Expect a big night on RPM-2nite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expect a big night on RPM-2nite

When the IRL would run on a Saturday night. Coverage was very limited if any on Monday night. RPM said that since the race was run on Saturday that it was old news for Monday. Nascar ran on Saturaday so the IRL and Cart races should dominate the coverage tonight on RPM2nite. Lets hope so as ABC is partnered with the IRL. Looking forward to a good show??

Originally posted by JungHo:
    <STRONG>When the IRL would run on a Saturday night. Coverage was very limited if any on Monday night. RPM said that since the race was run on Saturday that it was old news for Monday. Nascar ran on Saturaday so the IRL and Cart races should dominate the coverage tonight on RPM2nite. Lets hope so as ABC is partnered with the IRL. Looking forward to a good show??</STRONG>
    You naughty boy!
    You weren't supposed to remember that!

Once we have stronger sponsors with RPM on "redial" we'll have more "respect"
    But you're right, tonight should be an interesting program.
    carl s
    Indio, CA
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

It's going to be 15 minutes of Kenny Wallace yammering about NASCAR, with IRL and CART dividing the rest (subtracting time for commercials).
      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by midtown:
        <STRONG>It's going to be 15 minutes of Kenny Wallace yammering about NASCAR, with IRL and CART dividing the rest (subtracting time for commercials).</STRONG>
        I'd guess 15 min's of NASCAR's, then 5 min's of NHRA (yawn) then whatever's left, minus comercials for CART and IRL...

Comment

Jung Ho - RPM 2 Night never said it was old news on Monday. Someone on the site said it was old news. RPM is a daily news show - we do 7 shows a week. On Monday, we are going to deal with the news of the day first and then put the racing weekend into proper persepctive based on the input we get from our viewers. But, the show still is only 22 minutes long less commerials and everything does not get in everday. Today, because we are at the US nationals, drag racing is going to take part of the time that it normally wouldn't on other Mondays. That doesn't mean we ignore the IRL, it means today, on this day, something else is going to take some of its time and hopefully it will get made up during the rest of the week.
          But we do 7 shows a week...Last night, we did a lot of IRL and very little Nascar. Today, we will probablky do more NHRA and a bit less of some other series

Comment

Originally posted by rpm2night:
            <STRONG>Jung Ho - RPM 2 Night never said it was old news on Monday. </STRONG>
            Are you sure JohnK didn't give that as an excuse? That is the way I remember it.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: CamKing ]
            "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
            Vice President, Marketing
            IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

I had a nice conversation with "The Man" at Gateway, and he explained some of the reasoning behind the programming decisions.

The guys with the big chain saws and axes get better ratings than IRL replays. The steroid stuffers carrying ship anchors probably do too. It's an easy decision for the guy calling the shots.

As for RPM2nite, facts are the IRL gets more and better coverage than in the past. If everyone seems to be satisfied with steady attendance growth, why the heart attack when the TV exposure does the same?

Finally, give the guy a break. He likes his job, he likes the IRL, and he likes us (well, except for one guy ). If you have to incessantly beyootch about the show or programming, howabout finding someone else to harangue? The constant noise has alienated the staff of the show.

Heck, even your psycho ex girlfriend went away after being treated like that. And you do remember thinking she would never leave, hmmmmmm?

[ August 26, 2002: Message cut and pasted by: rrrr, because he is too lazy to think up another original post. ]

Comment

Well said rrrrrrrrrr.
                IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I don't care if "the staff" is alienated.

Comment

Originally posted by rrrr:
                    <STRONG>
                    If everyone seems to be satisfied with steady attendance growth, why the heart attack when the TV exposure does the same?
                    </STRONG>
                    Maybe because we get told a bunch of excuses from RPM. If the truth is that the IRL gets the coverage that RPM feels it deserves, that is fine with me. If RPM feels that there isn't enough interest in the IRL to give the IRL any more coverage, then they should say so. All I have read for the last 2 years are excuses.
                    "The CART race got more coverage because it was a more exciting race"
                    "Robin Miller is covering for Marlo while she is on maternity leave"
                    "We're on location at an NHRA event, so we will be covering more drag racing."

If RPM believes there isn't enough interest in the IRL to give it more coverage, that is fine. It is a business, and they should do what they think is best. I'm just getting a little tired of the excuses.
                    "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
                    Vice President, Marketing
                    IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

It got more coverage than CART tonight.
                      IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Well said Cam King.
                        My thoughts to a T.
                        aXe
                        Born Again Race Fan seen at
                        www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

The IRL draws three times the households of the other series. It should get three times as much coverage, if I follow the their logic as they've explained it.

Comment

What a stupid thing to say. "IRL gets 3 times the households as the other series"??

What other series? Rally racing on Speedvision?

Certainly not CART. IRL and CART are in a dead heat. Indy outscores anything CART has - but only equals a run-of-the-mill NASCAR race. Usually NASCAR ratings are triple CART + IRL!! - so by that reasoning, any racing show should be ALL NASCAR!!

Leaving aside the essentially equal (and equally bad!) open-wheel ratings, CART is killing IRL at the turnstiles!! Did you see the crowd in Montreal? The qualifying crowd was 10X the Gateway race-day crowd.

The Road America crowd was between 55K and 60K - (including me), and Denver will be huge, too.

Gosh, do you think sponsors see value in actually getting to connect with a large crowd on the midway at the race itself?

The truth is - cumulative CART race attendance dwarfs IRL race attendance, including Indy...and the series have run about the same number of events to this point in the summer.

"The split" is ancient news - but it's still the fact of life in the sorry state of American open wheel racing.

All the sins you guys once charged to CART are brightly residing in IRL now. Choke on them.

Comment

Gee, Brian, I hope you fell better now! You just unloaded a lot of stuff that is YOUR perception! Thank you!
                              Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X