JKernan, RM, RPM, NASCAR, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JKernan, RM, RPM, NASCAR, etc.

I've never met Mr. Kernan in person, but what I see and read is a professional. For him to comment on a colleague or a competitor here would be inappropriate at best. He has maintained his objectivity or at least kept his preferences to himself, which is better all round for everyone, especially John himself. He is a welcome contrast to others who feel the need to rant, rave, shout, get in your face, etc.

Robin Miller is here to stay for the time being. We must deal with it. He is not reporting as much as he is doing commentary and stirring the pot. He is the same person who blasts each sanctioning body equally. If he has a problem of some sort with TG, then it's his problem. Like him or not, and most of us don't, he knows and loves open wheel racing.

NASCAR is the 800 pound gorilla and we must deal with that as well. I have the chance to attend 3 different Daytona 500 parties this weekend. Reminds me of the Super Bowl weekend. They have locked up the casual fan. They have a black belt in marketing and are reaping the benefits of that, the Simpson "problem" notwithstanding.

Today I stopped at the diner where I visit each day at work. The folks there are typical Hoosiers, friendly as can be. They are intense NASCAR fans. The twin 125's were on and I had a little extra time. These folks don't know or care about a quarter inch of extra spoiler. They don't care that Dale Jr. is driving a Chevy. They are doing good to know Mike Wallace from Mike Skinner. But they have all picked a favorite driver or two, then they root for him. They pay special attention to new paint schemes. And they have no clue that Jeff, Tony, Ryan, etc. came from an open wheel background. The IRL or CART are barely a blip on the radar screen for them. Laugh at them or write them off, but the fact remains is that there are lots of them and they have $$$ to spend. How can RPM2nite ignore them? How can anyone ignore them?

To each their own. I'm jumping off here for now to head north to the big city where I plan to join a few other old [email protected], eat, drink, talk, laugh, and maybe even watch some old racing movies.

Finally, one of several questions must be asked. Is bigger necessarily better when it comes to what is popular? Is what we determine to be popular necessarily something of quality?

You decide. I'm out of here.
    www.openwheelracing.com

Originally posted by DannyB:
    <STRONG>Finally, one of several questions must be asked. Is bigger necessarily better when it comes to what is popular? Is what we determine to be popular necessarily something of quality?

www.openwheelracing.com</STRONG>
    Like - MickiD's, The BS Boys, Wham, Celine Dion, and the other BS etc.

Pop culture has always eluded me.
    By the time you finish reading this you realize that you have wasted 5 seconds of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyB:
      <STRONG>Finally, one of several questions must be asked. Is bigger necessarily better when it comes to what is popular? Is what we determine to be popular necessarily something of quality?

www.openwheelracing.com</STRONG>
      But because something is big, does that necessarily mean that it is not something of quality? Does the fact that something things are small and obscure, such as CART and the IRL necessarily mean that they are quality?

Whether a racing series is something of quality, is like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.
      DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock,

I enjoy them all to a certain degree, some more than others, but they all have their attractions

of course the only reason I say that is because Lee Roy beat me to the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" quote.

oh yeah, then there's rap...

I'm kinda havin' a hard time with that one

all kidding aside, I'm with Danny on whether general popularity proves, or disproves, the quality of an event.

For example, I for one will greatly miss attending the Belle Isle Champcar weekend this year.
        "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird:
          <STRONG>all kidding aside, I'm with Danny on whether general popularity proves, or disproves, the quality of an event.
          </STRONG>
          It is a valid point. But as I said, if something is popular, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't quality. Look at the NFL. And "football", which we call "soccer", which is wildly popular around the world. And then there is Formula One, a series whose popularity dwarfs that of NASCAR. I don't think I've ever heard anyone doubt the quality of that series.

But as n-turbo said, then there's MacDonalds . . .

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Lee Roy ]

Comment

n-turbo,

Now wait a minute. Wham ROCKED!

jmart

Comment

What is a "Wham"?????

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy:
                <STRONG>What is a "Wham"?????</STRONG>
                Wham was a pop duo from the 1980's.

Their big hit was "Wake Me Up Before You Go".

When the group ended, one guy in the group went into auto racing. I can't remember his name.

The other guy was George Michael.
                http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X