X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple of good reads

http://www.racingnewsonline.com/story?id=47071
    http://www.racingnewsonline.com/story?id=47354
    If the league is not going to shift their stance on the fees I would imagine all of the ovals would start being replaced by "chamber of commerce financially supported" TV infomercials dressed up like a car race for different city centers across the USA.

From the first article:

"I think the Watkins Glen course is an important one, since it has a mythic link with American racing fans. From 1961 to 1980, the U.S. Grand Prix took place at the Glen, and Formula One fans recognize the upstate New York track as a high exponent of American sport. If the IRL were to break their road course prohibition with a race at the Glen, they would completely drain any momentum CART would be able to build up under Pook and earn more support. The IRL should take no more than two road course races, though, and for the second race I suggest Road Atlanta. Putting the Glen and Road Atlanta on the IRL schedule would give the league serious road racing chops, and undercut CART's criticism of the IRL as unable to turn right."

Very good point.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
    "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

"The IRL should take no more than two road course races.......would give the league serious road racing chops, and undercut CART's criticism of the IRL as unable to turn right."

Just two road course races would come nowhere near giving the league "serious road racing chops", imho. No more so than the two(?) that Nascar runs.

And if anyone thinks "cherry picking" is what sometimes happens at the 500, chances are you'd see it happen there, too...probably initiated by various full-time teams. A "bizzaro" ride-buying phenomenom, of sorts.

Comment

NO RIGHT TURNS, EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by dironstarr:
          <STRONG>NO RIGHT TURNS, EVER!</STRONG>
          Well, NOW'S a fine time to tell me!! If you would have chimed in sooner, I wouldn't have needed to respond above!

Comment

I noticed the stories I posted are listed on the front page here. Is there some association between TF and that web site?
            If the league is not going to shift their stance on the fees I would imagine all of the ovals would start being replaced by "chamber of commerce financially supported" TV infomercials dressed up like a car race for different city centers across the USA.

Comment

If you really want a chuckle, read the Penske story from that web site. There is a link on the Track Forum main page as well.

It is like those pictures in kid's books where there are all kinds of things hidden in them that are wrong, and you have to find them.

I don't know if this guy didn't check his facts, didn't know his subject matter, or just changed events around to make his story more "dramatic".

Maybe he is really Geraldo Rivera trying his hand at race reporting!!!

It is that bad.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: indyracer56 ]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X