Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just something for a bit of perspective

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #2


    What's this supposed to tell us?

    We already know Michael Andretti sucked in Formula 1.
    - Make a note of the word 'Gobbly-gook'. I like it and I want to use it more often in conversation.
    --Yes, sir.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FenderFree


      What's this supposed to tell us?

      We already know Michael Andretti sucked in Formula 1.
      You would not be so confused if you took the time to study the stats as I did and learn from them. For example look at each drivers average points per race. That is just for starters. It's not earth shaking nor particularly new information but it will indicate, among other things, that as a rookie Michael had a better average points per race than one of the veterans.

      So who sucked more??

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Benson477
        You would not be so confused.......
        He's not the one who's confused.

        So who sucked more??
        The guy who never had the nads to try driving a racecar himself.
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Doc Austin
          The guy who never had the nads to try driving a racecar himself.
          "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

          2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

          2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

          2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

          Comment


          • #6
            Let's have a little more perspecdtive here.

            I've got an idea. Let's have some intelligent perspective instead of mindles bashing. It's getting a little sickening to see Eddie slagged off by guys who have never sat in a real race car or competed at the top levels of the sport........in other words, keyboard experts.

            Outside of Eddie Cheever's single season as domistique to Alain Prost at Renault, he never really had a competitive ride in F1. It was only his second season as well.

            Most of the time he was stuck with something like an Osella or some other piece of junk. Even at that, eddie was good enough to find ful time employment in F1, and is the only part time driver accdepted by Tom Walkinshaw. Eddie was so blisteringly fast in sportscars that Tom took Eddie whenever he could have him.............on Eddie's terms.

            Eddie was the spearhead of Lancia's Lemans assault, but that wasn't a very good car either, Still a major manufacturer saw Eddie's value as team leader and development driver. Oh, Eddie also won races for BMW in the major European championship as part of the BMW junior team, but I'll leave the bashers to look all of that up. I'm not doing all your homework for you. You'll just find a reason to poo any good results anyway.

            About the only time Eddie ever had a good car under him was during that era in the World Sports Prototype championship from 1986-88. He never ran the full championship because of his formula one committments, but he was more often that not the man to beat in sportscars. He was the development driver and the anchor of the world championship winning Jaguar XJR9 team. In spite of a limited schedule and a still emerging car, Eddie scored the following wins in world championship competition at a time when the best drivers in the world took part in what is generally regarded as the last golden age of sportscars.

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1986/86silv.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1987/87jerez.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1987/87silv.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1987/87nurb.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88jarama.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88monza.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88silv.html

            http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88fuji.html


            The bashers can say whatever they feel like but Eddie Cheever competed at the top of the sport in world championship competition longer than any American in history. This not only includes Formula One, but even on a limited basis, he had a career in world championship sportscar racing that rivalled even those who won the championship. He has more wins than both Martin Brundle and Raul Bosel, teammates who won those championships with Eddie's assistance. There is little doubt that had Eddie chose to run the full schedule he would have won at least one of those championships.
            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doc Austin
              Let's have a little more perspecdtive here.

              I've got an idea. Let's have some intelligent perspective instead of mindles bashing. It's getting a little sickening to see Eddie slagged off by guys who have never sat in a real race car or competed at the top levels of the sport........in other words, keyboard experts.

              Outside of Eddie Cheever's single season as domistique to Alain Prost at Renault, he never really had a competitive ride in F1. It was only his second season as well.

              Most of the time he was stuck with something like an Osella or some other piece of junk. Even at that, eddie was good enough to find ful time employment in F1, and is the only part time driver accdepted by Tom Walkinshaw. Eddie was so blisteringly fast in sportscars that Tom took Eddie whenever he could have him.............on Eddie's terms.

              Eddie was the spearhead of Lancia's Lemans assault, but that wasn't a very good car either, Still a major manufacturer saw Eddie's value as team leader and development driver. Oh, Eddie also won races for BMW in the major European championship as part of the BMW junior team, but I'll leave the bashers to look all of that up. I'm not doing all your homework for you. You'll just find a reason to poo any good results anyway.

              About the only time Eddie ever had a good car under him was during that era in the World Sports Prototype championship from 1986-88. He never ran the full championship because of his formula one committments, but he was more often that not the man to beat in sportscars. He was the development driver and the anchor of the world championship winning Jaguar XJR9 team. In spite of a limited schedule and a still emerging car, Eddie scored the following wins in world championship competition at a time when the best drivers in the world took part in what is generally regarded as the last golden age of sportscars.

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1986/86silv.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1987/87jerez.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1987/87silv.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1987/87nurb.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88jarama.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88monza.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88silv.html

              http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1988/88fuji.html


              The bashers can say whatever they feel like but Eddie Cheever competed at the top of the sport in world championship competition longer than any American in history. This not only includes Formula One, but even on a limited basis, he had a career in world championship sportscar racing that rivalled even those who won the championship. He has more wins than both Martin Brundle and Raul Bosel, teammates who won those championships with Eddie's assistance. There is little doubt that had Eddie chose to run the full schedule he would have won at least one of those championships.
              So he's been blessed with talented co-drivers that can carry him...what's your point?

              (I'm just kidding!)
              -Kaaveh
              http://www.humansofracing.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kaaveh
                So he's been blessed with talented co-drivers that can carry him...what's your point?

                (I'm just kidding!)
                I do not think you have to be kidding. It is a point to consider.
                One problem in F-1 and CART was that they could not share rides.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Benson477
                  I do not think you have to be kidding. It is a point to consider.
                  One problem in F-1 and CART was that they could not share rides.
                  Cheever carried Bosel and Brundle.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Benson477
                    I do not think you have to be kidding. It is a point to consider.
                    One problem in F-1 and CART was that they could not share rides.
                    you go ahead and keep basing your attacks on on your one dimensional "stats" - many of the rest of us will stick with real world experience

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Benson477
                      One problem in F-1 and CART was that they could not share rides.
                      Look at the statistics and figure it out for yourself. Yep. Cheever shared his ride in the WSPC, and it propelled both his teammates, and the team to the world championships.

                      Whenever Cheever could make a WSPC weekend Walkinshaw would put him in the car with whichever Jaguar driver was ahead in points. Check the stats again. Cheever won alot of races with Raul Bosel the year Raul was champion, and the same with Brundle when he became champion. Raul won most of his races with Cheever. Same with Brundle.

                      About the only constant in Jaguar's world championships was Eddie Cheever.

                      .
                      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Riccardo Patrese called the Alfa Romeo 185T he drove in 1985 'the worst piece of ....' of his entire career of 256 Grand-Prix. His teammate was Eddie Cheever.


                        Before that, Patrese had driven the Arrows A2 in 1979, a car whose aerodynamics were so out of whack that it tried to take off (as in fly off the ground) the first time he drove it. The A2 was based on a similar concept of ground effects as the Lotus 80 (if you were a Mario Andretti fan at the time, he made more than a few choice comments about that car). Do a Google search on 'purpoising' and you'll understand...

                        For Patrese to say the 185T was a worse car than the A2 speaks volumes about the Alfa.

                        Benson477, none of Cheever's F1s were EVER in the same league as the McLaren MP4/8, with the notable exception of the Renault RT40 which brought Cheever his best results.


                        And then, ask Alain Prost to compare Renault Sport in 1983 and McLaren International in 1993 as organizations...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OK....I have been reading Benson's trash for days now and I have finally had it!

                          I have never met Benson....but I do know Eddie Cheever....and there is no doubt in my mind that Benson is not worthy to even walk in Eddie's shadow!

                          Barb
                          In Memory of Brian Hall (Brian's Wish) - Racing for Kids - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

                          Cheever's still "My Guy"

                          "How's this for a political platform? Don't lie or cover-up!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've been thinking a little bit more about it and IMO Cheever evokes the same sorts of emotions as Paul Tracy, but from different sides of the OW "fence". They are both brash, outspoken, solid competitors, whose foes won't acknowledge their accomplishments and whose supporters think they are among the very best. There is just something polarizing about each man that prevents them from having a wider following (IMO it's their big mouths).

                            Oh, and they both have one Indy 500 win...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ND500BARB
                              OK....I have been reading Benson's trash for days now and I have finally had it!

                              I have never met Benson....but I do know Eddie Cheever....and there is no doubt in my mind that Benson is not worthy to even walk in Eddie's shadow!

                              Barb
                              Well said, Barb. As another TFer who knows Eddie and considers him a friend, I agree with your sentiments.
                              "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
                              -Author Unknown-

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X