X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new entry for 2006 Indy 500

This from the A1GP website:

Race fans attending the Indianapolis 500 - the most important race on the American racing calendar - next May will be made even more aware of A1Team USA, as seatholder and CEO Rick Weidinger is planning to enter a car and run it in the full stars and stripes livery of his A1GP car.

Plans are still being drawn up, but the technology company entrepreneur wants to use the experience he gained when co-owning a car in the Indy Racing League in 2004 to boost the exposure of A1 Team USA. No choice of driver has been made, but both Bryan Herta (who made his A1GP debut last weekend in Australia) and Director of Race Operations Scott Sharp have
    the oval racing experience and desire to occupy the cockpit.

Originally posted by USMarine2041
    This from the A1GP website:

Race fans attending the Indianapolis 500 - the most important race on the American racing calendar - next May will be made even more aware of A1Team USA, as seatholder and CEO Rick Weidinger is planning to enter a car and run it in the full stars and stripes livery of his A1GP car.

Plans are still being drawn up, but the technology company entrepreneur wants to use the experience he gained when co-owning a car in the Indy Racing League in 2004 to boost the exposure of A1 Team USA. No choice of driver has been made, but both Bryan Herta (who made his A1GP debut last weekend in Australia) and Director of Race Operations Scott Sharp have
    the oval racing experience and desire to occupy the cockpit.

why would herta or sharp run this car when they both have full time rides on top teams????
    In loving memory of three of the best!

-Scott Brayton
    -Tony Renna
    -Dan Wheldon

Comment

Good question. My understanding is that both are under contract in the IRL for 2006.

Maybe, it was a poorly written article and both have expressed desire to drive Rick's A1GP car in the off season. Sharp is a technical advisor to the A1GP due to his relationship with Rick when he bought into Kelley racing in 2004.

Somebody please clear this up.
      Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

it would be good news.. Plus the ride will be an American thank god..
        Last edited by rev-ed; 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM.
        "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

If the money is green and being spent in the good old USA, then we shouldn't scare off those who want to spend it here. :mad:
          Last edited by rev-ed; 11-15-2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

That is Donohue with an O, Mr. MarkDonohueFan
            Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration

Comment

Americans want to watch Americans not a bunch of rich Brazilians. British, and Mexicans.. People relate to NASCAR drivers cause they are Americans. Who are the most popular Indycar driver right now?

1. Danica
              2. Hornish

Guess what? They are Americans!!!
              Last edited by rev-ed; 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

I like watching Brazillians.
                “I think some drivers must still think it’s Dan. They keep flipping me off.” - Dario Franchitti

Comment

Anyone who thinks lack of Americans is the IRL's biggest problem is kidding themselves

I never said it was the biggest problem but it is a major problem.. Sorry but 50% Americans is not acceptable in series that is based in the USA..
                  Last edited by rev-ed; 11-15-2005, 04:36 PM.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff
                    Americans want to watch Americans not a bunch of rich Brazilians. British, and Mexicans.. People relate to NASCAR drivers cause they are Americans. Who are the most popular Indycar driver right now?

1. Danica
                    2. Hornish

Guess what? They are Americans!!!
                    Congratulations on your patriotism, but I'm not certain if your blanket statement of NASCAR drivers relating to the US viewing public only because they are US citizens is entirely aplicable. Among other things, NASCAR drivers has a HUGE marketing juggernaut backing them up. Their popularity is not solely because of their nation of birth.

For what its worth, I too consider myself a patriot and I rather liked watching Castroneves, De Farren and Kanaan dicing it out on the track. Personally, I don't care what the nationality of the driver is.
                    Last edited by rev-ed; 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM.
                    For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

Hmmmm,

There are multiple ways to state an opinion. One rallies the masses, while another rallies the zealots.

#1 -- 'That's certainly good news, an American team owner looking to put another American into the Indy 500 - good deal. This is a team I will enjoy watching'.

or

#2 -- ""it would be good news.. Plus the ride will be an American thank god.. No more Brazilians Please!!!!""

I see #1 as being supportive of American drivers.
                      I see #2 as being anti-Brazilian.

Thus, my theory is that #1 would have been a better way for Chris to state his preference for American drivers.
                      We flipped our finger to the King of England
                      Stole our country from the Indians
                      With god on our side and guns in our hands
                      We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff
                        Americans want to watch Americans
                        WE do?

Or YOU do?
                        -Kaaveh
                        http://www.humansofracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kaaveh
                          WE do?

Or YOU do?

I wanna watch chubby guys with funny names.
                          We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by step33T
                            I wanna watch chubby guys with funny names.
                            Look in the mirror...
                            -Kaaveh
                            http://www.humansofracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kaaveh
                              Look in the mirror...
                              I don't have a funny name
                              We took it for our own!

Comment