Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helio in back to CART in 2003?

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?pit08.html

"Which tracks will de Ferran and teammate Helio Castroneves miss most? Both cited Australia, but Castroneves added Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio and all of CART's road courses. "Why did you have to get me started on this?" Castroneves said. "Now I'm depressed again."

His only oval win is Indy. Maybe if he wins some races this year he will like the ovals just as much.

He's a life-long roadracer. Of course he misses roadraces.

But nobody quits driving for Penske.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector:
      <STRONG>He's a life-long roadracer. Of course he misses roadraces.

But nobody quits driving for Penske.</STRONG>
      And if he does quit , there will be a seat open for someone who likes ovals...not a bad thing at all !

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: jandj ]
      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if he went back. Same with DeFerran.

Of course, if CART hadn't finally hired Pook (and even that hiring might have been a year too late), there wouldn't BE a CART, in it's current state, to go back to. Or, at least, that's probably what Penske told them.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Penske added some visits to CART road course events (on IRL off weekends) to try to keep his drivers happy. If any team has the staff to do both, it's Penske. Perhaps not fly away events to Australia... but there's others.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Penske talked TG into a couple IRL road course events.
        http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

With CART annoucning identical specs with the IRL for next season, I'm sure he'll be able to race on some race courses next year.

I look for cross participation in 2003
          All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Helio definitely misses road courses. You could hear it in his tone and comments at the press conference on Wednesday. He is a funny and entertaining person besides being a great race car driver.

But his heart is in road racing and he should, and will I believe, go to a series that lets him do what he enjoys.

Just as I hate to not see Tony Stewart doing what he loves best I don't want to see Castroneves missing out on what he enjoys most.

www.tracksidelive.net
            Dan Schlosser
            Go fast, turn left !
            www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
            Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Before there can be substantial cross-over, CART needs to figure out the problem with the domestic tracks wanting reduced sanctioning fees before Mid-Ohio, Road America, Cleveland, and Portland go the same direction as Chicago.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

2003?? Doesn't that coincide {sp} with end of Tony Stewart's contract with Gibbs?? A much coveted Penske seat might be enough to lure Stewart away from NASCAR full time.

I'm sure that Stewart might want to run an occasional WC race on the numerous IRL "off" weekends. Being a Penske driver would help to give him that opportunity. He could enter as "Smoke Johnson".
                DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy:
                  <STRONG>2003?? Doesn't that coincide {sp} with end of Tony Stewart's contract with Gibbs?? A much coveted Penske seat might be enough to lure Stewart away from NASCAR full time.

I'm sure that Stewart might want to run an occasional WC race on the numerous IRL "off" weekends. Being a Penske driver would help to give him that opportunity. He could enter as "Smoke Johnson". </STRONG>
                  I'd see TS with Ganassi over Penske.

The deal would be for the full WC season, Indy 500, and the freedom to go run spridgets on any non-conflicting dates. (And a REALLY good PR person.)

Think of it from Target's perspective: the only thing better than Tony Stewart in a Target IndyCar is... Tony Stewart in the #41 Target NASCAR entry. Better ROI.

And who would be more likely to let TS go run some spridget dates, Roger Penske or Chip Ganassi? (Who? Gary Bettenhausen on line one?!? )

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: mnkywrch ]

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy:
                    <STRONG>2003?? Doesn't that coincide {sp} with end of Tony Stewart's contract with Gibbs?? A much coveted Penske seat might be enough to lure Stewart away from NASCAR full time.

I'm sure that Stewart might want to run an occasional WC race on the numerous IRL "off" weekends. Being a Penske driver would help to give him that opportunity. He could enter as "Smoke Johnson". </STRONG>
                    I don't think Stewart would be a very good match with Penske. Tony is known to speak his mind, and that doesn't sit well with Roger. Remember what happened to Paul Tracy when he said the Penske Chassis wasn't as good as the Reynard? (And Paul wasn't just making that up)

Comment

Well, If deferran and helio are really as unhappy as you guys seem to think, Penske should, probably, offer to tear up there contracts. He certainly wouldn't want a couple of malcontents driving his cars. I'm sure Roger wouldn't have too much trouble finding drivers who want to race in the INDY 500........ helio, obviously, doesn't realize that ,at the end of his career, the only thing he will be remembered for is being an INDY 500 winner.

Drivers are, easily, replaceable. Chances to drive for Roger Penske are very rare, indeed.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                      http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

If Hornish does not have a let down he will be driving for Penske, Green, or Ganassi in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by mac miller:
                          <STRONG>helio, obviously, doesn't realize that ,at the end of his career, the only thing he will be remembered for is being an INDY 500 winner.</STRONG>
                          How wrong you are. It all depends on who is doing the remembering. There is a whole country who saw him as a racing hero when he was in Indy Lights.

He is not too concerned about what a handful of people in Indiana think about his road racing accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by jandj:
                            <STRONG>And if he does quit , there will be a seat open for someone who likes ovals...not a bad thing at all !</STRONG>
                            EXACTLY.

The "win" for the IRL wasn't Castroneves and de Ferran, it was Penske.

Jason Leffler and Casey Mears in well funded Marlboro Team Penske IRL rides would be even better, IMO.
                            "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
                              <STRONG>
                              Jason Leffler and Casey Mears in well funded Marlboro Team Penske IRL rides would be even better, IMO.</STRONG>
                              Wow - one win in open wheeled feeder series between them. Why doesn't he just drive the car himself?

Penske will hire the best driver he can. More than likely, it will be a driver from the road racing tradition.

(Translation: Dave Darland shouldn't get his hopes up.)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X