Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOW OFFICIAL

Now official; it is over.

Well, for me it is, anyway. I've spent the last year on the internet argueing this CART/IRL thing with hundreds of people. We are all fans who just have a difference of opinion of what OW racing "should " be. Mostly, all these people just love racing, but the passion is so heated that it is impossible to remain nuetral. If you are on the fence, you will inevitably get knocked off by the feces flug from either side. And the real danger for the flinger is that it is their own projectiles that will knock the fencesitters off onto the other side. I got hit with a CART bomb, and fell on the IRL side even though I still, and always will, love CART, no matter how mad I am at them for what they have done to themselves.

The war? Yes. I am quilty. I have participated. More than alot of people. As much as most.

And for what? Is any of us here so vain as to think we have any more say than whatever we pay for our tickets? Or how many cans or Red Bull we do or don't drink? (free plug, Eddie!) Does any of us think we have all the answers and can make some sort of difference? Well, egos are in the stratosphere if that is the case. It is utterly out of our hands. The two series are each going their own ways, and now, controlling their own destinies.

And now, I am ashamed. About the only thing I ever achieved was to cheeze off one half while merely folowing the crowd on the other half. I've ruined countless opportunities to make friends with fellow fans who love the sport as much as I do, but have a slight difference of opinion.

Two things happened to me. First, I regretfully participated in a thread that caused Paper to leave, with his feelings very obviously hurt. I don't think for even a second that there is even one guy here who is a better fan than Paper, but we blew him out of here because we disagreed with him. What for? He says the IRL is an entertaining show but has a different opinion on who is a fault. This is a forum. We are allowed to have a different opinion. I never saw Paper lie, curse or throw a personal insult at anyone. Maybe some of what he said was so true that it hurt.

Secondly, Eagle 104 and I were at each other's throats over something stupid. Over a dumb joke. But now, we have found the common bond of sportscar racing, my first real, true love. I am glad that it didn't escalate to the point that I threw that away.

So, it is over for me. I am done fighting over it. I invite Paper to come back and have a good time with me here. If he, as a CART fan first, and me, as a rabid IRL supporter can have a good time and leave all the annimosity behind, I know everyone else can. Come on, Paper, let's do it!

And finally, I have tried very hard not to throw personal insults around, but I can't say I have never done it. To those, including Rail and racewriter. I am sorry. To those whom I have offended or cheezed off on a personal level, I ask your forgiveness.

Someone please send Paper a link to this.
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Originally posted by Doc Austin:
    <STRONG> If you are on the fence, you will inevitably get knocked off by the feces flug from either side. </STRONG>
    I hope you are wrong on this statement. I watch every single IRL, CART, F1 and Nascar race. I try not to let anything that is said on TF or 7g affect my love of racing. I get plenty mad at some of the things that I have read on both sites. And I am sure I have made plenty mad.
    IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

paper is a friend of mine dog
      SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
      " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

You know Doc,I came to that conclusion about a month ago. Thats why I changed from Cartfan to Longhorn. For me it was-

1. a business trip that was on a weekend that had both Cart and IRL races.....Went to look for the results in USA TODAY,only to find both buried in the back of the paper. Wow,the "real world" could care less about the split. They just want to see good racing.

2. Visiting my girlfriend and her parents(I survived somehow ),it appeared to me there things in this world that are more enjoyable(to me anyways)than arguing about whether ovals or road courses are superior.

Don't worry about Paper,he is a resillient guy. And his "peace in racing" was getting a bit old in the toothe. I mean,lets keep it real,this is an IRL SITE! With fans that has put up with name calling and alot of condescending remarks for 7 years. Now that the IRL is on top(yes,I have no illusions),heck ya,the IRL faithful are going "dish" some out! I expect that,and I am sure not going to get in the way of the "Dishing" out(Pook flaming the flames doesn't help the "Peace").

Continue to be a Passionate IRL fan Doc,don't go soft on me know(take the fun out of posting here......hehehehe). I secretely admire a bunch of fans that have stuck with their favorite series through thick and thin.

Comment

Fan is short for Fanatic.

source: dictionary .com

fa·nat·ic
          n. A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

adj. Fanatical.

Being a true fan of anything usually involves some sort of emotional attachment. Many time these emotions run very deep. I think at times many of us find ourselves is similar situations to those referred to by Doc Austin.

I think Doc's decision in these matters is an example that we all can learn from. And it is a decision. We all make decisions everday, we should make them wisely.

I think I am going to re-read the TF mission statement as way to help myself make better decisions.
          http://www.trackforum.com/mission.html

Good for you Doc !

Sincerely,
          c7
          "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
          - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

Doc, this is a message board, not national publication. I meant to say, anything could be said here and you have to take it for what it is. It will always be dynamic for it's a forum. Thin skin is not an option.
            Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by c7:
              Good for you Doc !"

Hey, are you C-7 as in Corvette C-7 American LeMans series race car? There could be some big plans for the sportscar forum and the more, the merrier.
              "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
                <STRONG>paper is a friend of mine dog</STRONG>
                well, get him back here, ok?

Comment

Doc, hope you feel better now

There are about 1 million fans who watch Open Wheel racing regularily on TV, (when they get the chance ) , there's about 500 people who post on all CARt/IRL forums regularily , who argue like **** about the sport, some it ti isn't worth reading, and some is,

The point is watch & enjoy the sport on TV, & don't pay much attention to the bickering online

Comment

also Doc, Lez doesn't post here

Comment

Originally posted by The Beer Baron:
                      <STRONG>also Doc, Lez doesn't post here </STRONG>

The baron shoots...yes! the baron scores!!!

You have won the prestigeous "BADDA BING" award for comedic excellence! This is only the third one in history ever presented. Previous winners include the hilarious Bigwheel and the dead on the money flagman. Sir, enjoy your fame in great health.

And what do we say about comedy, Baron?

Comment

posted by Doc Austin,
                        Hey, are you C-7 as in Corvette C-7 American LeMans series race car? There could be some big plans for the sportscar forum and the more, the merrier.
                        Sorry to dissappoint Doc, but no.

c7 is part of my email address and is just a short name because I make too many typo's.

I AM a casual fan of all motorsports and a Big fan of the Indy Racing League and nearly all forms of Short Track racing.

To give you a bit more background on myself here are a few races/places I hope to attend in person one day.

In no particular order:
                        • 24 hours of LeMans
                        • Texas IRL Night Race
                        • Daytona (500 or 24Hr)
                        • Oswego (NY) Classic
                        • Chili Bowl
                        • Knoxville Nationals
                        • NHRA US Nationals
                        • Richmond IRL Race
                        "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
                        - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

Thank Austin!

Everyone knows what comedy is, those that don't are sour bitter apples

Comment

Originally posted by The Beer Baron:
                            <STRONG>

There are about 1 million fans who watch Open Wheel racing regularily on TV, (when they get the chance ) , there's about 500 people who post on all CARt/IRL forums regularily , who argue like **** about the sport, some it ti isn't worth reading, and some is,

The point is watch & enjoy the sport on TV, & don't pay much attention to the bickering online </STRONG>
                            Barron,I agree with your point on the relative few,considering who see the races on TV,that actually take the time to post on these sites.

You stated 500,I say less than 200...who do it on a regularly basis,not including the ones who just come to read only or the registered amounts of the sites.

Comment

Just think, if we didn't have a computer none of the stuff would happen.
                              And it really doesn't matter.
                              This board or any other board will not change the racing world as we know it.
                              Can we change who Eddie will hire?
                              NO.
                              Can we change what Pook will do?
                              NO
                              The average fan will always be a race fan. This board and others like it do not have race fans.

It has race fanatics.
                              So be it and enjoy it.
                              Racing is racing and weather it is F1 from Germany or IMCA modifieds at the local track on Sat nite. It's just a great sport.
                              Thanks for listening.
                              I've got sources. I used to know a T-Shirt vendor at the Phoenix track.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X