Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Identification

Hi All,

Posted this on the fan advisory board, if you like, please go there and let IMS know.

Open wheel racing as always been criticized for difficutly with car indetification. Here are a couple of suggestions to make car ID easier:

1. Make the strips on the front of the sidepods mandatory, these stripes should match the color of the cars number on the sideplate of the rear wing. Red Bull Cheever racing did this at Michigan.

2. Have a cars rims also match the color of the number and make this mandatory. The tire rims are clearly visible from a distance.

3. Pass out a Grid Guide to each fan that attends. The guide can give each cars:
    number, color of strips, number & rims, & sponsor.

Good ideas and all will help. The fan guide is a must IMHO.

The IRL has a rule about cars with identical paint schemes in terms of those leading edges as you suggested. If I recall correctly there are three areas that must have distinguishing markings. The red bull cars are the easiest to visualize this as you suggest. I may be off a little but I believe that the leading edges of the front wings, air inlets on sidepods and airbox are to be a distinguising color.

It helps but does not go far enough. Even the spotters for the most part still call out "Penske car" rather than a driver name because they are so difficult to tell apart.

I think Kelley and Foyt (11 & 14 anyway)have the right idea in terms of paint schemes. The IRL should mandate more distinguishing characteristics like these. Inverted colors like Foyt's and common design with distinguishing highlites like Kelley's work really well.
    Dan Schlosser
    Go fast, turn left !
    www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
    Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Whoops, forgot to comment on the wheels. At Test In the West Cheever ran yellow wheels on one car and pink on the other. The numbers were also done this way with the 51 in yellow and the 52 in pink. The cars were easily distinguishable and looked really cool to boot. Everybody could tell which was Eddie and which was Tomas. Until Eddie jumped in the 52 to see if he could go as fast that is.
      Dan Schlosser
      Go fast, turn left !
      www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
      Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

For Indycars, vibrant color schemes. It may not look good up close, but from the stands it would.

Comment

Originally posted by gofastturnleft:
          <STRONG>Inverted colors like Foyt's and common design with distinguishing highlites like Kelley's work really well.</STRONG>
          Kelley's cars are different enough that I can tell them apart easy enough this year (colors are different enough). I sometimes confuse some of the other cars with theirs, though.

Last year, one of the big differences between Sharp's and Dismore's cars was the spoiler color, I think.

Blue
          One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

I still say helmets are just fine
            -Kaaveh
            http://www.humansofracing.com

Comment

Indentical paint schemes stink. Fans need to know who is who. Trying to distinguish the Penske cars at 200+ MPH by looking at their helmets is next to impossible.

Kelley and Foyt have it right. If you have the same sponsor, change the color scheme a little bit or put some colored strips (like Cheever does) to differentiate the cars.

The easier it is to tell the cars apart, the better it will be for the fans.
              IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

At Kentucky, I don't remember having that much of a problem telling the Penske cars apart. I probably would if they didn't have those big numbers on the sides of the wings.

That may have been because deFerran was taken out of contention early, so I could pretty much guess it was Helio if the car was contending for the front.

Blue
                One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlueStang:
                  <STRONG>

That may have been because deFerran was taken out of contention early, so I could pretty much guess it was Helio if the car was contending for the front.

Blue</STRONG>
                  Shouldn't have to "guess". I don't have to guess with Kelley's cars. I can differentiate Sharp, Unser and Renna instantly.
                  IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

posted by dironstarr,

. . .
                    3. Pass out a Grid Guide to each fan that attends. The guide can give each cars:
                    number, color of strips, number & rims, & sponsor. . . .
                    All great points !!!

I sent a suggestion very similar to #3 to the webmaster at indyracing.com a couple of years ago. CART has a Spotter's Guide for each event posted at their website. The guide is in numerical order, putting it in starting order is useless once the green flies. Also adding the driver helmets would be a plus IMO. Add some statistics and a track map for the current event, then post it as a PDF at indyracing.com. Also the Official League Sponsors and Partners could have their logos added as well. Hand it out at the tracks and post it at the website for fans to print out at home!!

Voila ! You have a very useful Guide.

Here is a link to the guide that CART has at their website.
                    http://www.cart.com/FanResources/SpottersGuide.asp

I put together my own version every year for the 500. Here is a low res image showing with an enlarged area to show some detail.

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: c7 ]

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
                    - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

posted by Bluestang,

At Kentucky, I don't remember having that much of a problem telling the Penske cars apart. I probably would if they didn't have those big numbers on the sides of the wings.

Blue

Blue, when at the track the Penske's are easier to tell apart, but on the tube is is very very difficult and nearly impossible. Maybe it is intentional so you have to look at the cars longer and the sponsor get more exposure!! Regardless, if you are at the track or at home telling the cars apart should be easier IMO !!

Comment

Originally posted by dironstarr:
                        <STRONG>3. Pass out a Grid Guide to each fan that attends. The guide can give each cars:
                        number, color of strips, number & rims, & sponsor.</STRONG>
                        Isn't all this information in the race program everyone has the option of buying?

Comment

stnkypete posted,

Isn't all this information in the race program everyone has the option of buying?
                          Yes, but that still does not solve the Identification issues with Team Cars.

As far as passing out "Grid Guides", I feel would be a great way to give fans at the track more value. Get them thinking, "Hey, the XYZ Series race I went to didn't give me anything, and the tickets cost more to!!"

Comment

I had some time today so I implemented some of dironstarr's suggestions on the retouched image below.

In the retouched image with DeFerran in the #6 "White" Accent Theme and Castroneves in the #3 "Red" Accent Theme the cars still have a "Team" identity but are more unique and much easier to identify.

As dironstarr suggested in his original post, some mandated rules more along these lines would geatly improve the identification problems with team cars.

The changes I made really weren't that much, but they sure make a difference IMO.

Comment

c7:

Once again, GREAT WORK!!!! You've done some cool stuff, IIRC. Weren't you the one who retouched the old Sarah/Walker car to come up with a concept for SmartBlade? Dude, you are good!!
                              "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X