Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACO/WEC Hypercars (or whatever it will be called)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACO/WEC Hypercars (or whatever it will be called)

Decided to split off from the other thread to reflect ACO/WEC decision to go with hypercars....

Could Ford be reconsidering a hypercar entry after the end of the factory GTE Pro effort? Ford to unveil 'extreme' version of GT.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...ercar/4478661/

And, Multimatic still working on a privateer entry of the Ford GT in GTE...
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

I don't think that car looks radical enough for hypercar, especially since the Toyota and Aston have both shown to be closer in shape to prototypes.

Baseless speculation - but maybe a new street-legal GT Evo model with a GT3 variant to go racing with? I feel like that checks a lot of boxes - a GTE customer program for WEC/Le Mans can still go forward, Ford stays in IMSA via GTD where they don't have to provide a full factory program, and there'd sure be a customer base internationally for a GT3 between IMSA, Blancpain, SuperGT, and everything else.

Comment

Things are looking up. Toyota was a given, Aston Martin a bonus (even if not hybrid) and Glickenhaus has resurfaced...the SCG 007. And it will possibly by hybrid.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...or-2020-debut/

Comment

Glickenhaus was the only* group to commit before the rules were finalized. They haven't resurfaced so much as reminded everyone they're planning to join up.

*Technically ByKolles has claimed they're committed as well, but I don't trust them.

Comment

Are these “hypercars” cars that will be available to the (extremely rich) public? Will there, by definition, be street-legal versions of these cars?

Comment

Originally posted by CouchPilot View Post
            Are these “hypercars” cars that will be available to the (extremely rich) public? Will there, by definition, be street-legal versions of these cars?
            "Hypercars" may be either production based or prototype based....so no, by definition there is not necessarily a street-legal version.
            With only three manufacturers currently committed at this point, it appears that a version Aston Martin and the Glickenhaus would be available to the public. Toyota is less clear...originally their hypercar was to be production based, but recent info says it may be prototype based.
            Though not committed at this point, potential Rebellion and/or ByKolles entries would appear to be prototype based, so no street version.
            One would assume that potential future entries by Ferrari etc. would likely be production based.

Comment

With SMP's withdrawal from the 19-20 season, looks like LMP1 will be a total of 6 cars: Two cars each from Toyota, Rebellion Racing and Team LNT.

Comment

"I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

Not familiar with the format of posting pics yet but obviously I like what Aston Martin is doing!
                  "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

Porsche's interest in Hypercar has cooled...at least for the time being. Odd that Porsche apparently had so much input to the rules development and now stands down and will concentrate on GTE.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...nterest-cools/

Meanwhile Aston confirms their Hypercar entry will NOT be hybrid.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...be-non-hybrid/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X