1937 letter from the speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 letter from the speedway

I don't know if posting the same message in forums is frowned upon, but i posted this in the nostalgia forum but then thought people here might like to see it also. so here it is!!!

A coworker of mine was going through some of his grandfathers stuff and found a letter from the speedway regarding ticket ordering. Since my office is full of 500 stuff i've collected over the years he knew I would get a kick out of it. It is 11" x 17" but is folded to be letter size with the letter on the front page. page 2 is a map of the speedway with a bunch of info about parking and stuff. page 3 is the order blank. (stand E box seats are $10.00 including tax). Page 4 is an unbelievably accurate diagram of the stands. each is gridded out to what appears to be down to the individual seat and box. The front page has a blue and silver top with some artwork showing cars, the pagoda, the circle monument from downtown, and other things. It is really something to see, and in near mint condition!!! my description doesn't do it justice!!

I'm editing this to further describe the blue and silver at the top of the letter. It almost looks embossed but I don't think it is. Maybe it's just a real reflective ink. This is really something considering the time period.

anyway, here is the letter:

March 6, 1937.

Mr. C. Y. Vilmont
    McGregor, Iowa

Dear Sir:

Better hurry!!

Tickets for the Silver Anniversary 500-Mile Race are going out at a merry clip.

No gasoline limitations this year--but drivers will have to use ordinary filling station gasoline, the same as you buy.

Track, due to additional alterations this year, will be faster than ever before and it looks as though Louis Meyer's record of 109.069 miles per hour, established last year, will be knocked into a cocked hat!!

Printed matter inside this folder gives complete information regarding the prices of seats, location of stands, parking spaces, etc., and, while our advance sale has been much heavier than in former years, we still have desirable spaces available in all classes of accommodations.

Use the ordere blank attached hereto, and send in your order and remittance promptly. We'll do the best we can to take care of your requests satisfactorily.

Best Regards,

Very truly yours,

INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY CORPORATION

(signature of T.E. Myers)
    Vice-President.

TEM-D
    Past photos of the Indianapolis 500
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p861540650

Obviously IMS and the cars that race there are doomed.

March 6, 1937 and still not a sell-out.

It will never recapture the glory that it had in the '20s.

Doomed, I tell 'ya.

Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by wes

Track, due to additional alterations this year, will be faster than ever before and it looks as though Louis Meyer's record of 109.069 miles per hour, established last year, will be knocked into a cocked hat!!

LMAO!!
      Just imagine Tom saying that over the PA!!
      ...---...

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
          LMAO!!
          Just imagine Tom saying that over the PA!!
          Hey I have a little french beret for mine... and a ball cap for casual friday.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Notice what a marketing tool breaking the track record is. Too bad those days are gone. I do think this is a reason that qual crowds are not what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardscrabble

March 6, 1937 and still not a sell-out.

Wasn't the country in the throes of a little thing known as "the Great Depression" in the 30's? In fact, if my memory of history is correct...after a slight improvement with the New Deal in the mid-30's, by 1937 and 38 the economy dipped into a new recession.

I'm guessing many things were tough sells around then.

Comment

My question on the whole "sell out" issue would be this:

Did they cap the number of tickets sold back then?

The track was just as big and I can only imagine the grounds would accomidate everyone that could make it there for the event in '37.

Comment

One word: PICTURES!
                  "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                  Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                  www.fairtax.org

Comment

The letter is a true treasure wes.
                    I know what Indy means!

Comment

That would be a really neat item to have.

Regarding the sellout issue, my dad tells the story of his first race in 1963 when he and a buddy drove down on a whim and the night before, while visiting the old museum located outside turn 1, he moseyed up to a bored looking gentleman behind the ticket counter and naively asked "Any tickets for tomorrow's race?" To his surprise, the response was "Sure, where do you want to sit?" And he was shown a map of the speedway and plenty of options! (He chose turn 3.) He's only missed two races since.

Comment

ah, the glory days................

My glory days: Every day I've spent at the Speedway since 1974.
                        www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

A scan would be greatly appreciated! I would like to see the "embossed" reflective ink. That would be way
                          The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Whosyer-Sparkplug
                            Hey I have a little french beret for mine
                            Of course you do.
                            "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyj
                              Wasn't the country in the throes of a little thing known as "the Great Depression" in the 30's? In fact, if my memory of history is correct...after a slight improvement with the New Deal in the mid-30's, by 1937 and 38 the economy dipped into a new recession.

I'm guessing many things were tough sells around then.

are we not now involved in a little thing called the war on terror?

I'm not guessing i'm knowing that attendance at many more events than the 500 Mile Race have been down the last five years.

ask the airline industry
                              "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎