Prepare before it's "your time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare before it's "your time"

Sad to bring this up with the tragedy in FL, but it may be helpful to some.

A few years ago, I had a "wake up adventure." A work accident was VERY close to collecting me. That weekend I reacted.

Wrote my own obit.

Bought birthday cards for my (now) 9 and 10 year olds for their 13th, 16th, and 18th birthdays. Wrote some kind things and put a picture of them and me in.

That Monday I got a safety deposit box, loaded it with with papers and a few photos. (I've been told if someone dies the banks are required to deny entry until an IRS audit/inventory is completed?????)

Everyday I teach my kids something useful.
    Everyday I tell my kids I love them.
    Everyday I tell them they are great kids.
    Everyday I am involved in their Scouting, dance, and school.
    Everynight I tuck them into bed.
    Everynight I pray I am able to spend another day with them.

Like I said, it's a sad time to talk about this, but maybe if we all share what we have done we can make it easier for our families?

And, back in my firefighting days in Indiana,,,, the most missed item / hardest to replace was photographs. From my Army days traveling the world to today, I sent/send copies of photos to family members. If everything I own is destroyed, I'll still have a few (smaller) photo albums.
    "OWRS did not return phone calls."

Well said.

September 15, 1980.
    Somewhere near K38 and Ensenada.

Thanks for the reminder.
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar experience, but I was 18 so no preparations were needed. But now your reminder makes rethink not "being prepared." Of course, I am prepared the most important way - knowing Christ as my Savior.

It's funny that my one experience (falling asleep while driving) scared me, but in an experience where each day could be my last (in the Marines), the thought really never crossed my mind.

Again, thanks for sharing, OW fan.

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Spencer Mac ]
      "It's an honor to wear the IRL patch,'' Two-time Indy 500 champion Helio Castroneves.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer Mac:
        <STRONG> Of course, I am prepared the most important way - knowing Christ as my Savior.[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Spencer Mac ]</STRONG>
        You still might want to get your will together.
        Gus Levy
        Life Of William Davis Montgomery

Comment

For years and years, I preached to everyone who could get into (say a parent's safe deposite box because their name was also on it, and should be) if the parents pass away and you go to the bank, DO NOT tell them your parent has died. SO, when my mom passed away in 1997, I walk into the bank, get the manager and tell him I need to get in the box because my mother had just died! Dumb, dumb and dumber! His immediate response was: "NO"; not till the state tax auditors get here! I cannot believe I did what I warned everyone else not to do. However, one is not always thinking real straight in that situation, but it was still stupid.

Make sure you have your name on your parents box, you kids have their names on yours and etc.

If you have any valuables you want to hide, do not do it in a bank/Credit Union/government authorized box. Do it somewhere else. When you want in a box, if your name is on it, they will not nor cannot ask why.

If you get into the box first and clean out of it anything valuable you don't want to pay taxes on, never admit to having gotten it and that you are still looking for items.

Also, remember this: If you have to involve an attorney to settle an estate, they will normally charge you a minimum of 10% of the total estate, so keep as much out of the estate as you can. If you know the estate is not going to be contested, you do not always have to have the will/trust/estate probated.

It is also a great idea to make out your desires for your services and put them somewhere you know they will be fine or seal them and give them to family or someone you can trust to be opened after your passing.

Another thing, in Indiana, the bank must release funds to pay for the funeral services. One bank denied that to me and I had to make a call to the Bank CEO who immediately released the funds.

Putting children's names on things is also important including cars and houses, BUT there is a catch here. If their name is on your property and they get into trouble or sued, your property can become a part of theirs and taken to cover expenses/fees/other BS like awards!

When mom went, she had made out a letter specifying exactly what she wanted to be dressed in and what songs she wanted. We didn't find the letter until three weeks later, so if you do the letter, make sure someone knows about it and its location.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus Levy:
            <STRONG>

You still might want to get your will together.</STRONG>
            I said most important (by far), not only important.
            "It's an honor to wear the IRL patch,'' Two-time Indy 500 champion Helio Castroneves.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X