Question about TS at Chili Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about TS at Chili Bowl

I noticed on the Chili Bowl telecast that Tony Stewart wasn't throwing the back end of his car out as far as the other drivers. For those who saw him in his pre-IRL days, has this always been his style, or is it a result of most of his racing the last few years having been on pavement? Or was it just a strategy he chose for that race, given the track conditions at that time?
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

He was just trying to keep his Right Rear tire on the tacky part of the track. There are a gazillion ways to be fast on a dirt track, but every one of them involves staying OFF the hard black part. Unless the whole track gets slicked off, and then you want to run wherever the rubber is getting laid down. In any case, you always want to be as straight as possible. Being hung out may look cool, but you only want to be as sideways as you have to be. Excessively loose will slow you down.

A lot of time though you'll bend it in REALLY far, to slow yourself down. Then straighten at the apex, and then hammer down all the way to the other end and do it all over again.

Apparently Danny "the Dude" Lasoski may have also been talking to Tony and convinced him the bottom may be the way to go.
    We flipped our finger to the King of England
    Stole our country from the Indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own!

Comment

He was using the strategy of that going slower is faster. Which happen to work that race.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel DeVore:
        <STRONG>He was using the strategy of that going slower is faster. Which happen to work that race.</STRONG>
        Yeah, I noticed that he didn't seem to be going as fast as the other cars, but, obviously, taking the short way around more than made up for it!
        "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Yeah, I think that after the B-Main when Danny passed 6 or 7 cars to get in to the show, he might of told Tony to just stick the car on the bottom. It sure worked! That is just what I think from hearing the race on the internet and watching it on tv!

Comment

The end result justified the action. I believe he saw what Danny did and learned. Maybe Tony has matured, in the past he may have ignored what he saw and heard and hung it out there anyway. I do think that the CB was on a short list of events that Tony wanted to win in his career. I think Belleville is next on the agenda. It is good to see someone that is still in tune with his roots. If only Jeff Gordon felt the same way, and if he does, would go out and prove it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X