Remember this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember this

"We are in a position of strength, and we are steadfastly in a position to defend the future of the "500" with the Indy Racing League."

Tony George
    October 24, 1995

He was right then & he's right now.
    How about that?

Comment

And...?
      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
      --Danny Noonan

Comment

Yep, he was right...and WC is the biggest race at Indianapolis...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan:
          <STRONG>Yep, he was right...and WC is the biggest race at Indianapolis...</STRONG>
          That's debatable...but is it the SLOWEST.(just stating reality)

Comment

So, what does the Brickyard 400 objectively have to do with the future of the Indianapolis 500?
            "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
            --Danny Noonan

Comment

TG and the IRL has bought short term strength to the Speedway at the cost of excluding American drivers...sound familiar...keep spinning boys and girls...the fans be damned...

Comment

"Other than to once again reiterate our almost daily, sincere invitation to the racing community that we consider all racers friends and that IRL events and the "500" are open to any legitimate team with a legal car and qualified driver..."

Tony George
                October 24, 1995

Comment

Some of us have been saying that for 7 years.

Only now are some others starting to see it. Those who wanted the IRL to replace CART should have been more careful about what they wished for.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkolater:
                    <STRONG>Only now are some others starting to see it. Those who wanted the IRL to replace CART should have been more careful about what they wished for.</STRONG>
                    Why's that?

I'm a little confused at to why a USAC guy it not being allowed his shot at the big time, but bottom line, it's Indy cars on ovals, with plenty of exciting high-speed action and passing.

Without the IRL, I probably would have watched 1 or 2 open wheel races this year.

My formula is simple -

Best OW teams, mix of drivers, well-sponsored, competitive product, on racey ovals every other week.

That's all I ask for - and I'm getting more and more of it every year.

I'm satisfied.
                    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

It's been funny posting on these message boards the last 5 years. The CART only kids have gone from debating how quickly the IRL would go under to the complete opposite side of the pendulum. Their biggest thrill these days is trying to point out "How the IRL is becoming just like CART, HA HA HA, Now we showed you".

Kinda reminds me of the character in Monty Python and the Holy Grail who continues to want to fight as he continues to loose limb after limb. "Come back here you sissy"

Comment

I have a feeling this non-issue topic will REALLY bring out the thought-challenged bleaters. H3ll, it already has.

Get over it.

Enjoy the final two races of the season. Anticipate a much bigger, better IRL next season.

Good job, Brian. Good job, Tony.

If someone feels screwed, perhaps they could call Mr. Pook. He seems willing to pay whatever it takes to get people to drive in another series. Hmmm. Imagine that. Seems as though some of the bleaters we're hearing from thought THAT was a bad thing a few years ago.

My how times have changed. I'm going to enjoy the helpless ranting of people who can't look any further beneath the surface than words.

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon:
                          <STRONG>So, what does the Brickyard 400 objectively have to do with the future of the Indianapolis 500?</STRONG>
                          Still waiting for an answer.
                          --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by Perkolater:
                            <STRONG>Some of us have been saying that for 7 years.

Only now are some others starting to see it. Those who wanted the IRL to replace CART should have been more careful about what they wished for.</STRONG>
                            Gee Perk, you're right.

Why I bet Robin is going to report that 10-12 cart teams are trying to get Kruser in one of their cars for the next cart race.

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan:
                              <STRONG>Yep, he was right...and WC is the biggest race at Indianapolis...</STRONG>
                              Your flaw in thinking is that the WC race is the second biggest race in the WC series because of the Indy 500. If it were not for the Indy 500, IMS would just be a big ole extremely boring race track to watch a WC race.

The 400 might help pay some bills, but the 500 is still what makes IMS.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X