Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any gossip about new teams?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any gossip about new teams?

    One of the things I miss about the IRL circa 1999 was the off season gossip about the little guys putting together a team for next year. Yes most of it was smoke but some turned out.

    So any new teams this year?
    I saw the thread about the American A1 team wanting to do Indy are there any others?

    Other questions:
    Since this is the last year of the chassis, will this cause big teams to lease/sell equipment to startups?

    Will the increased ratings allow a new team to catch a sponsor (a la Rayovac with Blair a few years back)?

    With the possible void of cars for this comming year, will former team owners come back full time? I'm thinking of guys like Immke, Pelfrey, Byrd, Schmidt, Nunn, and Boat?

    Will part time teams come back in 06 as full time teams? (such as Byrd and Playa del Racing)

  • #2
    I'm not sure the ratings have increased enough in the ROI equation for a team looking for sponsors. The cars and engines still cost to much to run an entire season. The current cutbacks going into next season are almost completely due to diminished manufacturer team support and forcing the teams to make due with the sponsorship they've got. Apparently, that support equates to 1 less car for a few teams.
    Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

    Comment


    • #3
      What's sad is that a few years ago, a team could pick up a couple of used chasis, update 'em, contact a good engine builder and be in with a chance.

      Now, the truth of the matter is you need a Honda to be competitive. Thtat either requires "most favored nation" status (AGR, RLR, Penske) or an extra couple mil for the full season.

      Sponsorship is hard sell for all race teams in every series. $4 mil sponsors (or whatever it would take to field a Honda powered team, Toyota teams need not apply, imho) are tougher to find than $2 mil sponsors (or whatever it took to run the "old school" IRL season).

      It can be said that the level of professionalism in the IRL is greater today than it has ever been. Whether that is an improvement or not is (and has been) to be debated.
      "When people say there's nothing wrong with the product, that all it needs is better marketing and promotion, that's a pretty good clue they don't know they have a product nobody wants," Tommy Kendall, 6/19/04

      Comment


      • #4
        Very true comments. Back in late 90's or even back in 60's thru early 80's you would hear about little teams coming together to run the 500. In fact every year some would make it to the track. Sadly, that does not exist anymore. That is one thing the IRL really blew it on . How they allowed this series to become nothing but a handful of teams with no possibilty for small teams or new teams is beyond me.

        Comment


        • #5
          The absolute cream of the juicy gossip -here ya go. The new "IRL Superteam" is currently being formed with Mario Andretti and Dan Gurney announced as the new owners. Surprising, as Mario seemed content to sit in his son's pit area, and cheer his son's team on.

          Sponsorship from Budweiser, Wal-Mart and Wendy's are expecting in the forthcoming announcement. Most shocking of all is the expected drivers in the new 3-car "superteam".

          Mario himself will pilot the "lead car". The number 2 seat will go to Nigel Mansell, fresh off his recent win in the new GP Masters series opener in South Africa. Mansell appears to have renewed his desire to include an Indy 500 win in his impressive motor racing career resume. The number 3 seat was supposedly offered to several famous drivers, who declined it. The driver accepting the offer, and who will be ready to strap in for the season opener is none other than Michael Schumacher, who made a surprise announcement today about his decision to immediately retire from Formula 1 and the Ferrari team.

          The shock waves were felt worldwide after Schumacher made his announcement, but nowhere were they felt stronger that in Italy, were the Ferrari fans devotion to Schumacher reaches obsessive levels.

          Newspapers in the Indianapolis area are running the story on the front page of tomorrow's editions, and the announcement is expected to produce an interesting twist in the ongoing battle for American Race fan's interest. For nearly a decade, NASCAR has been taking all the money, all the interest, and saddest of all, all the best young American drivers. Interest in American open-wheel racing has sunk to new lows. But now, everything has been turned upside down, because of this new open-wheel "superteam". We wish them good luck, and God speed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KineticEnergyX2
            One of the things I miss about the IRL circa 1999 was the off season gossip about the little guys putting together a team for next year.
            Your memory wears rose colored glasses. I remember quite clearly that when the "glorious" 1999 season ended, there was almost no team activity in the off season. I was quite surprised the IRL was even able to fill the WDW grid.
            "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Richie Racer
              The absolute cream of the juicy gossip -here ya go. The new "IRL Superteam" is currently being formed with Mario Andretti and Dan Gurney announced as the new owners. Surprising, as Mario seemed content to sit in his son's pit area, and cheer his son's team on.

              Sponsorship from Budweiser, Wal-Mart and Wendy's are expecting in the forthcoming announcement. Most shocking of all is the expected drivers in the new 3-car "superteam".

              Mario himself will pilot the "lead car". The number 2 seat will go to Nigel Mansell, fresh off his recent win in the new GP Masters series opener in South Africa. Mansell appears to have renewed his desire to include an Indy 500 win in his impressive motor racing career resume. The number 3 seat was supposedly offered to several famous drivers, who declined it. The driver accepting the offer, and who will be ready to strap in for the season opener is none other than Michael Schumacher, who made a surprise announcement today about his decision to immediately retire from Formula 1 and the Ferrari team.

              The shock waves were felt worldwide after Schumacher made his announcement, but nowhere were they felt stronger that in Italy, were the Ferrari fans devotion to Schumacher reaches obsessive levels.

              Newspapers in the Indianapolis area are running the story on the front page of tomorrow's editions, and the announcement is expected to produce an interesting twist in the ongoing battle for American Race fan's interest. For nearly a decade, NASCAR has been taking all the money, all the interest, and saddest of all, all the best young American drivers. Interest in American open-wheel racing has sunk to new lows. But now, everything has been turned upside down, because of this new open-wheel "superteam". We wish them good luck, and God speed.
              And as if that wasn't enough of a blockbuster, my neighbor's cousin's brother-in-law's boss's neice used to date a guy who lives next door to the UPS driver whose supervisor's best man (at his second of three weddings, if you must know) used to work for Jack Roush's gardener.

              From what my neighbor hears, the entire Roush organization is leaving NASCAR effective THIS MONDAY and moving all drivers, sponsors, and associated resources to the IRL - along with one or two Grand Am races. They're not even going to the banquet.

              THIS IS BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Playa Del?
                Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KineticEnergyX2
                  One of the things I miss about the IRL circa 1999 was the off season gossip about the little guys putting together a team for next year. Yes most of it was smoke but some turned out.

                  So any new teams this year?

                  Other questions:
                  Since this is the last year of the chassis, will this cause big teams to lease/sell equipment to startups?

                  Will the increased ratings allow a new team to catch a sponsor (a la Rayovac with Blair a few years back)?

                  With the possible void of cars for this comming year, will former team owners come back full time? I'm thinking of guys like Immke, Pelfrey, Byrd, Schmidt, Nunn, and Boat?

                  Will part time teams come back in 06 as full time teams? (such as Byrd and Playa del Racing)
                  RIP =<o =""></o>

                  MoNunn Racing<o =""></o>

                  Thursday, September 8th, 2005 at 10:00AM GMT<o =""></o>

                  2920 Fortune Circle West Indianapolis, IN 46241<o =""></o>

                  Complete Liquidation - Everything Goes!<o =""></o>

                  <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o>

                  2005 Panoz IRL Car - ran in Indy 500 this year! (#5)<o =""></o>

                  2005 Panoz IRL Car - backup car for Indy 500 this year! (#5T)<o =""></o>

                  2001 G-Force IRL Car - won Kentucky Speedway 300 (#21)<o =""></o>

                  1990 Lola T-9000 Indy Car, owned by Dick Simon Racing, driven by Scott Brayton. Engine removed and mounted on stand.<o =""></o>

                  Samsonite/Viceroy Special Indy Car built by Parnelli Jones driven by Joe Leonard in the 1972 Indy 500<o =""></o>

                  <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
                  <o =""></o>


                  Sam Schmidt Motorsports<o =""></o>

                  Thursday, November 17th, 2005 at 10:00AM EST<o =""></o>

                  8227 Northwest Blvd Indianapolis, IN 46278<o =""></o>

                  Featuring IRL Cars, Semi Tractor, Transporter, Shop Equipment<o =""></o>

                  <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o>

                  Panoz 2005 Specification IRL Car: Backup Car in Indy 500 this year! (#70)<o =""></o>

                  2002 Dallara/Chevrolet Motor: Won at Nashville Speedway in 2002! (#44)



                  It looks like the trend is going the other direction. Small teams can't afford to keep up with the big money. Existing teams have lost sponsors. Teams closing shop.


                  May I ask, what new spec.? None announced.
                  <o ="">
                  </o>

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    And we were starting to have fun with the gossip subject of the thread. Which is why I'm working on Maytag as a new sponsor, specifically their line of gas dryers for the wet blankets some people like to toss onto everything.
                    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                    "They're criminals"
                    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NattyOars
                      RIP =<o =""></o>

                      MoNunn Racing<o =""></o>

                      2005 Panoz IRL Car - ran in Indy 500 this year! (#5)<o =""></o>

                      2005 Panoz IRL Car - backup car for Indy 500 this year! (#5T)<o =""></o>

                      Sam Schmidt Motorsports<o =""></o>

                      Thursday, November 17th, 2005 at 10:00AM EST<o =""></o>


                      Panoz 2005 Specification IRL Car: Backup Car in Indy 500 this year! (#70)<o =""></o>


                      It looks like the trend is going the other direction. Small teams can't afford to keep up with the big money. Existing teams have lost sponsors. Teams closing shop.


                      May I ask, what new spec.? None announced.
                      <o ="">
                      </o>

                      My question is who is buyinig these cars? Will we see them at Homestead?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KineticEnergyX2
                        My question is who is buyinig these cars? Will we see them at Homestead?
                        Well, I believe Chip bought one or two of Nunn's G-forces to help replenish his demolished supply. I could be wrong.
                        Last edited by rev-ed; 11-18-2005, 04:40 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ganassi is switching to Dallara for 2006
                          "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

                          Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

                          "Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

                          As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

                          SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LorenzoBandini
                            Your memory wears rose colored glasses. I remember quite clearly that when the "glorious" 1999 season ended, there was almost no team activity in the off season. I was quite surprised the IRL was even able to fill the WDW grid.
                            I also remember just as clearly that the 2000 IRL season was competitive and that there was actual bumping (which for those new IRL fans meant that there were actually cars/entries/drivers that DIDN'T make the race at Indy and had to go home). Sorry, but give me those glorious days in a heartbeat.

                            All I know is there **** better be some activity with smaller teams at Indy, because if there isn't, its going to be an ugly and potential sport-killing month of May (sorry for the doom, but its true). And, who knows how many full-time cars we will have? Right now, just getting out of the teens would be a major accomplishment. Not good......
                            IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

                            "I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              New teams? I'd be happy if the same teams and drivers that ran the 2005 season started the 2006 season...........plus Jeff Simmons..........
                              SENسR MODERATOR......

                              "Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X