Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about another Short Track (not Bristol) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about another Short Track (not Bristol) ??

After seeing some ASA highlights this past weekend I pose this question.

Could the IRL possibly run another "Short Track" race at Memphis Motorsports Park .75 mile oval??
    http://www.memphismotorsports.com/html/maps.html

It is hard to tell from TV, but it appears to be a nice facility.

Here are some reasons to do this.
    • Gives schedule more variety?
    • Another Open Wheel Triple Header Possibility (IRL, IPS, Silver Crown) !

Here are some reasons NOT to do this.
    • Too close to Nashville and St. Louis?
    • One "Short Track" is enough?

What are some other opinions out there??
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
    - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Options?

DuQuoin
    Eldora
    Cleveland
    Road America
    While danger ought never to be needlessly incurred, it is yet true that the keenest zest in sport comes from its presence, and from the consequent exercise of the qualities necessary to overcome it. --Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I think 2 short tracks would be the perfect number. Memphis might be a good choice. Don't know about the condition of the track surface... a smooth track would be crucial to a safe race.

The turns are 70' wide and 11 deg. banking, compared to 60' and 14 deg at Richmond... so the tracks are probably about equal in terms of raciness. Memphis only seats about 25K... so it could possibly sell out.
      Memphis is about 200 miles from Nashville... so they are definitely separate markets.

Might be worth a shot!
      Quit whining. Enjoy the racing.

Comment

I would like to see that also. I have to drive from Atlanta to Nashville, KY or Indy for a race. This would be another option. Another short track would even out the championship series by producing another handling track.

I think, however, I saw on their web page Memphis was owned by some partnership called Grand Prix Association of Long Beach, whatever that is. May be they would like a different series. I know Long Beach is a big city, but sounds like it might be a problme. Anyone know more about it.

Comment

two short tracks are more then enough, in truth Naz is 9/10ths of a mile, then there is the 3/4 miler at RIR. Memphis, according to some that go there, on both sides of the fence, is a "toilet bowl." in more ways then one, a mistake by DDE, that they are doing little about it.

Comment

How big is Irwindale out in California? Too small for IRL?

I've seen a couple late model races at Birmingham Alabama. 5/8 asphalt with covered stands. That would be awesome!
            Live like Dave

Comment

I think, however, I saw on their web page Memphis was owned by some partnership called Grand Prix Association of Long Beach, whatever that is. May be they would like a different series. I know Long Beach is a big city, but sounds like it might be a problme. Anyone know more about it.[/QB][/QUOTE]

GPALB is the company that owns The Long Beach Grand Prix,Denver Grand Prix and next year the St. Peterburgh Grand Prix Street races. They built Gateway and bought Memphis drag strip then added the 3/4 mile oval about 6 years ago. In turn it is now owned by Dover Downs who owns Dover raceway and recently built the Nashville Speedway.

tb

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ:
                <STRONG>How big is Irwindale out in California? Too small for IRL? </STRONG>
                1/2 mile exactly. Too small I think. Memphis would be a great addition IMHO.
                Hendrik Gerhardt

Comment

I don't think everything has to be a well banked, 1.5 mile track, but how short is too short, and do you really think the IRL cars put on great shows at such small tracks? I'd perfer ANY race to nothing, but given a choice, would prefer no additional small tracks.

Comment

Milwaukee before anything else
                    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X