OT MLB and a strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT MLB and a strike

Now I see what the issues are I am lost, revenue sharing and a luxury tax. Aren't these management issues, the only reason the players have a say is the owners let them, are the animals running the zoo? Time for the owners to tell the players to shut up and either play ball or don't. Last time I tried to buy 4 seats for a Red Sox game (this year) the price was over $140, the real news is that I could by them on game day, that hasn't happened in years. They have taken ticket sales out of the hands of scalpers on the streets of Boston. Time for a Kingston Trio rewrite.

Well, a luxury tax and revenue sharing is viewed by the player's union as a defacto salary cap. If any kind of salary cap were instituted, it might jeopardize Alex Rodriguez' quarter billion dollar contract.

These yokels deserve all the fan apathy they're going to earn with this strike... :mad:

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: ZenMan ]
    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Baseball isn't too high on my general sports radarscreen but since it does make all the sports pages I can't help but watch the World Series.

IMO, it's amazing to watch a group of young gentleman that would be lucky to bag groceries in a real life threaten to walk away from millions.

I'm a union employee, of course I have to clock in tomorrow.
      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I'll not dispute your assessments of the players. I've no sympathy for the superstars, though I suspect that those players at the middle to lower end of the pay scale are getting the short end of the stick. But lost in much of this is the evidence that baseball owners are, collectively, the most short-sighted, vengeful and dim group of rich folks ever assembled. How do they manage to sign a superstar to such large and obscene amounts of money and then plead poverty? Why does such a team as the Twins with a lower end payroll do so well while other teams with a much larger payroll struggle? Reminds me of those who wish for more or less spoiler. The owners have managed to put the negative light on those greedy players which most folks seem to notice. I don't hear as much about the owners' incompetence.

Comment

To me, the saddest part of this whole baseball mess is the fact that Ernie Harwell may in fact be broadcasting his last game for the Detroit Tigers tonight and nobody will know for sure until Friday.

That in itself is a crime. The guy is synonimus with detroit baseball and had already annouced his intended retirement at the end of this season after approx 40 some years on the radio and will not be able to get the deserved send-off he is entitled to because of this assinine strike!

To h#ll with them all! If you want to watch baseball, support and GO to a minor league game(s) in your area. These guys are playing for the love of the game not a big fat check. Sure they HOPE to get to the big leagues but have no guarantee. True believers and usually less than half the price to take your family out to a game.
          Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

Originally posted by DannyB:
            <STRONG>I'll not dispute your assessments of the players. I've no sympathy for the superstars, though I suspect that those players at the middle to lower end of the pay scale are getting the short end of the stick. </STRONG>
            I believe the minimum salary in MLB is 1/4 million a year. That's dollars, friends. Not too much short end of the stick in my book.
            <STRONG>How do they manage to sign a superstar to such large and obscene amounts of money and then plead poverty? </STRONG>
            Well, if I sign players to too many multi-million dollar contracts, it won't take too long before I'm poor!
            <STRONG>The owners have managed to put the negative light on those greedy players which most folks seem to notice. I don't hear as much about the owners' incompetence.</STRONG>
            Oh, I hear plenty about that too. There are no good guys in this situation. But I'm at the point now where I hope they strike. Not sure why. . . just sick of 'em I guess.
            "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
              <STRONG>Now I see what the issues are I am lost, revenue sharing and a luxury tax. Aren't these management issues, the only reason the players have a say is the owners let them, are the animals running the zoo? Time for the owners to tell the players to shut up and either play ball or don't. Last time I tried to buy 4 seats for a Red Sox game (this year) the price was over $140, the real news is that I could by them on game day, that hasn't happened in years. They have taken ticket sales out of the hands of scalpers on the streets of Boston. Time for a Kingston Trio rewrite.</STRONG>
              And I thought you were just an expert in Auto Racing.
              A-Rods agents must have been Tony Soprano & CO. since no one is his right mind would pay someone 25 million a year to play ball. That's about $130,00 a game. Owners are just as guilty in causing this mess.

Comment

NFL has a hard cap.

Every team that tries to win can, with the right management (emphasize TRY, for any Bengals fans out there.)

Players make good money. Cap is high. NFL is the strongest in sports, BAR NONE.

Any form of luxury tax or "soft cap" (a la NBA's sham of one) won't cut it.

Let 'em rot in **** . I'll give MLS a try in between races and hockey season. At least those players care.

Comment

The most pathetic thing of all is that people still go to the games. For all the righteous indignation spouted here and elsewhere, people still drop their money to go to games they still listen on the radio and still tune in to the televsions broadcasts. Until people sit on their hands and stop supporting the financial infrastructure of the game (tv), nothing will change.

Comment

...I still think it would be cool if at every game played tomorrow, the fans went on strike.

Not one person in the ballparks would be as impressive as damaging.
                    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I think sports like basketball, baseball, football and hockey are ridiculous. They are fun to watch but they all make way too much money....IRL drivers put their life on the line every race...basketball players do not...Has anyone ever died playing basketball. I think that sports players are greedy....

Comment

Who cares?
                        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

bring on replacement players. there are a bunch of us former baseball players who were told we were good enough but not big enough that would play for a h###uva lot less money and thought we it made :mad:
                          second place is the first loser

Comment

They are both wrong in my book -- and this is what happens when you settle a dispute without resolving the main issue - this issue should have been settled before the last strike ended.

I say time to start over, maybe with a new sport

Anyone for a good crickett league??

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
                              <STRONG>Who cares?</STRONG>
                              right you are dog, it just reminds me of a racing series we all know, there is a lesson in there somewhere about what happens when the animals run the zoo. No two animals can agree on anything, and nothing gets solved.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X