Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheever Retires Helmet Design...

Cheever Retires Helmet Design...
    After 31 years of racing Eddie Cheever Jr. is retiring the helmet design he created with his father at age 13. Cheever will wear a black helmet in the Gateway Indy 250 in mourning for his father, Ed Cheever, who died Aug. 15 at age 74.

“My father was my hero,” said Cheever
    "This sport needs to go back to simpler times, go back to racing for what it is. It's all about entertainment now instead of racing. It seems we're getting more like WWF wrestling all the time." -- Tony Stewart

I heard that during the race broadcast, thought it was a very cool tribute.
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

I heard the intv Jerry Baker did with him, too. It was, naturally, very emotional for Eddie, but he handled it very well..though that's not to be unexpected.

Isn't there a copy-cat helmet or two out there, that was inspired by the Cheever design? I could be wrong, but thought I'd seen mention of it. If it's true, and if it was sort of a tribute, I wonder if this will have any bearing on their decision.

I'm impressed with Eddie's decision, though I'll miss his 'signature hat'. Personally, I hope he keeps the black one.

Comment

I'm sorry to see him retire it--it's a great design--one of the few distinctive ones this side of the Atlantic, and could still be worn in honor of his father.

Comment

I think maybe he should keep the design and just make the base color black as a tribute to his dad. That would be a cool looking lid!!!
          "This sport needs to go back to simpler times, go back to racing for what it is. It's all about entertainment now instead of racing. It seems we're getting more like WWF wrestling all the time." -- Tony Stewart

Comment

Yeah, I don't really understand the thought process behind this.

Retiring the helmet that you and your dad designed seems counter-productive.

But it's his dad and his helmet so...

Comment

Can someone post a picture of the retired helmet?

Comment

Originally posted by mario:
                <STRONG>Can someone post a picture of the retired helmet?</STRONG>
                This sounds like a line out of "Porky's".
                "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Let eddie honor his father in the manner in which he feels appropriate.

If it were me, I would keep the helmet but put something on it to honor him. After all these years, the design is part of Cheever's identity, a trademark of sorts. Since his father designed it, what better way to honor him than to continue to use it?

Either way, if Eddie, or a member of his team is lurking here, please know you and you family are in the thoughts of all Track forum members.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by mario:
                    <STRONG>Can someone post a picture of the retired helmet?</STRONG>
                    You can go here.

Comment

Comment

It always reminded me of an ABA basketball.
                        "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

It's a great helmet design! One of the best ever. I think that is a great tribute. But, he should wear it at Indy next year in his father's honor and win the race for him.

Laurent Redon & Anthony Davidson's helmets are both based on Eddie's. Ross Cheever's is also pretty cool looking, I actually almost copied the design; now Richard Antinucci uses Ross's design in F3 in England. Richard is Ross & Eddie's nephew. That design was also made by Ed SR.

RIP Eddie Cheever SR. A friend of my Dad's from Rome met Ed SR, and said he was a very nice person. He owned health clubs in Rome.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Fiorentina 1 ]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X