Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRO Motorsports Group 2020 changes

Random tidbits upcoming SRO Motorsport Group series changes:

Blancpain will be ending their title sponsorship at the end of this year. No replacement title sponsor has been announced. This would appear to be a big deal, Blancpain held title for something lke 11 or 12 years.

For the US, GT World Challenge America will discontinue the GT3 Pro group..Pro/Am and Am/Am will remain.

On the global stage, GT2 will see additional emphasis with standalone races planned. Ratel says his plans are for GT2 to become the 'premiere' class. Only Porsche and Audi are currently building GT2 cars, with McLaren having reversed course on their plan to build a GT2.

Global GT World Challenge calendar will have 23 non-clashing events across Europe, North America and Asia. Includes an 8 hour endurance event at IMS.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

This series is fancy club racing. very much the same, as I was a club racer, where people showed up, practiced, qual and raced in front of friends and family. Got a trophy and went home.

I used to follow WC as I had good friends racing in the series, and the cars were cool and varied. And cars I could relate to as road going daily drivers.
    No signature required

Comment

I will admit I'm not as fond of the series now as in the past. I preferred the old World Challenge with true sprint races and no driver changes. I liked being able to cheer for A driver....

Yes, the series has morphed to a model where the driver/owners pay all the expenses. It's likely a better financial model, but it's not as interesting to me.

Comment

Maybe IMSA can get one or two of the GT3 Pro efforts.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Remember when it briefly looked like World Challenge had the upper hand over GTD? Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
            Maybe IMSA can get one or two of the GT3 Pro efforts.
            Already got one...but it's from the European World Challenge series.
            Grasser Racing Team is set to run two Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evos for the full IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season while dropping its GT World Challenge Europe commitments.
            https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/g...s-sro-program/

Comment

Grasser is a top notch team. They will be a positive addition to the IMSA field.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X