Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTM targets US-based series from '13

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87473

That's drool-worthy stuff right there... let's just hope Nascar doesn't screw it all up.

I would think this would be a better fix with IndyCar and ALMS.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

I'd give this series a shot.

BMW is joining Mercedes and Audi making it an interesting competition.

Comment

ITR boss Hans Werner Aufrecht told AUTOSPORT: "In America, we are working with the NASCAR organisation. Beginning in 2013, we hope to have a championship with 12 races in the United States.

"They will be six with Grand-Am and six with NASCAR events, for a standalone championship in America. I believe this is very, very good for the future of motorsport in the United States."

Aufrecht confirmed that the planned races would be exclusively for next-generation DTM cars, rather than running as a class in another series in America.

This caught my eye. I read an article a month or two ago (forget where) that speculated on a potential merger on technical regulations across multiple international series, perhaps ranging as far afield as V8 Supercars, DTM, and Grand-Am's GT class. I suppose you could add in Super GT in Japan. I can certainly see the potential for awesome if they can get it done.

What really interesting though is that he says they would run some events with Grand-Am and some with NASCAR. I can see the Grand-Am events, either as stand-alone events or as a new GT class. But the NASCAR events are confusing. There are currently four road races that you would consider NASCAR races (Road America, Montreal, Infineon, Watkins Glen). I suppose you could run a double header at two of them, but it seems weird that some would get double headers and some wouldn't. So does that mean they'd consider running DTM races at a couple of ovals, or will they just make Road America and Montreal double-headers (since they don't have Cup dates) and call it good?
        Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
          I would think this would be a better fix with IndyCar and ALMS.
          NASCAR's still in a protracted tug of war with the manufacturers over their level of technology. It's been a fight just to get fuel injection, and that's still not a done deal. Chevrolet isn't using the Camaro name plate in Nationwide, despite it being an obvious fit competing with the Mustang and Challenger, because for a car with such distinctive styling, a tweaked from clip doesn't give them the branding they want. NASCAR's also trying to find way to staunch some bleeding. I'm not saying they're in deep doo-doo, but they have seen the recession take a chunk out of their success, and certainly forging a partnership with an analogous series from Europe (and one with a higher level of tech) makes them look even more big-time.

I wonder if Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge are interested in this so they could race something far closer to their pony cars, while still keeping the marketing muscle of NASCAR behind the effort.
          Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Do you think a DTM car will outrun a Cup/NNS at these RC's? Not sure of all the technical differences, but the DTM's I think have better brakes and tires.

Doesn't Grand Am run in conjunction with Cup at Daytona in July and maybe Homestead (ovals with quick RC conversions)? That could be a way of getting them in front of an oval audience without running the oval itself.
            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Tabernerus View Post
              I wonder if Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge are interested in this so they could race something far closer to their pony cars, while still keeping the marketing muscle of NASCAR behind the effort.
              Any breaks for FWD vs RWD? Cadillac would be a good fit with the CTS-V and the German manufacturers are its competition in the showroom.

Dodge competed in the NATC series back in the '90's with the Stratus. I remember a presentation by the engineers when I was at Purdue back in '96 or so.
              It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

DTM cars are rwd.

Comment

If these 3 companies want to set up a serie in the us, it will happen one way or another.

However, imo it is just a shame that they (especially mercedes) are spending so much money on DTM. Opel left the serie because they spent $40 million a year on it and were not competitive because Mercedes and Audi spent even more. And we are talking about a national touring car championship.

I'd rather see them limit their spending in DTM (which is possible and still offer great racing as in BTCC and WTCC) and enter full time either in Le Mans racing or Nascar or Indycar.

Comment

Originally posted by Roninho View Post
                    And we are talking about a national touring car championship.
                    DTM is as national as NASCAR is international. Next year Masters go to Netherlands, Austria, UK, Spain and China so by the number of countries they visit they are more international than IndyCar.

Yes, it is mainly funded by the German side of these brands which is confusing since in America we are used to hear people complain that IRL sponsors don't want to go oversees because there is no value for them. Kind of proves that IndyCar sponsors are wrong kinds for this kind of racing. They were great when IndyCar was a national championship, but not anymore... But it is also true that the Masters are still equally popular in Germany as NASCAR is in the States. Even with their horrible cars and horrible racing, Audi and Mercedes give away thousands of tickets and bring corporate partners to participate as their guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk View Post
                      DTM is as national as NASCAR is international. Next year Masters go to Netherlands, Austria, UK, Spain and China so by the number of countries they visit they are more international than IndyCar.
                      You are right. However that was not my point with it being a 'national'-championship. What i meant with it is that apart from germany the serie really doesn't have much presence at all. Yes they have events in other countries, but no decent tv-coverage, foreign teams or sponsors, etc. etc.

But it is also true that the Masters are still equally popular in Germany as NASCAR is in the States. Even with their horrible cars and horrible racing, Audi and Mercedes give away thousands of tickets and bring corporate partners to participate as their guests.
                      Absolutely not true. Nascar is a big money machine, DTM is not. DTM lives because Mercedes wants it to, Nascar lives because there is actually a huge demand for it.

Comment

Doesn't Grand Am run in conjunction with Cup at Daytona in July and maybe Homestead (ovals with quick RC conversions)? That could be a way of getting them in front of an oval audience without running the oval itself.
                        Daytona and Homestead lend themselves to fairly quick R/C to oval conversion. Homestead could be done in hours as the infield is not used for RVs etc. Daytona does use at least portions of the infield for RV. 24hr of Daytona is week before Daytona 500 IRIC, and GrandAm runs in July also.

Not sure about other ovals, except TMS...which does not lend itself to a quick RC/oval conversion due to the infield configuration which is all RV parking.

Do you think a DTM car will outrun a Cup/NNS at these RC's?
                        Probably. Much more sophisticated suspensions and bigger tires. When TransAm and NASCAR ran together at the Glen, TA was faster (and TA had solid rear suspension).
                        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
                          Do you think a DTM car will outrun a Cup/NNS at these RC's? Not sure of all the technical differences, but the DTM's I think have better brakes and tires.

They will outrun them by a huge margin. They will probably outrun the DP's. When I heard about this possibly happening awhile ago it was rumored it might be to replace the DP's. Now I hope this takes off better than the last time Touring cars were tried in the US. I loved that CART tried it but it didn't work. But now that things are more technologically advanced maybe they will gain a better foot hold. But they will need AMerican manufacturers on board too. But for NASCAR this will be a tricky thing to try. What do they do if it, and the cars become more popular than their home product?
                          Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                            DTM cars are rwd.
                            I thought it was determined by what the production cars layout. If the production car is FWD then I think the race car is as well.
                            Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

DTM cars are rwd. They are less of a "stock car" than even a NASCAR racer. While DTM cars have full carbon fiber bodies over what is almost an prototype type chassis. Where the driver sits close to the middle. Audi bought a Mugen V-8 from the old F3000 series and uses it in DTM and is the basis for the current road going V-8. Mercedes has its own engine and Opel used the old Aurora 4.0 from the IRL.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X