Offenhauser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offenhauser

Does anyone currently own the rights to the "Offenhauser" brand name when it comes to racing engines?
    "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

How about Meyer-Drake?
    "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
    -Norman Mailer-

Comment

Originally posted by LorenzoBandini
      Does anyone currently own the rights to the "Offenhauser" brand name when it comes to racing engines?

...can't answer that question but here's a link to some really cool Offy engine sounds.

Offy engine
      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

The US Patent and Trademark Office web site lists the trademark as "dead".

Comment

So I guess that means that an enterprising auto racing series, faced with a prospect of a single "spec" engine anyway, could build a spec engine, slap the Offy brand name on it, say to hell with automakers and their whims and go about their business.

Why not add a supercharger to it and adjust the boost based on the track. Of course, let anyone who wants to rebuild them.
          "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Sounds great.

Can we revive the Eagle chassis too?

Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by LorenzoBandini
              So I guess that means that an enterprising auto racing series, faced with a prospect of a single "spec" engine anyway, could build a spec engine, slap the Offy brand name on it, say to hell with automakers and their whims and go about their business.

Why not add a supercharger to it and adjust the boost based on the track. Of course, let anyone who wants to rebuild them.
              Eagle/Offy. Sounds nice.
              www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Gee, while were at it why not put the engine back in the front, solving everything...
                Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

HA! Sounds like something owrs/cc would do in their never ending efforts to attach themselves to other people's real champcar history...........

Winning their knockoff "vanderbilt" cup in their "champcar" equipped with their spec cosworth "offy" engine would be quite a deal, wouldn't it????

BAHAHAHA!!!

Actually , there still is a company named Offenhauser Equipment Company, that builds vintage engine parts.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                  http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

Offy

Originally posted by sweaty
                    How about Meyer-Drake?
                    The name Meyer & Drake was never copyrighted or trademarked. Louie Meyer and Dale Drake were racers who along with Leo Goosen designed, manufacturered and built Meyer & Drake "OFFY" Engines. They did it because they had a passion for horsepower and didnt think about copyrights or trademarks. Fred Offenhauser and Meyer & Drake over the years applied for many patents on ideas they engineered into the Offy. They were always turned down by the patent office because at that time internal combustion engines were considered public domain.

Comment

I would LOVE to have that name back at Indy and tie it into a deal with a major manufacturer (preferably American - Ford?). They have a the longest winning streak at Indy, I believe. I think that record is followed by Miller, then Ford-Cosworth, then the rest of them.

Indy Car should find a way to let the little shops back into the game in 2007 and beyond. Get a blanket badge deal with an American manufacturer and divy up those Toyota & Chevy 3.0's in 2006 to Menard, Cosworth, Speedway, Mecachrome, and other shops who are dedicated to engineering no more than 2 cars for a new team. Honda wouldn't care....competition is competition.

Plus, it could make things affordable for smaller teams again.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkDonahueFan
                        I would LOVE to have that name back at Indy and tie it into a deal with a major manufacturer (preferably American - Ford?). They have a the longest winning streak at Indy, I believe. I think that record is followed by Miller, then Ford-Cosworth, then the rest of them.

Indy Car should find a way to let the little shops back into the game in 2007 and beyond. Get a blanket badge deal with an American manufacturer and divy up those Toyota & Chevy 3.0's in 2006 to Menard, Cosworth, Speedway, Mecachrome, and other shops who are dedicated to engineering no more than 2 cars for a new team. Honda wouldn't care....competition is competition.

Plus, it could make things affordable for smaller teams again.
                        "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                        -Norman Mailer-

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
                          Sounds great.

Can we revive the Eagle chassis too?

Excellent, but make mine a March.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain
                            Excellent, but make mine a March.

81C. Best looking "funny car" around. Loved that rounded nose! Or the 86C with the pointy roll hoop.
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

The 86C was a great, solid car.

As for "reviving" the Eagle nameplate, I'm pretty sure my friend Dan Gurney woud have something to say about that.
                              "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X