7. Danner + 24.118

8. Cheever + 32.205

9. Lammers + 32.778

10. Salazar + 43.419

11. Tambay +1:11.584

12. Arnoux +1:12.736

13. Laffite + 17 laps

14. Johansson + 28 laps
    Last edited by treadlightly; 11-13-2005, 08:27 AM.

This was actually really good - I'm pleasantly surprized!

The first ten laps were a bit dull while they got into the swing of it, but at least there was enough mechanical grip for them to run with each other. I don't think the circuit leant itself to much overtaking, either, as the straights are pretty short there.

The close running was reminiscent of the good old days of F1 for me - the Mansell / Fittipaldi battle was vintage stuff, so I'm hoping for more of that kind of thing in 2006 - I'll definitely be tuning in.

Comment

Heck of a website: Masters

When and where will it be (re)broadcast? I missed that on the site.
      "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Darn! I missed it. Anyone know if there is going to be a re-air?
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Great show, wish we could all have seen it and all to come.

P.S. OT: Why is it, with only one yank in the event and all the rest foreignors, we as race fans love every single one of them for what they are doing and have done in the past.

Comment

I didn't know that my initial innocent posting of this event would ignite such a firestorm about our Man Ed. I'll go on record to say, I'm proud of him and his career accomplishments. And the accomplishments of all that participated in this race. But I am most proud that Eddie carried the American flag during his F1 career and continues to do so with this series. I couldn't ask for a better representative. This truly is an elite group from a series once considered racing's most elite. I believe my excitement for this event came from the fact this once was the finest road racing that ever was. For me F1's (just my opinion) culture has waned in the last 10 years or so. Perhaps the loss of Senna took the wind out of my sails. But it will always remain rich in tradition for many of us F1 fans around the world.

http://www.gpmasters.com/news_131105final.htm

How cool to have 70,000 people witness this special event. Clearly, it's an idea that has taken off. Hope EC comes back to the States and writes an article about his experience of being back with the gang and in a race car. I'm sure he had a ball as did the rest of the guys. Cheers to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Benson477
              P.S. OT: Why is it, with only one yank in the event and all the rest foreignors, we as race fans love every single one of them for what they are doing and have done in the past.
              Benson, it's not really any big secret that American race fans hold foreign drivers to a bit of a higher standard than they do American drivers. Non-American drivers driving in American series have to prove themselves to American fans either with their driving or through their enthusiasm. It's just the way it is. Case in point: Gil deFerran. I'd always viewed Gil as a bit of a cold fish and was never able to really latch onto him, but when he broke down in tears in Victory Lane at Indy in '03, that's when it became clear to me that this guy had that passion, the same passion that had always been obvious to us American fans in guys like Vuky, Foyt, & Jones. These guys' passion was more obvious to us as American fans because of the absence of any sort of cultural divide between the driver and the fans. Simple as that. Is it fair? Perhaps not, but, as I said, that's just the way it is.

Sorry I didn't catch the race. I hope it's rebroadcast.

Congrats to ol' Nige. I have great memories of him gently kissing the North Chute wall in '93 trying to close the gap on Emmo.
              "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan
                Benson, it's not really any big secret that American race fans hold foreign drivers to a bit of a higher standard than they do American drivers. Non-American drivers driving in American series have to prove themselves to American fans either with their driving or through their enthusiasm. It's just the way it is. Case in point: Gil deFerran. I'd always viewed Gil as a bit of a cold fish and was never able to really latch onto him, but when he broke down in tears in Victory Lane at Indy in '03, that's when it became clear to me that this guy had that passion, the same passion that had always been obvious to us American fans in guys like Vuky, Foyt, & Jones. These guys' passion was more obvious to us as American fans because of the absence of any sort of cultural divide between the driver and the fans. Simple as that. Is it fair? Perhaps not, but, as I said, that's just the way it is.

Sorry I didn't catch the race. I hope it's rebroadcast.

Congrats to ol' Nige. I have great memories of him gently kissing the North Chute wall in '93 trying to close the gap on Emmo.
                Well, I certaily can't argue with that. We gave seen what Fittipaldi, Mansell, Montoya, deFerran, Castroneves, Wheldon (just to name a few we can all relate to) can do so it does put rather a strain on the local chaps to make muster sometimes.

Yep, Nige came close to being da man that day.

Comment

Originally posted by treadlightly
                  I didn't know that my initial innocent posting of this event would ignite such a firestorm about our Man Ed. I'll go on record to say, I'm proud of him and his career accomplishments. And the accomplishments of all that participated in this race. But I am most proud that Eddie carried the American flag during his F1 career and continues to do so with this series. I couldn't ask for a better representative. This truly is an elite group from a series once considered racing's most elite. I believe my excitement for this event came from the fact this once was the finest road racing that ever was. For me F1's (just my opinion) culture has waned in the last 10 years or so. Perhaps the loss of Senna took the wind out of my sails. But it will always remain rich in tradition for many of us F1 fans around the world.

http://www.gpmasters.com/news_131105final.htm

How cool to have 70,000 people witness this special event. Clearly, it's an idea that has taken off. Hope EC comes back to the States and writes an article about his experience of being back with the gang and in a race car. I'm sure he had a ball as did the rest of the guys. Cheers to all.
                  Senna's death took the wind out of many sails and opened some eyes to the fact these men are (inter)national resources. Track safety in F-1 is now a priority instead of a joke.

A man that wore the American flag who impressed me most was Mario Andretti. One evening at a quiet and deserted Indy trackside he was asked why he still wore the American flag after it had long become unpopular with other drivers. His answer was to the effect, "Oh, that is simple. I chose to be an American. They were born here."

And yes, the GP Masters is definitely a refreshing event to furnish a tapering off from a season of racing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Benson477

A man that wore the American flag who impressed me most was Mario Andretti. One evening at a quiet and deserted Indy trackside he was asked why he still wore the American flag after it had long become unpopular with other drivers. His answer was to the effect, "Oh, that is simple. I chose to be an American. They were born here."
                    Reminds me of the opening cermonies ABC showed of the 1990 500. During the playing of the national anthem, they cut to show a couple of drivers. Some were talking, some putting on their helmets. I remember Bobby Rahal in particular, just sort of rolling his bespecticled, helmeted head from side to side, as if going, "Come on, let's get it over with." Only one driver that they showed had bowed his head and closed his eyes-Mario.
                    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

"Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Hi,

I was there, it was an awesome experience, those guys all still have it , and to make it that much better were all very friendly when asking for autographs and pics etc. Rene Arnoux being the best of the bunch from what i saw.

Still have to pinch myself every now and again to make sure i was really there and saw all of them in the flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                          Darn! I missed it. Anyone know if there is going to be a re-air?
                          Please let me know too. I want to see this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain
                            Please let me know too. I want to see this!!!
                            Same here!
                            "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                            Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                            www.fairtax.org

Comment

Me too!
                              In Memory of Brian Hall (Brian's Wish) - Racing for Kids - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Cheever's still "My Guy"

"How's this for a political platform? Don't lie or cover-up!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X