Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doonan named IMSA President

https://racer.com/2019/10/15/doonan-...msa-president/

It seems like they got this one right! He's got a hell of a job ahead of him considering the circumstances.

An experienced racing executive.

A pressing matter, IMO, is car counts are not getting any bigger in IMSA. It's heading in the wrong direction in that regard.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

I think very highly of Doonan...and wish him success. Especially in his dealings with WEC/FIA.

In DPi, I think the car count issue will be a problem between now and the next generation DPi.. GTLM is being affected by WEC GTE and Hypercar dealings.
      GTD is doing pretty well.
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
        An experienced racing executive.

A pressing matter, IMO, is car counts are not getting any bigger in IMSA. It's heading in the wrong direction in that regard.
        As long as they cater to the manufacturers you will have this. Don't expect it to get better anytime soon. Hybrids will only make those numbers worse.
        "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Times change. Building your own race car from scratch is by and large a thing of the past, both from a technological and cost viewpoint. At least privateers can buy DPIs (unlike WEC LMP1).

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
            Times change. Building your own race car from scratch is by and large a thing of the past, both from a technological and cost viewpoint. At least privateers can buy DPIs (unlike WEC LMP1).
            Agree. The cost of these cars will far exceed the privateers budget. Hence the reason for fewer car counts. Manufacturer's can not afford to race every series.
            "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
              At least privateers can buy DPIs (unlike WEC LMP1).
              Only the Caddies and those are limited in supply.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by turbopanzer View Post

Agree. The cost of these cars will far exceed the privateers budget. Hence the reason for fewer car counts. Manufacturer's can not afford to race every series.
                And the cost of developing your own race car will exceed the cost of 'buying' from the mfg.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

Only the Caddies and those are limited in supply.
                  True today. Mazda's working toward privateer availability. Acura may or may not be.

Comment

Car counts are not too bad, considering the quality of the field. Take away crashes and the amount of cars dropping out for failures it pretty good. It would be nice to see a few more LMP2's, but the rest is pretty entertaining.

Would 40 cars have made Road Atlanta better?
                    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                      Car counts are not too bad, considering the quality of the field. Take away crashes and the amount of cars dropping out for failures it pretty good. It would be nice to see a few more LMP2's, but the rest is pretty entertaining.

Would 40 cars have made Road Atlanta better?
                      The problem is not the car count today but the car count at the Rolex and going forward. Core is out, Ganassi is out, one of the Action Express cars is out, Magnus is out, I think there's one more GTD team cutting back (Park Place?), who knows what Risi can do next year. I think, largely, DPi will be fine, there will still be 7 or 8 cars for that at every round next year. GTLM looks...eh...with 6 full time cars and maybe the occasional Ferrari or Ford appearance at the big shows. GTD's car count has dropped a bunch from just a couple of years ago and that's a going concern I think. I'm not as worried about the Rolex/Sebring/Petit counts as much as like Lime Rock, which was 18 cars last year amongst 2 classes. That's not great for carrying the show forward. How to deal with that, though, I'm not sure.

Comment

I really like this hire. JD is well-liked and knows how to work the paddock as well as the boardroom. He certainly has his work cut out for him, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post

The problem is not the car count today but the car count at the Rolex and going forward.
                          the problem isn't car count, that's the result. the problem is expense. imsa has been cutting class races (partly to keep the overall race number up) to help the teams but it's not enough. dpi & gtd are crazy expensive. more oems haven't jumped on the gtlm wagon. imsa screwed the lmp2 class with the combo & then split. that's the biggest value in imsa right now and i think they're down to 7 races.

Comment

I remember when Doonan was hustling to organize semi-pro Star Mazda races at places like Gingerman Raceway, neatly packaged into a 1hr. TV show available for purchase to independent stations.(!) He has earned his way up every rung on the ladder. I have no doubt that whatever challenges IMSA faces, he will serve them well.
                            You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X