IRL praises Pook...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL praises Pook...

Wow. What an incredible sight. First, Pook does nothing but try to rip the IRL and what is the IRL response?

"If CART had made the changes they're making now 10 years ago, we might still be together," said Fred Nation, spokesman for the Indy Racing League, the rival IndyCar racing circuit.
    Here's the link.
    Griz In Indy

See, that's class.

Comment

Does that mean Cory Kruseman will have to wait until 2012 for the F-1 feeder series to tell him he can't race?

Comment

And here's more from Fred Nation:

"There is no grassy knoll," Nation said. "We are concentrating on building our league, the same thing we have been doing since the first race in 1996. To the extent that there is movement from one series to another, that reflects concerns of sponsors. It also reflects the wish for stability and a predictable future, which the Indy Racing League has."
        Here's the interesting link to this story.

OK, one more quote:

"If Mr. Pook is implying that we had something to do with the decision of Honda and Toyota to leave CART, he is ignoring reality," Nation said. "Are engine companies recruiting teams and drivers? It sure seems so from what we read, but that is good business. Whenever there is trouble, it seems most people and businesses look outside for a scapegoat. Usually, it is best to look in the mirror."
        [ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Griz ]
        Griz In Indy

Comment

Fred Nation is clearly a troubled man. If his series is so great, stop talking about CART. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkolater:
            <STRONG>Fred Nation is clearly a troubled man. If his series is so great, stop talking about CART. Duh.</STRONG>
            Try to think for just a minute, Steve. The Denver papers are doing stories on the viability of CART -- a natural story for them this week, no? Well, in order to do the story they have to contact CART's largest competitor, which also performs in their neighborhood and which the CART president accuses of trying to kill CART.

Here's another couple of quotes for you:

"It's a known fact that the IRL wants CART to die," said Tracy, who in May finished second in the controversial Indianapolis 500, a race he believes he won. Helio Castroneves, who jumped from CART to IRL with Penske this year, was the winner despite Tracy's appeal. "CART just wants to go about its business. I'm sure the IRL wants this series to go under, so they have all the control."
            and
            Pook and Tracy said the behind-the-scenes assault on CART is spearheaded by IRL president and Indianapolis Motor Speedway CEO Tony George and Penske, a CART founder and the winningest team owner in open-wheel history. Neither George nor Penske would comment on the subject.

"I think Roger has a lot to do with it," Pook said. "He clearly wants to justify his departure from this series."
            It's not Fred running around yelling, "Interview me about CART!!!"

BTW, did you bother to read the first quote? Did you bother to read the entire stories? You really should...

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Griz ]
            Griz In Indy

Comment

Originally posted by Perkolater:
              <STRONG>Fred Nation is clearly a troubled man. If his series is so great, stop talking about CART. Duh.</STRONG>
              There's this thing called 'context' you don't seem to grasp. I'd be willing to bet I could find 30 articles over the past six months where a Mr. Pook spews venom for no apparent reason about the IRL.

I can find exactly one article where my man Fred even mentions the competition. And he did so in a non-inflammatory context. Do you kind of see where I'm going with this?

If you'd like more assistance in your attempts to understand reality, I stand ready to assist. I'm here for you, buddy.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: rev-ed ]

Comment

Yes, I read the stories Griz. But no, I don't know why Freddie is in them. I've been reading stories about Conseco, Wcom, USAirways etc about their viability with no quotes from execs of their competitors.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Pook's comments are necessary. But to complain about one person while condoning another seems to be a but duplicitous to me. But then the "hammer" remark was applauded here too.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Perkolater ]

Comment

The most amazing thing is that when the IRL raced at Michigan Speedway for the first time this summer, there was not one news story asking if the IRL would be around for next year's race.

Comment

I see this article as pretty unbiased. Fred was asked to comment because the article makes the assumption that one series is likely to survive while one won't.

Bottom line: It really makes no difference playing the 'what if' scenario like Nation did. The IRL isn't going away and mental gymnastics make not a hill of beans at this point in the game.

It's a well-written and researched article.

Perk, it sounds like he was asked to comment on Cart. I don't really think the subject is taboo.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Joe Baiza ]

Comment

Decent article, and classy response from Nation, but on thing has me a bit perplexed:

In the IRL, nine drivers have won 12 races, but even on oval tracks - which the IRL favors - there's not an abundance of lead changes.
                      I know he's talking about CART, but it almost sounds like he's lumping the IRL into his remarks about no on-track passing. It's a confusing statement at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobman:
                        <STRONG> It's a confusing statement at best.</STRONG>
                        Agreed.

Comment

The IRL ONCE AGAIN TAKES THE "HIGH ROAD"
                          But that's just my opinion!

Comment

the politics of dancing.
                            It's a brand new day.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget