• Show
Clear All

• Sad News-

My heart goes out to his son.

Local race car driver dead
    The Bakersfield Californian

Posted: Friday November 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Last Updated: Friday November 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Former National Hot Rod Association Top Fuel and Funny Car driver Bruce Sarver of Bakersfield is dead at the age of 43, victim of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Kern County Coroner Jim Malouf confirmed Friday morning.
    Sarver, a two-time winner in the NHRA's Funny Car class, killed himself sometime Thursday, Malouf said.

Sarver turned professional in 1996 and twice over a five-year career finished in the top 10 in Funny Car standings and in 1998 he placed 10th in Top Fuel points. He won two Funny Car events, including a season-opening win at Pomona in 2001, and had two runner-up finishes in Top Fuel. Sarver raced Top Fuel from 1996-1998, took a year off from racing in 1999 before resuming in the Funny Car class in 2000.

Sarver began his racing career at the age of 12 in karting. From 1975-1994 he won 176 major karting events, including the Central Valley Championship four times. He entered into Pro Stock division racing at Mesa Marin in 1985 and raced there until 1994.

Sarver is survived by his 15-year-old son Cole.

For more information on this story, check Bakersfield.com later today, watch 29 Eyewitness News tonight or read Saturday's Californian.

Comment

I've never heard of this driver up to the above post, but it's a shame that anyone would let his demons push him that far.
      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
      --Danny Noonan

Comment

Don't know why you did it, don't really care.

Farewell Racer!!!
        ...---...

Comment

This is very sad.

Here is a 2002 article with pic of Bruce.

http://www.nhra.com/2002/events/race.../b_sarver.html

He got to experience what most can only dream of.

Comment

Very sad indeed. Death and loss are always difficult to embrace but suicide is a
            devastation on so many levels. My heart goes out to both Bruce and his son.
            In Memory of Brian Hall (Brian's Wish) - Racing for Kids - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Cheever's still "My Guy"

"How's this for a political platform? Don't lie or cover-up!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeff Chiszar]Don't know why you did it, don't really care.

We should all care why someone one self inflicts themselves in to eternity.. while my thoughts go out for him, my prayers are for his son and those who loved him that are left to wonder why and forever question what they could have done to have prevented it...
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

There aren't really any adequete words, are there?
                "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X