X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discontent at TMS?

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/mo...s/13754029.htm
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.d77782e.html

"I hope they'll be back," said TMS president Eddie Gossage. "I really do. I want them back. But we have to see a lot of things. One is will there be any effect on us by no longer being the race after the Indy 500."
    "We don't know what impact that will have on competition," Gossage said. "It also changes the financial model we've had to work with in the past.
    Not sure if this belongs in IRL forum or Biz.

Sheesh. The second largest crowd on the schedule.

Or is Gossage just negotiating via the press?
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Gossage also said he has concerns about Honda being the only engine manufacturer in the series.

"We don't know what impact that will have on competition," Gossage said. "It also changes the financial model we've had to work with in the past.
    How does it change his financial model? I understand how it effects the series... was one of Honda/Toyota/Chevy a sponsor for the Texas race or something?

jono

Comment

Chevy sponsorship was always on at least one of the IRL races at TMS.

George has been unhappy with the IRL for a while now. That he's talking out this early about 2007 tells me that after this year, the race is in serious jeapordy.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob
        George has been unhappy with the IRL for a while now.
        You mean Eddie, right

Comment

I've heard a lot of unconfirmed rumors that ISC and TG have a fractious relationship at best (which, more than any other consideration, is the reason why Fontana and Phoenix got dropped from the schedule, if you believe them), but to have arguably the second most important venue on the IRL schedule start to show the same signs... well, I think even Pollyanna might do a double-take on that.

The IRL cannot afford to d*ck around with TMS. Period. End of story.
          Tony Johns
          PopOffValve.com - a greasy tenderloin of IndyCar goodness!
          "DON'T THINK TRITE!" - The Unions (Miss ya, Earl.)

Comment

How does it change his financial model?
            Some possibilities:

Hospitality areas/suites/food/beverage, track signage, midway displays, etc. purchased by C and T goes away or is reduced. T & C no longer purchase blocks of tickets for their guests.

The second race (sigh) was the Chevy 500 for some time. The spring race is the Bombardier 500.
            BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

I can not understand why Gossage continues to harp on this issue in the press. What he wants is for his race to be the first race after Indy which is fine BUT he can't or won't move dates because he can't move the trucks to the weekend after Indy. "I want to have the first race after Indy because I can get a nice crowd but I won't move to the weekend after Indy and I don't want anyone else to race on that weekend, either." For their part, IRL officials offered a variety of solutions for Texas but apparently none of those please Eddie. He wants his race 2 weeks after Indy and no race in between. Because.

For their part, the IRL feels that leaving the weekend after Indy open is not wise and it is hard to argue with them. How many more fans would have been in Texas last year if the race was a week early, right after Dan and Danica hit all the morning and sports shows? And how big an impact is a race in New York really going to have?

Gossage has options. He needs to decide which one is the best for him, take it and shut up. Dropping a race that draws well over 80,000 just because you don't get everything you want would seem to make no sense and constantly yammering about it in the press helps no one.

Comment

Chevy is a major partner to all the races at TMS. I hear what Eddie is saying here, and it doesn't surprise me at all. I don't believe he is negotiating in the press; I think he is just telling Terry the way it is.

In the first place, I know Eddie feels a little bit betrayed (for lack of a better word) because of the schedule. It was important to TMS to be the first race after Indy, two weeks after that race. The prestige of being the first race after Indy was important, and the business aspects of being two weeks after Indy gave Gossage's staff the physical time they needed to take the events at Indy and turn them into BIG sponsorship dollars for the speedway. That was pretty much a handshake agreement (although formalized at one time) that was important to Eddie.

The loss of two engine manufacturers is already going to cause some pain to all the track partners, and that will probably hit TMS more than most. That is two major sponsors not available for TMS now. It also impacts TMS's promotional programs for ticket sales, because Chevy and Toyota dealers will no longer be part of that picture. Eddie is the consumate promoter, and the IRL allowed two big fish out of his pond. It reduces his options.

The IRL needs to get their heads on straight, and pretty quick. Move Watkins Glen to another date for 2007, put TMS back to the first race after Indy, 2 weeks later. It's pretty simple to me. Gene Simmons isn't going to solve this deal for Tony George. It's going to take going back and remembering "who brung ya' to the dance."

Comment

Eddie knows what the INDY Car on-track product is and that it's a good one. And he doesn't have to deal with the individual team owners.
                  Last edited by rev-ed; 01-31-2006, 08:49 AM.
                  the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                    I can not understand why Gossage continues to harp on this issue in the press. What he wants is for his race to be the first race after Indy which is fine BUT he can't or won't move dates because he can't move the trucks to the weekend after Indy. "I want to have the first race after Indy because I can get a nice crowd but I won't move to the weekend after Indy and I don't want anyone else to race on that weekend, either." For their part, IRL officials offered a variety of solutions for Texas but apparently none of those please Eddie. He wants his race 2 weeks after Indy and no race in between. Because.
                    Because NASCAR refuses to move the Trucks? Just a thought.

Comment

Tbyars, I absolutely disagree. In today's age, there is no reason Gossage needs 2 weeks to prepare and one would think the post Indy glow would offset the extra 7 days. He needs Dan or Danica or Sam to do local press? Then he'd better be on the ball, hire a couple of camera crews in Indy and do the feeds from there, set up teleconferences for the print guys. And how does a race in Watkins Glen harm his?

Gossage already jerked around with Texas 2 - he had options there as well. There were dates that would have worked for him and the IRL but he rejected them and gave the IRL an option that he knew they wouldn't take. He's doing the same thing here: "I won't host a race the week after Indy and no one else can, either."

The press issue is a smoke screen; the real problem is the Trucks which can't move to the weekend after Indy because they are in Dover. If he is going to dump the IRL because he thinks he can fill that track with a standalone Truck date, well, more power to him.

Comment

TMS was good for the IRL through the entire life of the series...to dump them for a road 'race' in NY was dumb...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan
                          TMS was good for the IRL through the entire life of the series...to dump them for a road 'race' in NY was dumb...
                          they should have dumped them for an OVAL at Fontana......... :mad:
                          the man in expensive shoes

Comment

They didn't dump Texas for Watkins Glen. When Eddie wouldn't move his race up a week, they put WG in the hole in the schedule. Should be a win-win. WG gets the post-Indy push and Texas gets to keep the trucks and the date they want. What's the problem? All the fans from New Mexico are going to drive to upstate New York instead of Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester
                              Or is Gossage just negotiating via the press?
                              Bingo. And that tactic is sleazy. I'm certain there is room to negotiate on BOTH sides. For any ONE side to let that race go would rank among the top three STUPID things open wheel/persons in racing ever did.

Eddie: Why not stop running your yap in public and start negotiating with the IRL in a more professional fashion?

IRL: If you had a collective brain, you'd hire Eddie to run the league and pay him anything he wanted.
                              Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍