Gil on the radio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil on the radio...

On my way home from work this afternoon , I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Richmond sports radio station ( WRNL 910 AM ) do a live phone interview with Gil . The guy , Mike Minescalko ( sp.? ) seemed to either be keeping up with the IRL , or at least had done his homework .

For all those at "the other place" who keep going on and on about how much Gil isn't having fun , doesn't like the IRL , misses CART - I got news for you : It ain't so ! ( or as my buddy at work says , "if it's a lie , he told it!". Nothing but complements for the IRL , how much he's enjoying the season "one of my best ever" , etc. He made it clear he misses road racing , but said it in no way diminishes enjoying the IRL . Talked about the success of the IRL will continue to draw talented drivers and continue to grow. best of all , he said he has no regrets about the move and looks forward to racing in the series he's in now .
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

If Sam can't pull off another championship this year, I hope Gil gets it... 3 in a row would be something else wouldn't it!

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: rev-ed ]

Comment

I got to listen to both Helio & Gil on local radio after the race yesterday and they both were very pro-IRL in their comments. Gil was super pumped up after his win and Helio even took the time on the air to compliment Tony George for starting the IRL. Contrary to what the IRL bashers had predicted, everybody in the organization from Roger Penske seems to be pretty happy in the IRL – go figure.

Comment

Totally untrue.

The fans of Can't Always Reveal Truth said he's unhappy so I believe them.

You can see how distraught he is here:

Why, it almost brings a tear to my eye to stare the look of bondage in the face.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

It was Tony George in his best Brazilian accent...

No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Gil ain a bad guy. Kind of a downtrodden guy.

Its helio that i really warmed up to. That guy is hilarious and an awesome driver to watch race.

Ive kinda enjoyed Team Penske coming over to the IRL.

My dad though still hates em. That kind of thing adds fans right? Rooting against a team you hate?

Comment

Even if Gil or Helio hated the IRL they would do well to keep thier thoughts to themselves. Penske doesn't like his drivers shooting thier mouths off when they are unhappy, remember what happened to Paul Tracy for expressing an opinion on the Penske chassis in private.
              Litle Al always kept his comments positive and kept his job even though it had been Tracy producing the results.
              If you were hiring a CEO for IMS in 1990 would you have hired Tony George?

Comment

Although it's not road racing, it's indy cars (open wheel) and the pay has not been to shabby. I think the attitude in the IRL might me slightly warmer when dealing with driver to driver interaction off the track. Yea, you have got some that have conflicts, but overall, Gil and Helio seem to like the atmoshere of the IRL family. And helio has been chances to get some camera time which I'm sure he likes. I also found Gil's cooking segment very helpful. My steaks have never been better.
                Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

From Saturday's TrackSideLive notes:

During the post qualifying press conference, Gil de Ferran remarked that he was "having a lot of fun this year", and that this was "one of the most fun seasons I've had racing". He likes the "fluidity" if the IRL races, with all the passing, and that he can move forward and backward as his car's handling dictates.
                  yep, he's definately unhappy. Oh, and don't forget scared . . .

Comment

Originally posted by jandj:
                    <STRONG>On my way home from work this afternoon , I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Richmond sports radio station ( WRNL 910 AM ) do a live phone interview with Gil . The guy , Mike Minescalko ( sp.? ) seemed to either be keeping up with the IRL , or at least had done his homework .

For all those at "the other place" who keep going on and on about how much Gil isn't having fun , doesn't like the IRL , misses CART - I got news for you : It ain't so ! ( or as my buddy at work says , "if it's a lie , he told it!". Nothing but complements for the IRL , how much he's enjoying the season "one of my best ever" , etc. He made it clear he misses road racing , but said it in no way diminishes enjoying the IRL . Talked about the success of the IRL will continue to draw talented drivers and continue to grow. best of all , he said he has no regrets about the move and looks forward to racing in the series he's in now .</STRONG>
                    He is on the radio in Richmond to promote the race and the IRL so he is not gonna say anything to the contrary. Gil is smart and has a lot of class.

Comment

I agree with the smart and classy part , but the Richmond race was in June.....
                      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Gil's one of my favorite drivers and I love watching him in the IRL. Of course he's having fun.

I especially liked it when he talked about being in fuel conservation mode so that they didn't have to put as much in on the next stop and could spend less time in the pits. Panther could learn a thing or two about real race strategy.

I would enjoy seeing Gil back in CART, but not with Penske. I think Roger is right where he belongs.
                        Sifaka

Comment

I heard the same radio show, good deal for the road.

The first thing I thought was Gil sure didn't sound like the haunted and intimidated driver some here have described.

I think Gil is in the IRL for the long haul while Helio's eye may be wandering more than when he's frying fish.
                          "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
                            <STRONG>I would enjoy seeing Gil back in CART, but not with Penske. I think Roger is right where he belongs.</STRONG>
                            sour grapes, sif? I thought you once said Penske would be a CART team until he had one full season in the IRL and didn't return to CART in 2003. Didn't you mention something once about reserving his numbers?

Comment

Yeah 'bird, but wandering to where? F1 would have to be a long shot, he's done CART & I doubt he has any interest in NASCAR.
                              Never try to teach a Pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the Pig ...
                              Peace: JR

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X