Congratulations Roger Yasakawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Roger Yasakawa

Roger Yasakawa made the podium at Juan Pablo Montoya's allstar charity kart race. F1 and Indycar stars mixed it up in Columbia.

Dan Wheldon took pole, Helio led until a wheel fell off...looked like mucho fun with some excellent "karters".

I saw that too. Interesting outcome. Could this be the start of the Yasakawa to F1 rumors?
    Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

SPEED's reporter at the event seemed very "jazzed" that the IRL drivers did so well against their F1 competition.

Comment

Dan would've run better if he didn't get run over by 7 other drivers,thanks Helio!
        "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

I think this event pretty much showed that when put in eqaul cars, IRL drivers are just as good as F1 drivers on a road course. (Roger is a backmarker in the IRL but takes the podium. Dan qaulifies fastest, Helio would have won it a wheel hadn't come off.) We all know IRL drivers are better on ovals. So looks to me like F1 is just a bunch of hype with overated drivers.
          Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

Originally posted by Radny
            I think this event pretty much showed that when put in eqaul cars, IRL drivers are just as good as F1 drivers on a road course. (Roger is a backmarker in the IRL but takes the podium. Dan qaulifies fastest, Helio would have won it a wheel hadn't come off.) We all know IRL drivers are better on ovals. So looks to me like F1 is just a bunch of hype with overated drivers.
            A small percentage of F-1 drivers are pretty good. The rest not so special.

Comment

I am just curious how you have drawn this conclusion from a Charity go kart event first of all, as with other then Montoya there were no top F1 drivers entered in the race?

Schumacher, Alonso, Kimi, and the list goes on and on not present.

Are you aware that Michael Schumacher basically one-offed the World Karting Championship one year with no practice and finished 2nd?

Mclaren's stand in driver wins the race and guys like Marc Gene, Pedro de la Rosa and Antonio Pizzonia's are suddenly the benchmark for F1? Helio and Wheldon are top drivers in the IRL are they not?

I also think it's an interesting statement "we all know IRL drivers are better on ovals". How do we know that exactly? I've always felt it was the road racers who have the advantage when it comes to running ovals vs. road courses.

Ironically, Juan Montoya won the Indy 500.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabbiano
                I am just curious how you have drawn this conclusion from a Charity go kart event first of all, as with other then Montoya there were no top F1 drivers entered in the race?

Schumacher, Alonso, Kimi, and the list goes on and on not present.

Are you aware that Michael Schumacher basically one-offed the World Karting Championship one year with no practice and finished 2nd?

Mclaren's stand in driver wins the race and guys like Marc Gene, Pedro de la Rosa and Antonio Pizzonia's are suddenly the benchmark for F1? Helio and Wheldon are top drivers in the IRL are they not?

I also think it's an interesting statement "we all know IRL drivers are better on ovals". How do we know that exactly? I've always felt it was the road racers who have the advantage when it comes to running ovals vs. road courses.

Ironically, Juan Montoya won the Indy 500.
                Sure did and even skipped a practice day to take gram shopping.

Comment

Well, the problem with F1 is that there is no way to tell anything about how good a driver actually is. The cars and even the tyres are more important than the driver. Look at Schumacher. I'm willing to admit that on the basis of past achivements he is the best road racing driver in the world. Problem is he was an also ran this year, and SpeedTV's driver ratings placed him 42nd. Hardly seems appropriate for a six (or is it seven) time world champ.

So a charity go cart event where all the cars are equal does seem like the best scale available, even if its not a very good one.

As for ovals, I agree, there is no way to know for sure the IRL drivers are better on ovals. However, I think its safe to assume they get better with practice.

From what I can tell, I think there are certainly some good, or possibly even great drivers in F1. I think there are also some underqualified ones in there for financial reasons, etc. In recent years a fair number of guys (Tora comes to mind) ran in F1 before running over here and didn't excactly light things up. If F1 drivers were all that much better than IRL drivers, then I would have expected Tora to have been more impressive, for example.

In any event, this is the IRL forum, where I think its fair to bash the F1 drivers as compared to IRL drivers. Now if I did that on the F1 forum, I think it would be bad form. Ultimately, this may be the problem F1 guys face when they race against anyone else - they are supposed to be better, perhaps a lot better. If they aren't its a loss for them.

But I have digressed from the thread topic - Roger's accomplishment. Kudos to him, and the other IRL drivers.
                  Last edited by Radny; 11-16-2005, 06:38 PM.
                  Randy

Comment

We all know IRL drivers are better on ovals. So looks to me like F1 is just a bunch of hype with overated drivers.
                    Sure Radny, keep telling yourself that

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain
                      Sure Radny, keep telling yourself that
                      a Kurt, didn't you kill yourself? How's life on the other side? Looks like they do have internet there, at least. Wireless, I assume.
                      Last edited by Radny; 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM.
                      Randy

Comment

Well, the problem with F1 is that there is no way to tell anything about how good a driver actually is.... Look at Schumaker. I'm willing to admit that on the basis of past achivements he is the best road racing driver in the world....
                        There is a driver in F1 named Schumacher whose achievements are legendary. Perhaps you are referring to him.

In any event, this is the IRL forum, where I think its fair to bash the F1 drivers as compared to IRL drivers. Now if I did that on the F1 forum, I think it would be bad form.
                        I tend to think that bashing is bashing (and therefore, bad form) wherever it is done.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Well, the problem with F1 is that there is no way to tell anything about how good a driver actually is. The cars and even the tyres are more important than the driver. Look at Schumacher. I'm willing to admit that on the basis of past achivements he is the best road racing driver in the world. Problem is he was an also ran this year, and SpeedTV's driver ratings placed him 42nd. Hardly seems appropriate for a six (or is it seven) time world champ
                          And why do I need the SpeedTV driver ratings? Isn't this the entity that votes a driver of the quarter/year and excludes F1 drivers?

I mean, the American OW racing scene really is a trip isn't it? We will embrace Euro drivers that show up over here because let's face it, it's hard to break into F1 no matter where you are from...but we shun the drivers who make it over there...

I think Montoya is among the best we have ever seen on these shores, and your theory is blown out of the water with one statement:

Kimi is faster in the same car.

Comment

Is Roger the guy who went from last to first in the first turn pile-up? That might have helped his finishing position. Anyway, it was all in good fun.
                            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                              There is a driver in F1 named Schumacher whose achievements are legendary. Perhaps you are referring to him.
                              Oh yeah, that guy. I remember him. He's the guy that didn't want to race in the USGP in 2001 (a race I attended). He's also the guy who gave his teamate a win in the USGP 2002 (?) as a tip, showing little respect for the many drivers who died trying to win race in Indy, as well as the former F1 greats like Clark and Hill who were proud to win there. And he's the guy who played along with the farce known as USGP 2005. I remember him well. Not well enough to remember the spelling of his name, (and not caring enough to bother to look it up) but I do remember him and some of his legendary accomplishments.
                              Randy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X