Penske car count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penske car count

Why doesn't Penske run more than 2 cars in the IRL?

His cost savings this year alone are enormous with less races, staying in the US, cheaper equipment, and no factory in England.

Why not run a 3rd or 4th car. Maybe a couple of young americans?

Bone you and I don't agree on a lot of things, but I am with you on this one.
    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Bone:
      <STRONG>Why doesn't Penske run more than 2 cars in the IRL?

His cost savings this year alone are enormous with less races, staying in the US, cheaper equipment, and no factory in England.

Why not run a 3rd or 4th car. Maybe a couple of young americans?</STRONG>
      Why stretch a successful two-car effort?

Sure, Penske can afford the bodies... but will they be the RIGHT bodies to fit in at Penske?

Are you sure the factory in Poole's doing nothing?
      http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Because there is some question if he can afford it. When Marlboro moved the team from CART to the IRL, they also were aware of the cost savings and reduced their sponsorship levels accordingly. Roger is not known for running race programs on his own dime.

Comment

Stretch?

Remember 1994? Where did the extra Marlboro money go?

I know one thing, they are not building Renskes in Poole.

I think by the time May rolls around that question will be answered regarding what the people in Poole are doing for 2003 - 2006. Right now they are probably tearing apart Dallara tubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fueler:
            <STRONG>Because there is some question if he can afford it. </STRONG>
            I guess Menard shouldn't be running a team then.

Wouldn't that be a b!tch if they lowered his budget and he didn't win? I don't think that is the case though.

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Mista Bone ]

Comment

ask him, none of us can speak for him!

Comment

Penske brought both stockcar teams under one roof this year, went to a shorter and closer to home formula schedule, draw your own conclusions.
                "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird:
                  <STRONG>.........draw your own conclusions.</STRONG>
                  That's what we do best!

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Bone:
                    <STRONG>Stretch?

Remember 1994? Where did the extra Marlboro money go?

</STRONG>
                    Marlboro Latin America may well have helped back then with Emmo.

Comment

The real truth is every year for quite some time Penske spends more than he gets from Marlboro.

This is not an issue of how much money Marlboro gives to Penske. If Penske losses Marlboro he would be running a 2 car team with new sponsors. If Barry Green loses KOOL he sits home.

Comment

The real truth is every year for quite some time Penske spends more than he gets from Marlboro.
                        This is not an issue of how much money Marlboro gives to Penske.
                        That's true. BUT he doesn't spend more than his total sponsored income generated by signed sponsors. Marlboro cut back significantly, there are no new associate sponsors (and won't be since Marlboro's contract with Penske limits the number of associates on the car, just as Miller's contract does in NASCAR), so overall there is less money available. Like I said, Roger is not known for running race teams on his own dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Fueler:
                          <STRONG>BUT he doesn't spend more than his total sponsored income generated by signed sponsors. </STRONG>
                          The people in Poole last year were not covered by his racing sponsorships (just as an example).

Comment

Because they only have 5 cars.
                            "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM:
                              <STRONG>Because they only have 5 cars.</STRONG>
                              And that is not enough? Is there a limit on how many he can buy?

I think the real answer is Roger doesn't want to come in and look like the big bad guy and run 4 top funded efforts and completely squash the small teams in the IRL.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X