Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For selfish (non-sponsor) reasons, I like CART's TV package...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For selfish (non-sponsor) reasons, I like CART's TV package...

better than the IRL's.

I've got a dish, got a VCR.

What I don't have is IRL qualifying (which CART fans do).

Remind me why this year's TV deal is better than last year's?

More IRL2day?

Saw John's comment on qual coverage on IRL2day.

Did IPS get some of quals time set-aside?

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: mattndallas ]
    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

call back later, I think you will change your mind!

Comment

I like it too. I would love to see friday, saturday and sunday coverage for the IRL. I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want that.

Comment

Originally posted by OutKast:
        <STRONG>I like it too. I would love to see friday, saturday and sunday coverage for the IRL. I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want that.</STRONG>
        I guess Tony could time-buy, but what sort of professional racing series would actually pay to be shown on TV? You'd be a laughingstock.
        "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

I love the IRL, but oval track qualifying is boring as heck. When there's just one car on the track, the veiwer can't get any perspective on how fast the car is going. I don't think you want the first time veiwers first experience with the IRL being qualifying, they may never tune in again.
          "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
          Vice President, Marketing
          IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

I'm furious that they changed the brodcast team. It was working and people were getting to know the guys. I may turn the league off altogether if I have to listen to Paul Page. He is why I stopped watching CART.

Paul Page....Pook's secret weapon.
            I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
              <STRONG>
              Paul Page....Pook's secret weapon.</STRONG>
              I get it, the IRL planted Joe at CART, and now CART has planted Paul.

Comment

The point isn't that I think a qualifying show is so riveting that I can't turn it off. It is a matter of driver exposure. If it is at 1 AM EST, it is still only 10 PM PST, still viewing time.

Anyway, on qualifying shows, every drivers ends up getting a 30-60 second interview. This exposes drivers to fans, makes them more personable. Makes them a person and not just a helmet & name. It allows the fans to find someone they like/dislike, relate to etc..
                Fan relating to drivers is why NASCAR is so popular. It is a missed opportunity to get every driver in the league a bit of exposure time, not to mention the bit of sponsor exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
                  <STRONG>I'm furious that they changed the brodcast team. It was working and people were getting to know the guys. I may turn the league off altogether if I have to listen to Paul Page. He is why I stopped watching CART.

Paul Page....Pook's secret weapon.</STRONG>
                  Doctor: Every day you give us a new reason why you stopped watching CART or why you started being an IRL fan. Mute your tv and tune into IMS radio, I think you can get it online now.

Comment

"for selfish reasons"

That's the only reason I care about. I'll let the many others around here worry about dragging the sport to some other level.

New fans? Don't give him a seat next to me and don't put him in front of me in the beer line.

Having said that, IMO, if you've got Speedwhatever (I do) CART has a lot better TV deal. If, on the other hand, you're amongst the vast majority that don't have it, CART hardly has a TV package.

As far as no quals goes, that's terrible for racefans. While quals on ovals may be boring for some it's still live racing to me. I both watch and tape quals from all three formula series when they are on.

If nothing else sameday quals are a great promo for the next days race.
                    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird:
                      <STRONG>"for selfish reasons"

That's the only reason I care about. I'll let the many others around here worry about dragging the sport to some other level.

New fans? Don't give him a seat next to me and don't put him in front of me in the beer line.

Having said that, IMO, if you've got Speedwhatever (I do) CART has a lot better TV deal. If, on the other hand, you're amongst the vast majority that don't have it, CART hardly has a TV package.

As far as no quals goes, that's terrible for racefans. While quals on ovals may be boring for some it's still live racing to me. I both watch and tape quals from all three formula series when they are on.

If nothing else sameday quals are a great promo for the next days race.</STRONG>
                      I knew Railbird would agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by starrcam:
                        Mute your tv and tune into IMS radio, I think you can get it online now.[/QB]
                        Who are the IMS radio commentators?
                        I'm dead now.

Comment

For my IRL qualifying it will have to be Pole Day at Indy and qualifying at Michigan, live and in person!!!

I have to think that from the "ratings" qualifying got last year, we were the only one's watching!

Just remember, you can always follow it live on the net at www.indyracing.com.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER:
                            <STRONG>

I get it, the IRL planted Joe at CART, and now CART has planted Paul.
                            </STRONG>
                            Wow! That's really dirty!

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
                              <STRONG>I guess Tony could time-buy, but what sort of professional racing series would actually pay to be shown on TV? You'd be a laughingstock.</STRONG>
                              So will ABC be a laughing stock for paying millions of dollars to show IRL races that pull a .7 on Saturday night and 1.2 on Sunday afternoon instead of just doing a time buy with CART?

Wouldn't ABC have been smarter to just to TG that they only want the Indy 500? What is a one day 5.5 rating worth?

When it is all said and done ABC might be the laughing stock in terms of return on investment. If Newscorp is writing down the value of it's sports contracts the other networks will be doing the same.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X