Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forsythe spurned by JV

RPM article
    "I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spotted some land" ~Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

A rampart is a bulwark!

Why would JV want to go to a feeder series?
    IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman:
      <STRONG>Why would JV want to go to a feeder series?</STRONG>
      He shoots, he scores!!!

Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

. . . are you saying that CART is F1's "Busch" Series?

oh, wait, guess Pook already made that claim

Comment

JV is merely doing what many in the racing business fail to do....due diligence/credit analysis.

Forsythe could offer him $100MM a year, but if there is no CART next year, how much does JV actually collect?

He's guaranteed of making his money in F1 next year.

In CART? Who knows?
          "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Heck, if he needs a ride, the IPS is a much better option.

Or maybe Barber Dodge.

Comment

what is the guy waiting for? He goes to CART, misses a development season in a sucky F-1 car, but gets to go back and evaluate it in the last two races. If the car is no good, he can wiggle out of the contract (legally, of course, or perhaps have a provision for bailing out if the car is no good)) for 2004 and still have time to land something decent, maybe a plum LeMans ride, which he has said he wants to do.

It's 50 million dollars. Maybe Jacques is a little delusional if he thinks he is going to ever get the same money as Schumacher.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Doc Austin ]
              "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin:
                <STRONG>what is the guy waiting for? He goes to CART, misses a development season in a sucky F-1 car, but gets to go back and evaluate it in the last two races. If the car is no good, he can wiggle out of the contract (legally, of course, or perhaps have a provision for bailing out if the car is no good)) for 2004 and still have time to land something decent, maybe a plum LeMans ride, which he has said he wants to do.

It's 50 million dollars. Maybe Jacques is a little delusional if he thinks he is going to ever get the same money as Schumacher.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Doc Austin ]</STRONG>
                The only thing that surprises me is that he is turning down so much money. He is guaranteed @ $20 million next year under his current deal, but nothing thereafter, and I doubt he'll get anything like that for 2004 and 05. So, this deal would seem to be as rich as its going to get. As to CART not being there--if the contract is drafted correctly, that wouldn't matter.

Comment

What I don't get is how BAR fell off so far. They were 4th (tied with Jordan, IIRC) in constructors points at the end of 2000....

Two years later, Arrows can beat them up!
                  "I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spotted some land" ~Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

A rampart is a bulwark!

Comment

shouldn't this be on the cart or f-1 forum?
                    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA:
                      <STRONG>

The only thing that surprises me is that he is turning down so much money. He is guaranteed @ $20 million next year under his current deal, but nothing thereafter, and I doubt he'll get anything like that for 2004 and 05. So, this deal would seem to be as rich as its going to get. As to CART not being there--if the contract is drafted correctly, that wouldn't matter.</STRONG>
                      Who's gonna pay him to drive CART races if there is no CART? Who's he gonna sue - Players Racing Inc., which will be disbanded after next year?

I doubt Forsythe would guarantee three years worth of salary, even if the series was not in existence.

JV merely did due dilligence. $20MM guaranteed for next year is less risky that $50MM "potentially" in CART over 3 years.

Would you quit your current, stable job (for at least another year) if (let's say) Worldcom was making you a sweet offer for a potential salary over the next 3 years?
                      "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

I think a move back to CART, would be a career killer for Jacque Villeneuve. You’d never expect a major league baseball player to go back to AA ball for a year, just because his team stinks. Villeneuve would have everything to lose. If he happens to get beat it would be interpreted as a sign his skills have declined (then try getting a big F1 contract) and if he wins, it’s because the competition is a few notches down, so he gets no credit. Plus, JV probably is happy living in Monoco year round and the idea of spending 8 months slogging around to places like Cleveland, Mid Ohio and Milwaukee, where you have to interact with those pesky fans, might not be too appealing to him.

Comment

. . . are you saying that CART is F1's "Busch" Series?
                          ...and Busch's Busch series in some cases!

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
                            <STRONG>shouldn't this be on the cart or f-1 forum?</STRONG>

My opinion; Yes, but it belongs here too. Jacques is an Indy 500 champion, therefore he is of interest here.
                            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Can't say JV's decision to not take the step back surprises me.

What's more important for BAR - having a top name driver or having a competitive car? Seems they choose the former and are unhappy about that decision.

What's more important for JV - getting $20 million a year or driving a competitive car? Seems he choose the former as well.

BAR and JV made this bed and they are going to have to lie in it. Maybe JV will get a competitive seat in '04 and BAR can put together a competive program. But until then they are stuck with each other.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X