Why the Infatuation w/Dismore ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Infatuation w/Dismore ?

Ok I just have to chime in here and I'm sure some people aren't going to like what I have to say.
    What is the infatuation with Mark Dismore people on this board have ? I think Mark is a good driver but I don't understand this constant bashing of Team Kelley for wanting to make a change after so many years of dismle results. I've heard many here say Mark didn't get as good of equipment as Sharp, maybe that is so but even a 2nd string Kelley car has to be better the most of the smaller budget teams like say a Schmidt or Curb. Yet J.Lazier was able to show really well for Schmidt and in other under funded efforts and Boat was top 5 in points for Curb. IMHO Dismore is a very good qualifier that is a mid pack racer and a nice guy from what I've heard. To me it this isn't the same as Buddy or Sam losing their rides would be or not as much of a loss as say a Billy Boat would be. Although not a big Greg Ray fan I for one expect him to have a decent year and win a race and have serveral top 5's, something Mark didn't do.

Just my opinion.

Is it May yet ?

Mark has more then paid his dues, as have others. He has had some unfortunate bad luck, like everyone, some of it was of his own making. He has won, although only once. Maybe it is just people's way of pulling for the underdog. Most feel he didn't deserve to lose his ride, but that is racing, you can do your best, but if the owner or sponsor feels that someone can do better, you're gone.

Comment

What other racing had Dismore done than in "Indy Cars" and what were his accomplishments.

Not a flame, I'd really like to know.
      DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Mark Dismore is a local boy. He embodies the passion for Indy that so many of us can relate to. He is a good driver with the luck of Lloyd Ruby. He is a good man too. Those that work with him say that he is as down to earth as any driver and is more willing to hang out with his crew than hob nob with the elite crowd.
        Rick
        God speed!

Comment

I agree with you, Chief,...... I heard dismore, whining on the radio last night, basically,blaming every one but himself for his failure to succeed.
          Insinuating bad prep by his crew on a public radio show will make any quality mechanics very wary of getting involved with dismore. The quickest way for a driver to screw himself out of business is to start publicly blaming his technical people for his problems.
          I don't believe dismore ever attempted to bring any sponsorship to kelley's team so he was on a free ride that many better drivers don't enjoy .
          dismore always reminded me of a cross between mike andretti, with his whining, and lloyd ruby, with his glum,defeatist attitude.

If he gets a ride, fine.....if he doesn't, that's fine, too, Better drivers than him don't have rides and he certainly is not the future of the IRL.

That being said, I don't believe Kelley has improved his situation much by bringing in Ray. I bet that deal doesn't last till May....

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: mac miller ]

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
          http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

That being said, I don't believe Kelley has improved his situation much by bringing in Ray. I bet that deal doesn't last till May....
            From a purely objective standpoint, I don't know how you can make this statement. Greg Ray has won 5 or 6 races and countless poles. If you are looking at past performance as the primary factor in picking a driver, then Kelly has done pretty well. I'm not a big Greg Ray fan, but he has won much more than Dismore.
            "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Why??
              Look his results in all the IRL:

1996 – 31
              1997 – 17
              1998 – 15
              1999 – 4
              2000 – 8
              2001 - 14

Only 1 time in the top 5...
              and with Kelley!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy:
                <STRONG>What other racing had Dismore done than in "Indy Cars" and what were his accomplishments.

Not a flame, I'd really like to know.</STRONG>
                Mark could of had a great career in Cart if he didn't have that accident at Indy in 91. We don't know what could of happen during that time he was hurt from the accident. I mean you know the "what could of been" thing always pop up. I was so surprised that he went back racing cause when I saw that accident it was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jrandrew00:
                  <STRONG>

Mark could of had a great career in Cart if he didn't have that accident at Indy in 91. We don't know what could of happen during that time he was hurt from the accident. I mean you know the "what could of been" thing always pop up. I was so surprised that he went back racing cause when I saw that accident it was bad.</STRONG>
                  I remember that accident. I always had a soft spot for Dismore because of coming back from that. But if he is 46 now, then he was 35 then. I'd think that was kind of late to be starting a racing career. I was just wondering if he had spent some time in Midgets, Sprints, Toyota Atlantics, or some other series, and did he run in any other "Indy Car" races other than Indy.

Comment

If I remember right, Mark was a champion in Atlantics, and he also ran them after coming back from his accident in 1991 and won some more races then!

Didn't he also run the Daytona 24 Hour Race and do pretty well too? In one of Gurney's Eagles???

Can't remember for sure.

Comment

I think he was on the winning team for the Daytona24 in Gurney's Toyota and he also had quite a bit of midget experience.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: mac miller ]

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                      http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

He also has a ton of go kart experience in building and driving them. He has been doing that for as long as I can remember him.

Jason
                          I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

Originally posted by mac miller:
                            <STRONG>I agree with you, Chief,...... I heard dismore, whining on the radio last night, basically,blaming every one but himself for his failure to succeed.
                            [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: mac miller ]</STRONG>
                            I guess this just goes to show how 2 different people can listen to the same info and have 2 different takes on the subject. You are entitled to your own opinion but I heard something different.
                            IMO Diz basically said it was a team thing and we all win together and we all lose together.

I like Diz because of the he reminds me everyday of one of the reason the IRL was started.
                            Does he "deserve" a seat with Kelly? I am not the one who could say but IMO he is a strong enough drive who takes care of the equipment. Unfortunately there are more drivers looking for rides than there are seats.
                            I would personally like to see him hold out for a top notch effort at Indy only than take a season long effort with one of the weaker teams.
                            If the league is not going to shift their stance on the fees I would imagine all of the ovals would start being replaced by "chamber of commerce financially supported" TV infomercials dressed up like a car race for different city centers across the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by CRISTAL FAN:
                              <STRONG>Why??
                              Look his results in all the IRL:

1996 – 31
                              1997 – 17
                              1998 – 15
                              1999 – 4
                              2000 – 8
                              2001 - 14

Only 1 time in the top 5...
                              and with Kelley!!</STRONG>
                              CF is right on target. In particular, the 14th last year (considering how shallow the competition really was) is an embarrassment. And, even a subpar Kelley effort was still better than 15 other cars in the league. I like Diz, too, but the performance just hasn't been there.
                              "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X