Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Robin Miller Get One More Story in the Indianapolis Star???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Robin Miller Get One More Story in the Indianapolis Star???

I'm talking about the very well written obituary that ran this week on Don Brown. While there is no credit listed (as there shouldn't be on an obituary) the story sure reads like one that Robin has written. Whoever it was that wrote it certainly deserves credit for capturing the spirit and the life and times of Don Brown. Don was a real racer and as a fabricator and designer he had few equals. And as the obit states it's too bad that racing has left people like Don behind for the most part. Here's the link to Don's obituary. Does this sound like something that Robin may have written to any of you? And if it was, whether you loved him or hated him, Miller could always come through with a story like this one on Don Brown when the situation called for it. No matter whom the author was they have certainly captured Don Brown's passion for racing and life.

http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obi...=show&id=49339

I'd bet you are correct. No matter who wrote it, it was well done. Never knew him, but after reading that You kinda feel like you did. Obviously one of those characters from the Speedway that can never be replaced.

R.I.P. - Racer
    Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

I've posted many times before how disappointed I was in the Star immediately after Dale Earnhardt died. I wasn't even a fan of his, but I've always considered the Indianapolis Star to be the one daily newspaper to respect auto racing and report on it with that respect. Had Robin still been with the Star, I expect I would have read a great obit with a couple of little tales I've never heard before revealing some insight into #3's life. That's just the way he could do it.

Instead, I read a front page commentary about how the paper's top sportswriter doesn't get racing and the '500' is all about the snake pit plus a couple of obligatory jabs at nascar fans.

It sounds like Robin did write that. Nobody else at the Star has the kind of insight to write something like that, nor does anyone there care enough to do it.

I wish he'd write more great stuff like that, even if the subject is still with us.

It sure beats making up stories about Ganassi.

Comment

Since my wife works in the funeral biz I can tell you if you're interested, you could call Conkel funeral home and ask for the Funeral director in charge of the arrangements for Mr. Brown and explain how touched you were by the obit and whether the family would mind if he revealed the author of the piece. I'm not sure the exact state laws in Indiana but disclosing the obit author usually isn't a problem for the bereaved family, especially considering the profile of the deceast.
        Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

A lot of newspapers utilize interns or writers that need something to do to write obits on well-known people ahead of time and keep them updated.

That way, if someone passes on, the newspaper already has an obit on file ready to go.

So, in this case, it wouldn't be a longshot that Mr. Miller did write this at one time.
          -Kaaveh
          http://www.humansofracing.com

Comment

Reads more like Scalzo to me. Miller couldnt' carry Scalzo's pen.

In any case, it seem to be a fitting obit.
            ...---...

Comment

I thought it sounded like Robin as soon as I read a few lines. I wouldn't bet against it!
              It really IS all good!

Comment

It sure did sound like RM when I read it.
                He probably did write it, The Star now charges for obits and accepts obits written by others.
                My guess is RM wrote it.

Comment

My personal feelings re RM aside, it was a very nice tribute. I can remember being very moved in particular by RM's obit for Billy Vukovich III.
                  #BCForever

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc
                    obituary ...........Robin
                    No comment.
                    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Read the obit. It must have been written by someone who knew him... That rules out the interns. It closes with his friends telling stories..."We won't start till after midnight". He must have been a friend... Someone who was "there".
                      My bet IS on Robin.... One of the few things he has written lately that I can believe. Very well done by whomever...
                      ZOOOM
                      "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                      James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

AS soon as I saw Millers name I thought he wrote it.....It was OK if you like his style of writing.......I don't....but it was nice someone took the time to remember the guy in that way.

Comment

I would say so...

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/20729/

Comment

Nice job by Robin on both pieces. If only he would always use his powers for good, not evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                              Nice job by Robin on both pieces. If only he would always use his powers for good, not evil.
                              His pieces are ALWAYS for the good, they are just perceived to be evil. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                              If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

Jesus Saves! Passes to Noah.....He shoots, he scores!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X