Where do you race in 2003?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you race in 2003?

If CART and the IRL run the same basic package in 2003 (and it is looking like they will) there is really nothing to stop owners from "picking and choosing" which races they compete in.

There is some value in competing in every race for one of the series, but only in some cases. (You have tobacco sponsorship that can be displayed in one series only, winning a championship is important to you (it doesn't pay that much, so we're talking pride here), you're short on money and need the IRL's Leader's Circle to help fund your team.)

Here's the races that are "available" which 20 do you choose? (Or which 20 does your sponsor choose for you) Of course teams will have a tougher time than we will, because we don't know the TV or schedule details. (So we can't speculate on the sponsor that says, "run races that are on network tv only")

Homestead
    Monterrey (Mexico)
    Phoenix
    Long Beach
    Nazareth
    Motegi (Japan)*
    Indianapolis
    Milwaukee
    Texas
    Laguna Seca
    Pike's Peak
    Portland
    Richmond
    Toronto
    Kansas
    Nashville
    Cleveland
    Michigan
    Vancouver
    Kentucky
    Mid-Ohio
    Road America
    Montreal
    Gateway
    Denver
    Chicagoland
    Rockingham (England)*
    Germany*
    Mexico City
    Australia*
    Miami (Streets)**
    St. Petersburg, FL**

Edited to add 3 races that had been missing

*The way Chris Pook has been talking lately leads me to beleive these may not be options in 2003, but are included until we hear otherwise.
    **The way Chris Pook has been talking lately leads me to beleive these will be options in 2003.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: JoeBob ]

If you aren't rolling in dough, you run the entire IRL schedule and whatever CART events you can fit in.

If you are looking for the best return for a domestic sponsor. You choose your schedule based on expected tv audience.

If you are a sporting gentlemen you run whatever you want.
    I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Agreed. Take the Leader's Circle deal and run the IRL schedule. Then, cherry pick the CART races that don't hurt your IRL program and that draw the biggest walk up crowds. The CART TV audience won't impress your sponsor, so just target those CART races (if any) that draw the attendees that your sponsor(s) are seeking.

Of course, that assumes that you have drivers that will be productive on any type of circuit. If you limit yourself to CART oval races, you miss out on their biggest crowds (i.e., Long Beach, the Gooney, etc.)

Comment

My guess is that both the IRL and CART are going to put something together which will basically require teams to run the entire schedule.

I think we are already seeing movement in that direction with the IRL's "Leader's Circle" program. I think these types of programs will evolve to the point of "mandatory" before too long. Much like the way Baseball players aren't allowed to also play pro Football.

If they don't enforce partipaction in all of the league's events then you will run the risk of having 45 cars show up one weekend and 12 the next.

Not good for either series.

Comment

Ahh, a dream schedule thread.

Of course, I haven't looked at the weather factors... but just run these events, other than Indy, I don't care when.

Feb/Mar.
          Monterrey & Mexico City (back to back)
          St. Petersburg, FL
          Phoenix

Apr.
          Long Beach
          Texas
          Road Atlanta

May.
          Indy

June.
          Milwaukee
          Portland
          Laguna Seca (with renovations)

July.
          Cleveland
          Toronto
          Montreal
          Michigan

Aug.
          Mid-Ohio
          Road America
          Vancouver

Sept/Oct.
          Chicagoland
          Watkins Glen
          Miami (Streets)
          Fontana

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: mnkywrch ]
          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Back when CART forced the teams to choose one series or another by changing their chassis specs and schedule to create conflicts, virtually all the teams with sponsor commitments went to CART because it offered the best return for those sponsors. That situation has reversed. So I'm going to agree with what Indyracer56 wrote. There will be some incentive packages (especially from CART) thrown out to lure teams.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: don7031 ]
            I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch:
              <STRONG>Ahh, a dream schedule thread.

Of course, I haven't looked at the weather factors... but just run these events, other than Indy, I don't care when.

Feb/Mar.
              Monterrey & Mexico City (back to back)
              St. Petersburg, FL
              Phoenix

Apr.
              Long Beach
              Texas
              Road Atlanta

May.
              Indy

June.
              Milwaukee
              Portland
              Laguna Seca (with renovations)

July.
              Cleveland
              Toronto
              Montreal
              Michigan

Aug.
              Mid-Ohio
              Road America
              Vancouver

Sept/Oct.
              Chicagoland
              Watkins Glen
              Miami (Streets)
              Fontana

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: mnkywrch ]</STRONG>
              7 ovals out of 22...

Obviously an IRL/oval fan
              "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

You aren't expecting CART to return to England, Germany, or Australia ???? How crazy is that ?!?!

The England and Germany tracks were built specifically to hold CART as their premier race. Not to mention that they have something called a 5 to 7 year contract agreement, and that they were an overwhelming success the first year out of the box.

As for Australia, w/Japan, probably the most expensive trip of all the schedule. But they over-took F1 as the biggest event this year - another big success. That would be a hard venue to let go.

FWIW, and there's a lot of factors to take into account, but at first glance ... Motorola, Rockwell, MCI Worldcom, Tecate, Herdez, Corona, Pioneer, Players, Shell, Texaco, Lily and Nextel(?) would most certainly opt for the CART (int'l) schedule.

Target, Marlboro, Miller, Purex, Coors, Kool, Harrah's, and some of the smaller IRL sponsors would most certainly opt for the IRL (nat'l.) schedule.

The ones on the fence: Red Bull, Gigante, Visteon, Delphi, Hollywood. At a lower (CART) budget the Hollywood and Red Bull campaigns would actually have to take a 2nd look at the CART schedule, that's why I put them in the "fence" category. Just as Gigante, running more American races would be more beneficial to them as opposed to running in England or Germany.

Bottom line ... expect a big blur !!
                M.Andretti and J.Vasser ... at 39 and 36, STILL the best American open-wheel has to offer.

Comment

Okay, here's my answer.

If I'm short on sponsor $$, then I run the IRL schedule for the Leader's Circle and the big CART events (Long Beach, Cleveland, Toronto, Vancouver, Mid-Ohio, Road America) to keep the sponsor happy.

If I'm Chip Ganassi, and I have Target to pay all my bills, I run the following:
                  Phoenix
                  Long Beach
                  Indy
                  Milwaukee
                  Texas
                  Laguna Seca
                  Portland
                  Toronto
                  Cleveland
                  Michigan
                  Vancouver
                  Mid-Ohio
                  Road America
                  Montreal
                  Chicagoland
                  Miami
                  St. Petersburg

Comment

mesquite-crk,
                    Read some of the recent interviews with Chris Pook and/or listen to the investor conference call. He talks a lot about the importance of having races in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. He wants to be able to go to any company in the world and say, "If you market to the NAFTA block of countries, we're the only sport that can do it."

He mentions the European, Asian and Australia races only in passing. From the way he has been talking, I wouldn't be surprised at all if those races go away as soon as their contracts are up (if not sooner.)

Personally, I like the International flavor, but I also recongnize that if CART is going to get its act together, it has to focus. It is very hard to focus and expand at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob:
                      <STRONG>mesquite-crk,
                      He mentions the European, Asian and Australia races only in passing. From the way he has been talking, I wouldn't be surprised at all if those races go away as soon as their contracts are up (if not sooner.)

Personally, I like the International flavor, but I also recongnize that if CART is going to get its act together, it has to focus. It is very hard to focus and expand at the same time.</STRONG>
                      Oh, it wouldn't surprise me if they go away long-term, but not in 2003 as your original post stated. Both those European communities depend on heavily on the revenues generated by those tracks (one of the primary reasons Germany wasn't postponed or cancelled post 9/11).

CART pulling out pre-emptly, after only 2 years of fulfillment would be a European PR nightmare, and a financial hit as well.

But you are right, he's been talking up the NAFTA success quite a bit.
                      M.Andretti and J.Vasser ... at 39 and 36, STILL the best American open-wheel has to offer.

Comment

I would run the schedule that would allow me to best entertain clients. That includes facilities, location, and fan attendance. I will assume for the most part that all the races are on network TV and pull a 1.2 rating with the exception of Indy.

Monterrey (Mexico)
                        Phoenix
                        Long Beach
                        Indianapolis
                        Texas
                        Toronto
                        Kansas
                        Cleveland
                        Vancouver
                        Road America
                        Montreal
                        Denver
                        Chicagoland
                        Rockingham (England)*
                        Germany*
                        Mexico City
                        Australia
                        Miami
                        St. Petersburg, FL
                        Fontana

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
                          <STRONG>

7 ovals out of 22...

Obviously an IRL/oval fan </STRONG>
                          Look, if the IRL could have 22 successful ovals, I'd run them.

But outside of Indy and Texas, the IRL isn't drawing diddley.

I hate street courses with a passion (outside of Cleveland, which is really cool), but if you look at the markets I picked for most of them, it's because there isn't a viable oval nearby. And if you're going to race outside of the U.S., it may as well be in Canada and Mexico.

I mean, picking a Miami street circuit over Homestead is a no-brainer. No one likes Homestead.

Heck, I kept Michigan and dumped Belle Isle. Give me some credit here.
                          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X