepad.com/imsablog/...rs-of-day.html
            "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Be prepared for any weather conditions.

I'd recommend getting a hotel: I'd tried to be tough and stay up all night when I'd attend until it rained so much in 2017 and I got a room. Wouldn't go back to the old strategy.

Plan on walking a lot as the trams are quite busy on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                Save your money and go to Sebring road course not Daytona roval.
                you should read his question. he didn't ask about a comparison of sebring to daytona. why crap on what the dude wants to do and ask for thoughts about.

Comment

historic race cars in the plaza are cool, go see that. i seem to think there are more on saturday than friday but not 100%.
                  saturday morning is good in the garages. kinda bizarre how many people get in there.
                  people love the fan walk, give that a shot. they line up early and it gets crowded.
                  be in the grandstands for one restart at night, that's insane.
                  there is a lot of retail development near the track, not much need to pack in a ton of stuff.
                  fireworks is fun around 10pm.
                  i don't know anyone that's ever ridden the ferris wheel. i've seen it being built, maybe that's why.
                  have fun, it's a good event.

Comment

I've been going for the last 6 or 7 years with a bunch of guys I race with online. We have a great time and we plan on going forever. Luckily, my brother lives about 50 miles from the track, so we have stayed with him every year. Last year, we all stayed for the entire race (first and last time for me). It was just too much for me. I slept off and on in the rental minivan in the infield for 15 minutes at a time, which kinda ruined Sunday for me. But I'm a wuss.

If you like camping, get a spot and have a ball. If not, I would get a room somewhere within an hour, and go for the days leading up, then early race morning. Stay until you get tired and go get some solid sleep. Get back there for the morning and have a great time. We usually stop at a diner on the way back to the track and get a big breakfast. Make sure to take some warm close, it has been pretty darn cold at night recently at the 24. And rain gear, of you would walk across the street to Target and try to get some before they sell out.

I love being able to walk throughout the whole track (except the busstop) and the pits. It really is a great time. The stands are extremely impressive since the renovation, and the views are awesome from up there.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

If it hasn't been mentioned already be sure to go down on the grid pre-race. Very cool to see the cars up close and the drivers are approachable. In fact I found the crew members more self-important than the drivers.
                        Center Grove Trojans
                        2008 5A Football State Champs
                        2015 6A Football State Champs
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X