Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheever can still drive a race car

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cheever can still drive a race car

    For anyone that is interested in an IRL Team Owner driving this weekend. After the 2nd practice session today in South Africa, he is 6th quick. Pretty good since he just sat himself down in one of these cars. But that ole nemesis Nigel Mansell is still the quickest. But then again, he had two-day testing to get used to it.

    Posted the times on the F1 thread.

  • #2
    Originally posted by treadlightly
    But that ole nemesis Nigel Mansell is still the quickest. But then again, he had two-day testing to get used to it.
    I'd love to see Mansell in a sprint car.
    Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by treadlightly
      For anyone that is interested in an IRL Team Owner driving this weekend. After the 2nd practice session today in South Africa, he is 6th quick. Pretty good since he just sat himself down in one of these cars. But that ole nemesis Nigel Mansell is still the quickest. But then again, he had two-day testing to get used to it.

      Posted the times on the F1 thread.
      Ole Nige would only need one day and he'd still be quicker than Eddie.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kurt Cobain
        Ole Nige would only need one day and he'd still be quicker than Eddie.
        That is pretty obvious and indisputable just by reviewing results from past experiences in various series.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ya know, in terms of sheer talent, I think Nige and Eddie are close. However Mansell is that "tough nut". He would go for opportunies that Eddie would think about and not go for. I think Derrick Warwick will show he's faster than Eddie just as he was at Arrows.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tcsparky
            Ya know, in terms of sheer talent, I think Nige and Eddie are close. However Mansell is that "tough nut". He would go for opportunies that Eddie would think about and not go for. I think Derrick Warwick will show he's faster than Eddie just as he was at Arrows.
            Compared to Nigel Cheever is a lap down and always was.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Benson477
              Compared to Nigel Cheever is a lap down and always was.
              Maybe. But Eddie has one thing "Nige" will never have. Little trophy he picked up back in '98 at The Speedway, driving his own car no less. And I'm sure it means at least as much as the F1 races and the World Championship Mansell won for thoroughly dominant teams.
              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

              Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

              Comment


              • #8
                Again, Cheever had a more than complete career in sportscars.
                "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
                  Maybe. But Eddie has one thing "Nige" will never have. Little trophy he picked up back in '98 at The Speedway, driving his own car no less. And I'm sure it means at least as much as the F1 races and the World Championship Mansell won for thoroughly dominant teams.
                  If Nige had the same amount of starts as Cheever had, I'm sure he'd have a 500 win too...

                  ...but since he hasn't, we'll just have to sit here and debate whether or not that thought would hold true!
                  -Kaaveh
                  http://www.humansofracing.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kaaveh
                    If Nige had the same amount of starts as Cheever had, I'm sure he'd have a 500 win too...
                    What was stopping him? If we have learned anything in the last 10 years is that the only thing that keeps someone from racing at Indy is their own decision not to.
                    "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Realizing who Nigel raced against in 92 and who Cheever raced against in 98 I believe the Brit would have given the comparison a snort of derision and went on with his game.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LorenzoBandini
                        What was stopping him? If we have learned anything in the last 10 years is that the only thing that keeps someone from racing at Indy is their own decision not to.
                        I think retirement played a big factor...and I don't think he cared about it as much.

                        Remember, the argument here is the talent against Eddie Cheever. Given equal equipment and equal starts, the Nige would have waxed Cheever.

                        I think this GP Masters Series will prove that.
                        -Kaaveh
                        http://www.humansofracing.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Benson477
                          Realizing who Nigel raced against in 92 and who Cheever raced against in 98 I believe the Brit would have given the comparison a snort of derision and went on with his game.
                          Really?

                          Here's who Nige raced with in '92...

                          Riccardo Patrese, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Gerhard Berger, Johnny Herbert. Erik Comas, Aguri Suzuki, Mika Hakkinen, Michele Alboreto, Mauricio Gugelmin, Ukyo Katayama, Eric van de Poele, Olivier Grouillard, Thierry Boutsen, Pierluigi Martini, Gianni Morbidelli, J J Lehto, Christian Fittipaldi, Andrea de Cesaris, Jean Alesi, Ivan Capelli, Gabriele Tarquini, Karl Wendlinger,
                          Bertrand Gachot, Martin Brundle, Paul Belmondo. Andrea Chiesa. Stefano Modena, Giovanna Amati, Enrico Bertaggia, and Alex Caffi.

                          I think the two fields compare awfully well in terms of quality, road racing versus oval racing considered.

                          "Snort of derision."
                          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

                          Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kaaveh
                            I think this GP Masters Series will prove that.
                            How about a Toldjaso?
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

                            Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
                              How about a Toldjaso?
                              I've got a $20 that says I'm right.
                              -Kaaveh
                              http://www.humansofracing.com

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X