Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell

I thought it was interesting that Shell ran TV ads during the IRL race. I don't think I saw any on the CART broadcast.
    This space for rent.

Don't read too much into that. Broadcast ads are typically placed (or at least recommended) by the ad agency. They may have simply seen that the demographic was good and the price was right.

An ad has no direct coorelation to sponsorship decisions.
    Griz In Indy

Comment

It appears that Shell will be out of CART next season. However, that does NOT necessarily mean that they will be in IRL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparco:
        <STRONG>I thought it was interesting that Shell ran TV ads during the IRL race. I don't think I saw any on the CART broadcast.</STRONG>
        FWIW, I think that Shell has purchased Pennzoil, so maybe there is a link there. It may not mean anything more than that.

I have always found it odd to see so many ads with Michael (and Mario!) Andretti in them (Firestone?) during IRL commercial breaks.

Was happy to see the Hornish/Park Pennzoil ad during a non-racing event (on the Weather Channel, to be exact!).

Blue
        One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Aty least they are buying ads during IRL races.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog:
            <STRONG>Aty least they are buying ads during IRL races.</STRONG>
            Yeah - 2 per friggin break - THE SAME ONE - TWICE.
            "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Originally posted by Griz:
              <STRONG>Don't read too much into that. Broadcast ads are typically placed (or at least recommended) by the ad agency. They may have simply seen that the demographic was good and the price was right.

An ad has no direct coorelation to sponsorship decisions.</STRONG>
              just the comercials are one thing, but they did that "brought to you by Shell" thing where they have the Shell logo super imposed over the crowd. yeah, I read something in to that......

the man in expensive shoes

Comment

It may mean nothing but it's the first time I can recall a shell ad during an IRL race.

If true, it really means one thing. An IRL with money for it's teams will come to pass and it will be different from the IRL poor-teams era.

But shell possibly could stay with rayhole and in Cart.
                Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Hmm... Shell owns Pennzoil... Pennzoil is getting good mileage out of Panther sponsorship... Panther wants to run a 2nd car next year, but needs a sponsor... Shell may be leaving CART, but is now buying ads during IRL races...

Let's hope the good folks at Shell connect the dots.
                  Quit whining. Enjoy the racing.

Comment

Shell is sponsoring the CART race this weekend. Anybody know if this is a one year deal only?
                    This space for rent.

Comment

Business page stuff:

Shell retail in the USA really isn't the Shell worldwide conglomerate. It is a joint venture between Shell and the Saudi government. Until the Texaco Chevron merger, Texaco was a partner too. The product or pump could say Shell or Texaco, but it was really made by the joint venture. Then Texaco merged with Chevron, and as a condition, it had to leave the Texaco gas stations behind in the joint venture.

So now you have:

Shell, a brand name of the joint venture that will mostly be applied to gasoline, with motor oil being a small product under that brand.

Pennzoil, also a brand name of the joint venture that will mostly be applied to motor oil and quick lube places, with gasoline being a small product under that brand.

Texaco, now belongs to the Chevron-Texaco company, but every Texaco facility will be rebranded "Shell" and belong to that joint venture by June 2003. Texaco will be, in the USA and Canada, only found in motor oil as "Texaco Havoline". In Latin America, however, Texaco will remain a gasoline brand. In Australia and the Pacific, another Chevron-Texaco owned brand name "Caltex" markets Havoline, and will continue to do so.

Chevron, will be the main gasoline brand for C-T in North America. Remember that C-T's brand managers, including those for Texaco Havoline, are new to motorsports, with the old Havoline managers now pushing Pennzoil and Shell.

Comment

Reading this thread gives me gas.

jmart

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X