Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding Bradley's continuance in the league...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Bradley's continuance in the league...

First of all, let me preface this by statsing that I'm not familar with Bradley Foodstores, and am not sure of their size, target area, etc.

My question: if the IRL is as an effective marketing tool as we are lead to believe, then why would Bradley not stay in for that reason? Aren't stores such as these (Bradley Sav-O-Mart) target IRL sponsors? Wouldn't sponsorship of an IRL car be an effective marketing tool, and an effective usage of Bradley advertising dollars, for those stores?

I guess I just don't understand why a team owner, who has a marketable product, and is intimately familar with Indy racing, would need to find a primary sponsor to continue with the team? Is Bradley basically saying that the IRL is not an effective marketing tool, (unless your son drives for the team)? It's not like Bradley is a company that has no marketable product (to the masses).

What am I missing? Maybe Bradley's ad budget cannot afford Indy sponsorship?
    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Maybe Brad Calkins is willing to fund a team for his son as a driver, but not as his son the owner.
    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's the interesting quote from the Indy Star:
      Indy Racing League driver Buzz Calkins announced his retirement Wednesday but vowed to keep his family-owned team on the track as long as possible.

His preference is to hire veteran driver Mark Dismore, if sponsorship can be found for the long term. Calkins' six seasons in the IRL were financed primarily by Bradley Food Marts, a company his father, Brad Calkins, owns.

"It doesn't make sense to keep paying for this if I'm not in the car," said Calkins, who expects to rekindle his love for motorsports as a car owner.
      "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

One of the first things Buzz did was make contact with IRL officials to assure them that they would like to be on the Leaders Circle program! This is a good team with all of the best equipment, an updated Dallara, Ilmor engines, if TG is indeed funding AL this will be the team!

Comment

I do recall a red car being mentioned in the rumors of little al.
          Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder-Tank:
            <STRONG>I do recall a red car being mentioned in the rumors of little al.</STRONG>
            But wasn't there something about a single digit too?
            IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
              <STRONG>My question: if the IRL is as an effective marketing tool as we are lead to believe, then why would Bradley not stay in for that reason? Aren't stores such as these (Bradley Sav-O-Mart) target IRL sponsors? Wouldn't sponsorship of an IRL car be an effective marketing tool, and an effective usage of Bradley advertising dollars, for those stores?

I guess I just don't understand why a team owner, who has a marketable product, and is intimately familar with Indy racing, would need to find a primary sponsor to continue with the team? Is Bradley basically saying that the IRL is not an effective marketing tool, (unless your son drives for the team)? It's not like Bradley is a company that has no marketable product (to the masses).
              </STRONG>
              excellent question, but I don't believe you'll find an honest answer from the congregation. most likely you will receive lots of responses about AUJ, dizz, and other local favorites, but nobody is likely to address the real question you posed.

no one wants to be the guy who says the emperor's not wearing any clothes...

Comment

Actually, I think Matt answered his own question. I think Bradley Food Marts are a local chain in Colorado. Probably not big enough for a national marketing campaign based on racing. It was different when Brad Calkins was funding his son's driving career. It has nothing to do with what the emperor is wearing, other than the size of his pockets.
                "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Bradley's are mostly gas stations. Some are the newer mega-mart style, and some are just your standard ole gas station. NOTE: They usually beat their competitors by a couple pennies per gallon.

They are a regional company mostly based around Denver. There is only one IRL race in their target market.
                  We flipped our finger to the King of England
                  Stole our country from the Indians
                  With god on our side and guns in our hands
                  We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by 2fast4u:
                    <STRONG>

excellent question, but I don't believe you'll find an honest answer from the congregation. most likely you will receive lots of responses about AUJ, dizz, and other local favorites, but nobody is likely to address the real question you posed.

no one wants to be the guy who says the emperor's not wearing any clothes... </STRONG>
                    What a load!!!!. I guess some people will jump at any excuse for a put down, even when it makes them look extremely silly. Just a moments reflection would point a reasonable person to the regional aspect of the Caulkins business and that they might (without the family driven reasons) well determine that regional marketing would be more bang for the buck than national.
                    Gary Crossno

Comment

So basically Bradley would make a decent associate, but probably not big enough on a national scale to spend $4MM advertising on an Indycar.

Is that the case? If so I understand a little better.

Who's fuel does Bradley distribute? Sinclair?
                      "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

okay, I stand corrected. my bad. I was suckered in by the eloquence of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
                          <STRONG>So basically Bradley would make a decent associate, but probably not big enough on a national scale to spend $4MM advertising on an Indycar.

Is that the case? If so I understand a little better.

Who's fuel does Bradley distribute? Sinclair?</STRONG>
                          Yep, you got it. They'd make a nice associate, but when Buzz was driving it made sense to spend a little more.

Buzz did Sinclair gas promos on the radio here in Colorado last season.

If you could sell regular beer at the gas stations in Colorado (you can't, only the 3.2 stuff), then a Bradley/Budweiser deal would make a lot of sense. Alas, I don't know if the volume is there with the current laws. And I'm not sure what the laws are in WY, for some of their other stores.

Having the Bradley stores at their disposal would certainly be an asset for some B2B deals.
                          We flipped our finger to the King of England
                          Stole our country from the Indians
                          With god on our side and guns in our hands
                          We took it for our own!

Comment

Good for Dismore. My bet he is the number one choice. They have been working together in the off season. Mark's personality would be a better fit for that team.

I truly do not believe the Unser for Ray scenario is over. Car #7 has a boat load of red on it, right, Fueler?
                            Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

It is possible that the cost of funding the IRL team is still lower than some regional only promotions. I can remember seeing national ads for products not available nationally on TV.
                              Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X