What's up with Jeff Ward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Jeff Ward?

Haven't heard his name mention around these parts in a while. Does he have something in the works for this season? Is he contractually tied to (the slowly disintegrating) Heritage, like Dare was to Team Extreme? Insiders, any knowledge of anything?

He's not my favorite driver or anything (I don't really have one), but it's disturbing to see a veteran like Wardy who's still in his prime not have a ride firmly set up for this season.
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Look at his results in the IRL.

Career starts: 45
    Career wins: 0

Numbers like that don't exactly set the phone a-ringing.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: mnkywrch ]
    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I could see him as a good match in the Conquest/Mi Jack ride...just a guess, but it would seem a good fit for a newer team.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch:
        <STRONG>Look at his results in the IRL.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: mnkywrch ]</STRONG>
        True, but he has consistently run towards the front and almost always brings the car home. Last season I believe he hurt a car at Richmond, and white-walled it at TMS2. That's pretty solid performances.

There is a team out there for him I believe. And he has also run well at Indy. That counts to a lot of people. Jeff would be well served for the IRL to run longer races as that appears to be his forte.
        We flipped our finger to the King of England
        Stole our country from the Indians
        With god on our side and guns in our hands
        We took it for our own!

Comment

As I recall, he won the pole at Homestead last year. He knows how to go fast, and, with a reliable mount underneath him, would probably contend.
          "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

He tested for Cheever.Cheever said that he doesn't want a rookie.All the other candidates are newcomers.This would be a very good place for Ward.
            Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan:
              <STRONG>a veteran like Wardy who's still in his prime.</STRONG>
              His prime involved 2 wheels, not 4.

Comment

Before AJ tried to change Ward's driving style,,,,, he was ALWAYS right at the front.
                "OWRS did not return phone calls."

Comment

As much as I like Ward these numbers are very hard to argue with. How many chances do you get with that many races under your belt and no wins?
                  IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Figures lie and liars figure. I could dig up some stats like his record at the Indy 500 that make him appear on the verge of success. Clearly he didn't fit in with Foyt though. Foyt was having a G Force season that year, though and both cars did badly. The G Force should have suited Ward though, but he didn't even keep up with Sally.

Comment

jeff has a few options on his plate I think you will see him and Mitch do it on there own ,if a sponser comes through. Other wise look for them to hook up with another team, I think there are a few offers on the table,
                      they are going to be there.Let's Go Racing
                      DaddyO

Comment

How many chances do you get withou any wins?
                        Why don't you ask micheal Waltrip? 400+. And you want to boot Ward for 45?!!
                        Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

If a sponsor wants his car to have a lot of camera time, he wants to put Ward in the seat. This guy has led 488 laps in those 45 races, and that's with a handicap of 16 races not finished.STATS

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman:
                            <STRONG>

As much as I like Ward these numbers are very hard to argue with. How many chances do you get with that many races under your belt and no wins?</STRONG>
                            45 races? thats like getting fired for going a season winless in Winston Cup. 45 is no where near as big a number as people make it out to be. That said, it has also been about 5 years compared to the season and a quarter for NASCAR. I just don't think its time to give up on him just yet.
                            Preserving America's oval track tradition:
                            1.New Hampshire, 2.Charlotte, 3.Dover, 4.Disney World, 5.Las Vegas, 6.Atlanta, 7.Gateway, 8.Nazereth, 9.Phoenix, 10.Fontana, 11.Pikes Peak, 12.Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by cmjc80:
                              <STRONG>

45 races? thats like getting fired for going a season winless in Winston Cup. 45 is no where near as big a number as people make it out to be. That said, it has also been about 5 years compared to the season and a quarter for NASCAR. I just don't think its time to give up on him just yet.</STRONG>
                              Focus more on the five years.

Look, I'm sure Jeff is a great guy. But Mista Bone is right - Jeff spent what we would consider his prime on two wheels.

If you don't think Jeff Ward has had a fair chance, how much more time do you give him?
                              http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X