The World Of Major League Open Wheel Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World Of Major League Open Wheel Racing

PLEASE DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE TIRED OF HEARING THE SAME OLD WORN OUT ARGUMENTS...I APOLOGIZE, BUT I'M JUST TRYING, TRYING DESPERATELY TO HANG ON AND REMAIN AN INDY CAR FAN.

----------------------------------

Unbelievable...really...when you think about it.

Since it's inception, it's been shown time and time again that Indy cars have exciting side by side racing...yet...

While NASCAR puts 195,000 people in the seats in a November race in Texas, you can't even get a ticket at a lot of places like Richmond, Virginia... Kansas City, Ks., Bristol, Tn.

Why? 43 cars...with recognizable, marketable drivers...

Why or why can't the heads of major league open wheel racing come up with a engine/chassis package for open wheel cars that is affordable?

If it's affordable we'll see the return of the "small" teams. If we have the small teams, again we see American short track drivers having a shot at Indy.

Take Levi Jones...kid from Olney, Il.; just won the USAC Sprint Car championship. What's the chance of him even getting a shot in an IRL car these days? Slim to none, so eventually he along with others will head south. Sure, there's a ton more money in NASCAR and a guy like Levi Jones might go anyway, but at least with drivers like him would have a choice.
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Originally posted by ghost
    Since it's inception, it's been shown time and time again that Indy cars have exciting side by side racing...yet...
    ...no one seems to care?

Perhaps it's because there wasn't a market for an open wheel, formula aero, rear engine racing series to begin with.

Perhaps it's because, probably by accident more than business wit, CART had found the correct mixture of ovals, road and street races that drew the maximum number of fans that would be interested in OW racing to begin with.

Perhaps, had Tony been sincere in trying to build a series that actually gave FE American oval racers the best "Opportunity" to succeed, he'd have tanked the rear engine, euro-formula car design and gone with something more front engine like.

Perhaps a vast majority of OW fans that tune out the IRL don't find side-by-side racing as exhillerating as some here do.

just a few thoughts that are JMO.
    Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by ghost
      PLEASE DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE TIRED OF HEARING THE SAME OLD WORN OUT ARGUMENTS...I APOLOGIZE, BUT I'M JUST TRYING, TRYING DESPERATELY TO HANG ON AND REMAIN AN INDY CAR FAN.

----------------------------------

Unbelievable...really...when you think about it.

While NASCAR puts 195,000 people in the seats in a November race in Texas, you can't even get a ticket at a lot of places like Richmond, Virginia... Kansas City, Ks., Bristol, Tn.

Why? 43 cars...with recognizable, marketable drivers...

Why or why can't the heads of major league open wheel racing come up with a engine/chassis package for open wheel cars that is affordable?

If it's affordable we'll see the return of the "small" teams. If we have the small teams, again we see American short track drivers having a shot at Indy.

Take Levi Jones...kid from Olney, Il.; just won the USAC Sprint Car championship. What's the chance of him even getting a shot in an IRL car these days? Slim to none, so eventually he along with others will head south. Sure, there's a ton more money in NASCAR and a guy like Levi Jones might go anyway, but at least with drivers like him would have a choice.
      Here's a thought: Consider the sheer size of NASCAR as a sanctioning body compared to the IRL, or even CART before the split.

Consider the number of series NASCAR sanctions, compared to the IRL, or to CART before the split.

What NASCAR has that open wheel doesn't is a clear, defined, logical feeder system. Opportunities for drivers to show their stuff... and opportunities for their teams to make money and move up.

When the IRL has that, you will see more team owners and more cars on the grid, and you will see more fans, and you will see a series in much better shape.
      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
      --Danny Noonan

Comment

Take Levi Jones...kid from Olney, Il.; just won the USAC Sprint Car championship. What's the chance of him even getting a shot in an IRL car these days? Slim to none,
        plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.....
        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

I truely believe the problems with open wheel racing began when the owners started CART. Before this USAC ran the series and most of the drivers came out of sprint cars. They ran ovels over and over and were good at it. When CART wanted to go to street and road courses there became a market for the formula 1 wantabe's to come here and run. As CART went to fewer ovels the market for ovel racers deminished. I feel this power play has never healed. It just has different money behind it. This also made it a boom for NASCAR, the open wheel racers who ran ovels had a place to go. This made the feeder system and easy fit for the France family. Gordon,Newman,Johnson,Irwen went made money, lots of money. I can remember watching a sigment on TV once that going stock car racing was so much cheaper because they didn't need as many cars to compete. At that time in the 70's they had two cars per team. Indy car teams had seven or eight per driver. Now see how times have changed NASCAR teams have as maney as 15 cars per driver or team. Money has shifted. France has the power and open wheel will never recover with the money boys running two series. Car counts will stay down (no sponcer money). American drivers going to NEXTEL.

Comment

Just a thought here - perhaps the feeder series (MIPS) should mix in some smaller paved ovals and penetrate the Saturday night markets - Irwindale, IRP, Memphis, Gateway, South Boston, etc. anywhere the Silver Crown Series may travel to give those crowds a shot a seeing what an Indy style car can do and to give those young drivers a desire to try it.
            Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

just because Levi Jones won a USAC championship doesnt mean he should get a shot at Indianapolis.. He needs to earn it by running the Pro Series or Atlantics which is one step away from Indycars.. He needs formula car experience and then his results in a formula car feeder series will determine if he is qualified to run Indycars..
              "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Just to run on with Chris's thought...

Just because Levi Jones won the USAC championship doesn't mean he WANTS to run ICS.

Another problem.
                ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff
                  just because Levi Jones won a USAC championship doesnt mean he should get a shot at Indianapolis.. He needs to earn it by running the Pro Series or Atlantics which is one step away from Indycars.. He needs formula car experience and then his results in a formula car feeder series will determine if he is qualified to run Indycars..

Or, try to get a CTS ride for a season or two. Maybe run a season of NBS and maybe, if he's anygood get a shot at a CUP ride. Personally I see that that as the more likelihood.

Comment

Maybe MIPS should make it a rule that it's owners must draw their drivers from oval racing series only.
                    "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                    -Norman Mailer-

Comment

Originally posted by hully25
                      I truely believe the problems with open wheel racing began when the owners started CART. Before this USAC ran the series and most of the drivers came out of sprint cars. They ran ovels over and over and were good at it. When CART wanted to go to street and road courses there became a market for the formula 1 wantabe's to come here and run. As CART went to fewer ovels the market for ovel racers deminished. I feel this power play has never healed. It just has different money behind it. This also made it a boom for NASCAR, the open wheel racers who ran ovels had a place to go. This made the feeder system and easy fit for the France family. Gordon,Newman,Johnson,Irwen went made money, lots of money. I can remember watching a sigment on TV once that going stock car racing was so much cheaper because they didn't need as many cars to compete. At that time in the 70's they had two cars per team. Indy car teams had seven or eight per driver. Now see how times have changed NASCAR teams have as maney as 15 cars per driver or team. Money has shifted. France has the power and open wheel will never recover with the money boys running two series. Car counts will stay down (no sponcer money). American drivers going to NEXTEL.

Actually you'd be wrong. On a very good thread over on Howards board it was pretty much proven, via a lot of good data provided by DaveL, that USAC racing stars were starting to fall by the wayside long before Cart came about or street or road races. In fact, it was the advent of the rear engine OW Indy car that spelled doom for most USACers trying to make a run in USAC's top series which also happened to run the Indy 500. If CART's diversity in venues did anything it was to drive the popularity of the series, especially in events outside of Indy, to heights not reached previously before when USAC ran things. That includes oval tracks.
                      Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by sweaty
                        Maybe MIPS should make it a rule that it's owners must draw their drivers from oval racing series only.
                        I don't agree with that, but Graham Rahal just got his MIPS licence by testing on a road course. I'd like to see him test on a superspeedway before letting him race on one. Being unable to run on an oval is much more dangerous than struggling with road courses. They could require both and restrict licence tests to ovals with infield road courses to make things easier on the teams.
                        It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

What's wrong with open wheel racing/IRL being a nitch sport? Seems like Nascar has the lowest common denominator market wrapped up pretty tight. Just because something isn't popular doesn't mean it is broken or bad. What sells more a year, Budweiser or Dom Perignon?

The only thing that truly concerns me about open wheel racing is the huge potential for death and serious injuries. Watching Nascar cars bounce off of each other at 165 MPH is amusing, watching IRL cars hit each other at 185+ and burst into flames and have to wonder if the driver lived or will ever race again just isn't that appealing to me.
                          Thanks Downforce!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
                            Just to run on with Chris's thought...

Just because Levi Jones won the USAC championship doesn't mean he WANTS to run ICS.

Another problem.

A huge problem. Now that NASCAR is the new road to Indy and that NSACAR rewards a hard working and talented short tracker while the two major league open wheel series doesn't, the sprint car driver that looks to Indy Cars is becoming fewer and fewer. In short a talented short tracker doesn't need ICS or CCWS anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier R142
                              I don't agree with that, but Graham Rahal just got his MIPS licence by testing on a road course. I'd like to see him test on a superspeedway before letting him race on one. Being unable to run on an oval is much more dangerous than struggling with road courses. They could require both and restrict licence tests to ovals with infield road courses to make things easier on the teams.
                              He got a license? Where did you read that?
                              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X