Indy Car drivers rate their peers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Car drivers rate their peers

Indy Car drivers rate their peers in an article in the latest IndyCar Series magazine. Every driver was allowed to choose five drivers. They couldn't choose themselves, and since it was a secret ballot they didn't have to choose their team mates. A total of 19 drivers voted:

#10 (tie) Briscoe and Scheckter

#9 Scott Sharp

#8 Scott Dixon

#7 Vitor Meira

#6 Dario Franchitti

#5 Patrick Carpentier

#4 Helio Castroneves

#3 Sam Hornish Jr

#2 Tony Kanaan

#1 Dan Wheldon

I was surprised to see Buddy Rice drop off the list, and to see the tie for #10.

There is also a nice graphical season review over several pages. It includes a "Super Grid" based on average starting positions. Guess who has the pole? Guess who's number 6, ahead of Dan Wheldon and Bryan Herta*??

* Herta was tied for the most poles, with 3.

Guess who completed the most laps?
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

I bet Kanaan voted for himself.

Comment

No, he voted for Dario at the last second. Oops, wrong topic!
      "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Brickyard500
        I bet Kanaan voted for himself.
        That is legal.

Oops, guess it was illegal.

Go Tony!
        Last edited by Benson477; 11-13-2005, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Wow. Sheckter got dissed! Interesting.

Comment

According to the article, self-votes weren't allowed. Doesn't say how they ensured that, though . I doubt one vote either way didn't change the result, though.
            "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

A lot of the keyboard shoes here would have a hard time rating Sharp above Scheckter, or rating Briscoe even with Scheckter.

Without so much as looking up a thing, my WAG for pole - Danica. My guess for most laps - Carpentier.

Comment

No, and yes.

Danica gridded 9th on average.

Patrick completed 3081 out of 3140 - the most by anyone.

btw- Sharp finished 5th overall in the official standings for Fernandez Scheckter was 9th, but he did get his own article in the magazine

Brian's Wish

Comment

So if it was a secret ballot, how do they know drivers didn't vote for themselves?
                  Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13
                    No, and yes.

Danica gridded 9th on average.

Patrick completed 3081 out of 3140 - the most by anyone.
                    Some would say it's easier to complete those laps when you're running by yourself and away from traffic.
                    Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Cant_hit_apex
                      Wow. Sheckter got dissed! Interesting.
                      At some point you have to have finishes and wins to be considered good.

Frankly, the talent just runs out at #10.

Comment

Very interesting results.

Most interesting is includion of Carpentier, especially in relation to Barron.

It appears not much weight is given to winning poles, i.e. Danica missing.

Comment

Although not strictly an IRL ranking, Here is the official skinny according tose who KNOW at SPEED.

Intergalactic Ratings for Best Driver in the Universe!!

I have no idea how they come up with this, but since it is on SPEED, it has to be right.
                          ...Always follow the money

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal
                            Although not strictly an IRL ranking, Here is the official skinny according tose who KNOW at SPEED.

Intergalactic Ratings for Best Driver in the Universe!!

I have no idea how they come up with this, but since it is on SPEED, it has to be right.
                            It looks more to me to be a cross between a popularity contest and the results of a coin toss at some out of the way beer joint.

Comment

how does Briscoe even make this list? and tied with Scheckter no less?

I'm also surprised to see Scott Sharp rated so high, considering what I've heard half the field say about him in radio transmissions over the years.
                              "Race at Indy? Or not race at Indy? It's not that complicated"
                              -Eddie Cheever

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X