What does this mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this mean

In a long and at times sophomoric thread about being good and not posting bad things about a series, a poster wrote this:

"...the talk now is how can we coerce the few to make open wheel indy cars the thing they use to be..."

My question is this: What does that mean...when was "used to be"...who's perspective is to be defined as "used to be"...

Nothing can ever ruturn to "USED TO BE".
    I got a kick out of the "coerce"
    part of that post.
    aXe

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: aXe ]
    Born Again Race Fan seen at
    www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

What thread, Howard?

Was it closed?
      http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

The only way to do that would be to create that carbon-fiber roadster that was being bantered about.

Who created those drawings?
        "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Could be putting the engine in front of the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
            <STRONG>The only way to do that would be to create that carbon-fiber roadster that was being bantered about.

Who created those drawings?</STRONG>
            I like it. Are there links to the text or drawings?

Comment

Like a lot of long time indy car fans, I look fondly back on the late 60's, and early 70's. Yet when I pull up the stats, most of the time we had one or two cars on the lead lap, and about 8 cars finishing the race. Most of the time there was clearly a car that was superior to the others, but not always. I still look back and love that era, but the product the IRL is putting on the track today is as competitive and as racy as I have ever seen it.

I like to believe the best is yet to come. Will we have another AJ or Mario? Maybe not, as there is not many top notch guys that are running all kinds of different cars. But the quality of the racing on the track has the potential to be the best ever, and we can only hope the "names" will come forth.

Comment

"What thread, Howard?"

In Doc Austin's thread about Now Official...
                the poster was paper...

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: hdolan ]

Comment

Everybody longs for "the good old days" (which usually weren't as good as we remember them to be.)

Which era you want to bring back, depends on which era you grew up in. Everybody remembers the best parts of their "glory days" and tend to block out the bad parts of those same "glory days."

Comment

Originally posted by anythingbut monstertrucks:
                    <STRONG>

I like it. Are there links to the text or drawings?</STRONG>
                    I think they were done by a poster named "ChrisB", but I may be mistaken.

He was pushing for the IRL to return to modern roadsters, and had a picture of a FE, semi-roadster with wings and all, painted like a Kelley car.
                    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Ah I see.

Were longing to live in the past again i see.

The way to make it like it was again, is to promote promote promote.

Advertise. Merchandise, EVERYTHING THAT THEY ARNT DOING THATS COOL, DO IT!!!!!

Comment

forget it Howard, what does it matter?

Comment

The one thing that is consistant about the Speedway is change. People may not like what changes are happening, but there will certainly be more changes in the future.

I plan to enjoy all the changes as long as I can.
                          I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MicroRacer:
                            <STRONG>The one thing that is consistant about the Speedway is change. People may not like what changes are happening, but there will certainly be more changes in the future.

I plan to enjoy all the changes as long as I can.</STRONG>
                            One change I would like is to not hear the rev-limiter.

Comment

Howard,

Sorry your question wasn't answered in the other thread. It was a perfectly valid question.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth here, but what I think the poster who made the "good old days" statement meant was that he wanted to see American OW return to a time where it was king of the hill. When was this? Not sure. IndyJim says that, for him, it was late 60's and early 70's, but then he readily admits that the level competition from the front of the field to the back pales in comparison to what we've got in the IRL today. And then there's the question of attendance. How well did the non-Indy races draw in one's particular version of the "good old days"? I think what the poster meant was, basically, full fields, full stands, close competition, and OW duking it out with NASCAR for the highest ratings. I would imagine that's something you'd like to see, too.

For me, I suppose the "good old days" would be a composite of several different eras, kind of like a character created by a writer which is a composite of several different real people the writer had met. I'd like to see the full fields and close competition of the roadster era, the relative lack of discontent between team owners and the sanctioning body that we had in the 60's & early 70's, and the safety and speeds of today.
                              "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X