Camping options for the Indy 500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping options for the Indy 500?

I'm considering camping out for Memorial Weekend in the Indianapolis area, instead of paying 'gouge rates' at one of the local hotels.

Do any of you Indy residents know of any campsites within a manageable drive of the track? Driving up with my tent should save me some bucks and give me more flexibility in case of rain delays.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Cant_hit_apex:
    <STRONG>I'm considering camping out for Memorial Weekend in the Indianapolis area, instead of paying 'gouge rates' at one of the local hotels.

Do any of you Indy residents know of any campsites within a manageable drive of the track? Driving up with my tent should save me some bucks and give me more flexibility in case of rain delays.

Any ideas?</STRONG>
    LOTS of places to camp near the track. You can be a block from the track for $75 for the weekend. That includes parking your car. This would be for a nice spot in someone's yard.

I believe the speedway lots are somewhat cheaper, but FAR louder and when it rains muddier.

I believe in camping NEAR the party and walking to it. Being in the middle is NOT GOOD when the rains come. And "yes Virginia", it is gonna rain sometime Memorial Day weekend.
    We flipped our finger to the King of England
    Stole our country from the Indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own!

Comment

<STRONG>
      Any ideas?</STRONG>
      E-mail me.. I can get you 1/2 a block from Georgetown Road (4th turn pedestrian entrance)
      [email protected]

Comment

For the last 15 years I've camped at
        Indianapolis Raceway Park about 7 miles
        west of the Speedway. It's a beautiful
        spot, just over the guardrail from the
        Dragstrip and you can walk to the Oval
        for the Night Before The 500 midget race.
        I think I spent about 30.00 for Friday and
        Saturday nights and it has showers (not
        great, but showers all the same) and allows
        fires and group sites. A man named Bill runs
        the place and in good weather I'd rather
        wake up there than in the Hilton (Well,
        maybe the Hilton would be better if I could
        wake up with Brittany Spears and a big piece
        of Cheesecake)
        I'll be there again this year.

Comment

It isnt what you are looking for,, but when I hear camping in Indiana there is nothing that beats Turkey Run couple mile north of Terre Haute.
          "OWRS did not return phone calls."

Comment

Coke Lot, just off Georgetown Road and all the fun, cost less too!

Comment

Even closer. Camp right next to the American Legion on Georgetown Road. Don't plan to get much sleep the night before the race. But the experience, at least one time is worth it. Walk to your seats in the a.m. Don't have to fight traffic. Last year $100 for the weekend for a camper. Don't know if the rates went up this year. The Lot is owned by IMS. If you're not going to get there early (Thursday) call the track for reservations. The only downfall, our truck got stolen last year. Our RV got broken into and we lost about $8,000 worth of our lives. IMS accepts no responsibility. We'll be back again this year for more punishment.

Faith

Comment

<STRONG>I'm considering camping out for Memorial Weekend in the Indianapolis area, instead of paying 'gouge rates' at one of the local hotels.

Any ideas?</STRONG>
                Do you have an Rv or just going to do the tent thing? I stay 4 blocks from the track. It is zoom_zoom's brother. I got into a little bit of trouble last year parting all night then trying to work in the pits. So I won't be there myself. they put me on lock down this year. I have to stay with the team at the hotel.
                :mad: :mad:

Comment

Hey Cant_hit_apex,

I don't camp for Indy, but if I were going to I like the sound of Shadowcatcher's IRP suggestion. Check out the short trackers, find your campsite, crash or party, then drive the short trip to Speedway the next morning.

I like to party as much as the next guy, but the night before the Indy 500 I like to get my sleep. After all the 500 only comes once a year and I want to enjoy the race. I did stay in the Coke lot the year Rahal won ( '86 ? ) the race was rained out and didn't run until the next Saturday. My memories of that weekend are rain, rain, rain, more rain, mud, mud, mud, and approx. 2 hours of sleep. When the race did run the next weekend I did NOT camp in the Coke lot and instead stayed at my parents in Portland IN about 90 miles from Indy. It was kinda cool having the night before the race experience in the IMS area, but I most likely won't do it again.

Good Luck
                  "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
                  - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
                    <STRONG>Coke Lot, just off Georgetown Road and all the fun, cost less too!</STRONG>
                    Coke lot!!! Check out the fun I had a few years ago in the Coke lot by going here A lot of it is "had to be there", but you might be amused.

http://harm.net
                    http://CampAndBrew.com

Comment

The Coke lot is so named because there is a Coca-Cola bottling plant on 25th Street, which begins/ends at the pedestrian entrance at turn four. So the Coke lot itself is a large field right across the street from turn four along Georgetown Road. Its borders are G'Town Road, 25th Street, Moller Road, and 30th Street. You can't miss it. RV's, tents, cars, anything goes there. I'm not sure about the pricing, since I live in Indy and can sleep in my own bed.

This was just to clarify what and where the Coke lot is.
                      www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

B1....
                        Tisk, tisk,tisk,tisk!!

"AB"
                        In Memory of Brian Hall (Brian's Wish) - Racing for Kids - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Cheever's still "My Guy"

"How's this for a political platform? Don't lie or cover-up!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X