Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Races Remaining for IRL Championship...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Races Remaining for IRL Championship...

Would very much like to see Helio Castroneves win the IRL Championship because he's never won a championship, and I really feel like he deserves the cup more than anyone. In addition, would like to see Helio climb the track fence at TMS...

Based on the fact tht the last two races are at 1.5 mile ovals, I'd say the advantage goes to Hornish.
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Well dont count out Penske just yet.
      I see a motor switch coming and for sure they are not sitting on thier fannies waiting for this to fall into their lap.
      aXe
      Born Again Race Fan seen at
      www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Team Penske owner Roger Penske said Castroneves will test Chevrolet's new engine this week at Joliet -- the team has been using last year's model -- in a bid to improve its raw speed on the 1.5-mile tracks that make up the rest of the schedule. http://www.indystar.com/article.php?irl26.html,sports
        When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
        - Jack Handey

Comment

Now is not the time you want to be debugging a new engine config.; have to agree with The Rev on this one - advantage Hornish
          Never try to teach a Pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the Pig ...
          Peace: JR

Comment

Any idea who built the Chevy IIs he's going to test? Ilmor? If so, what is their record this year?

Homestead -- Sam, Chevy II (Speedway)
            Phoenix -- Helio, Chevy I (Ilmor)
            Fontana -- Sam, (Speedway)
            Naz -- Sharp, Chevy II (Ilmor??)
            Indy -- Helio, Chevy I (Ilmor)
            TX -- Ward, Chevy II (Comptech??)
            PPIR -- DeFerran, Chevy I (Ilmor)
            Richmond -- Sam, Chevy II (Speedway)
            KS -- Dare, Chevy II (Rousch)
            Nashville -- Barron, Chevy II (McClaren or Speedway??)
            MIS -- Schekter, Infiniti (TWR)
            KY -- Giaffone, Chevy II (Speedway??)
            St Louis -- DeFerran, Chevy I (Ilmor)
            Chicago -- TBD
            TX -- TBD

I think that's right. Need help to make corrections and fill in the ???

jmart

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: jmart ]

Comment

Hornish getting through Gateway intact was key.

Panther is the second-best "flat track" team in the IRL.

However, Penske's penchant for keeping his guys up front via quick stops may just be the key to the championship.

If all 4 guys stay intact, it could be close.
              "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

good that we have a points battle. It's going to make these last two races that much more fun to watch. I predict 90,000 at Texas if it is still a four way race.

Comment

Originally posted by aXe:
                  <STRONG>Well dont count out Penske just yet.
                  I see a motor switch coming ........aXe </STRONG>

Which could be their undoing. It is a little late in the game to change doing what got them there. The game plan has them in the lead and third, 8 or so points back. If it were me, I wouldn't like the idea of so many new variables. Of course, it has always been foolish to second guess the captain.

And Panter just needs to keep the wheels on and leave it to Sam. He sure delivered at Texas last year.

I would like to see the Penskes defeated, just because it would look good for the IRL, but I am ok with both Helio and Gil. Gil has driven beautifully all season and is a class dude. If Helio grabs it, I love the thought of the 500 winner rolling into town next year sporting the #1 on the nose.

I only hope for two things; (1) it goes wheel to wheel right to the line in Texas with no chopping, blocking or swerving, which it probably will. (2) two safe races.

OK, OK, one more; Chris Pook to get caught kerbkrawling....no, no, just kidding!
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

I don't wish ill will on anyone, but would love to see the top 3 have dnf's at Chicago and have Felipe and Alex make up some ground for a 5 way battle come Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim:
                      <STRONG>I don't wish ill will on anyone, but would love to see the top 3 have dnf's at Chicago and have Felipe and Alex make up some ground for a 5 way battle come Texas.</STRONG>
                      Is Texas wide enough for a five abreast photo finish?
                      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim:
                        <STRONG>I don't wish ill will on anyone, but would love to see the top 3 have dnf's at Chicago and have Felipe and Alex make up some ground for a 5 way battle come Texas.</STRONG>

Bullhockey! I do. Not an accident mind you, just three expired engines on the first lap followed by a Barron win with Felipe second and no one would possibly be unhappy with Texas!

Comment

Alex Barron is out of the championship picture mathematically. Even he wins both races and leads the most laps, and the top 4 guys are the first 4 DNFs, Alex still can't win it.

Despite that, he's had a very good season.

-StatMan
                          Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Posted by StatMan:
                            Alex Barron is out of the championship picture mathematically. Even he wins both races and leads the most laps, and the top 4 guys are the first 4 DNFs, Alex still can't win it.
                            I bet if you can Pookster doing the scoring, he'd figure out a way to make it add up.

jmart

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X