Cheever's Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheever's Driver?

Who are the drivers that Cheever has tested?

Buddy Rice
    Tomas Scheckter
    Jeff Ward?

Who else? Has he tested anybody (other than Ward) that wants to make the IRL his or her series and wants to win the Indy 500 above anything else?

Will Eddie hire somebody that is good for IRL racing or will he hire somebody that will be gone in a couple years? I am a big Eddie Cheever fan, but I have been really disappointed in his testing choices. The fact that I can't remember them tells me that there was nothing there to spark my interest anyway.
    I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

I think that if Eddie has a say, and it is still is his team, it will be Ward. If it isn't Ward, see the first sentence. I personally don't care who owns the team, just that Eddie is in one car and that there is enough funding to run both cars the entire season.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he also tested Dan Wheldon.

jmart

Comment

Common sense says that the seat would go to Buddy Rice. A young American to compliment a veteran like Eddie. When Eddie retires in a couple years, he then has Rice to take over the main seat.

But, it has been noted that if this doesn't happen then Eddie isn't really running the team. See Red Bull/F1.
        All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

I would like nothing better than Eddie choose Buddy Rice as a driver as long as the IRL is were Buddy wants to be. But if Buddy Rice does get picked and then he goes to CART 1 or 2 years down the road what good has it done for the IRL.

NONE, NADA, ZIPPO.
          I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MicroRacer:
            <STRONG>I would like nothing better than Eddie choose Buddy Rice as a driver as long as the IRL is were Buddy wants to be. But if Buddy Rice does get picked and then he goes to CART 1 or 2 years down the road what good has it done for the IRL.

NONE, NADA, ZIPPO.</STRONG>
            I really don't think that is a worry anymore. Now, losing and IRL guy to NASCAR still is a major worry.
            All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Buddy is the man. Eddie needs a young guy, Ward would be a good short term fit but Buddy would be the good move.

Comment

I predict that Eddie (and TWR/Red Bull partners) will select the driver with the best chance of delivering immediate results. Period.

That whole idea of 'grooming a young rookie for the future' is already out of the window. No one thinks that way anymore. Sadly, in this free-agent environment, few rookies would feel any kind of alliegience and would jump at the first better offer that comes along. I know that there are exceptions, but not many.

I don't think Eddie will limit himself to those he has tested. I bet he picks a shocker--someone that isn't even on the radar screen. You heard it here first!

Comment

Originally posted by Cant_hit_apex:
                  <STRONG>Sadly, in this free-agent environment, few rookies would feel any kind of alliegience and would jump at the first better offer that comes along</STRONG>
                  Not if he's under contract. If Rice signs a 5-year with Cheever and he want to bail after 2 years, someone has to pay the exit clause.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
                  "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Rice not deliver immediately? C'mon, guys.

Think about it - Sam Hornish was an Atlantics RoY. As soon as he sat in decent equipment, he had success.

Buddy Rice beat everything in sight in Atlantics. What do you think he'll do - pull a Shiggy? The chances are slim.

You can say the same about Dan Wheldon, though he doesn't offer the benefits of being American.

If Cheever is thinking long-term, he locks up Rice and gives Red Bull (regardless of how much their involvement) a reason to either stay involved, or get more involved - and gives Infinti the same reason to stay involved with his team.

Because sponsors like winners.
                    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X